How'd you get your knowledge? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 Old 01-21-2013, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 931
How'd you get your knowledge?

Hello everybody,

How did you get all your knowledge? Not just memorizing modles but like the diffrents between a 550 and a 575, what tires are the best for track day, diagnosing a computer malfunction etc. Me being 13 i have a lot to learn and I am very interested in cars. Did you just learn from books? Hands on? Or??? I am very exited to get going into the car buissness. And hope someday to own a Ferrari..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 01-22-2013, 02:01 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by uberschprung View Post
Hello everybody,

How did you get all your knowledge? Not just memorizing modles but like the diffrents between a 550 and a 575, what tires are the best for track day, diagnosing a computer malfunction etc. Me being 13 i have a lot to learn and I am very interested in cars. Did you just learn from books? Hands on? Or??? I am very exited to get going into the car buissness. And hope someday to own a Ferrari..
At your age you read, read and read. Later you drive, drive and drive. It's as simple as that.

At your age I was devouring driving reports, tech sheets and photos. It was a lovely time.

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.
post #3 of 43 Old 01-22-2013, 02:01 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
It comes with having an interest in it combined with the passing of years. It does help being an owner, or a mechanic working on the cars. You can't learn everything from the internet or books. But you can learn a great deal!

No doubt you'll be much more knowledgeable when you're 15. Just keep it up.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Future: No idea
Present: 458 Italia, 550 Maranello
Past: 365BB x 2,
330GTC

post #4 of 43 Old 01-22-2013, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

Thank guys. I do have quite a bit of manual driving experience. 89' Jetta 5 speed wolfsberg. But we sold that car last year....we had it long enough that I learned the basics plus heel toe downshift and little stuff...
post #5 of 43 Old 01-22-2013, 02:03 PM
Owner

Quote:
Thank guys. I do have quite a bit of manual driving experience. 89' Jetta 5 speed wolfsberg. But we sold that car last year....we had it long enough that I learned the basics plus heel toe downshift and little stuff...
Way to go!! Heel-toe, you Ayrton Senna you! Did you manage to get it right and smooth whilst braking too?

If you have space where you live, get a beat up manual rear wheel drive car and rally around like a madman. That's what I did at your age with an old VW bus at my father's gravel lot around his business. I learnt a lot and burnt a lot of petrol.

Better still, start go-karting. It's a blast for young and old!

Salve,
Capo

post #6 of 43 Old 01-22-2013, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Capolino View Post
Way to go!! Heel-toe, you Ayrton Senna you! Did you manage to get it right and smooth whilst braking too?

Better still, start go-karting. It's a blast for young and old!
I got it pretty smooth......me and a friend are both into cars very much and were both looking at cars, nissan 300zx, 240sx, mustang(v6), jetta, ford focus(my family has a 2000 zx3 kona edtion and its a fun car!), audi a4. I'm far away from senna He's a god at F1, but thanks for the complement! I am actually working on getting my junior go kart license for a track near by......
post #7 of 43 Old 01-22-2013, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

We live on a 42 acres mostly woods but its not all ours so i cant really go that fast.
post #8 of 43 Old 01-22-2013, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

I'm also a big shooter.
post #9 of 43 Old 01-22-2013, 03:29 PM
Owner

Quote:
I'm also a big shooter.
Very good, young man!

I do some precision shooting and speed shooting with big game calibers. I've brained three crocks at 90m, 115m and 121m, lying down with a .375 H&H Magnum. I also smoked a klipspringer at 195m, with the same .375.

Salve,
Capo

post #10 of 43 Old 01-22-2013, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

Cool. Do you shoot ar-15's??
post #11 of 43 Old 01-22-2013, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

Oh BTW, I also schwing!
post #12 of 43 Old 01-22-2013, 03:41 PM
Owner

My passion is big game hunting in wild big game areas with old big game rifles.

I only shoot big game calibers.

Salve,
Capo

post #13 of 43 Old 01-22-2013, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Aw.
post #14 of 43 Old 01-22-2013, 03:48 PM
Owner

Quote:
Oh BTW, I also schwing!
Are you of North Swiss descendence?

Salve,
Capo

post #15 of 43 Old 01-22-2013, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

I don't know where in Switzerland but I know I am of Swiss descendence. I enjoy the sport very much. Practice every Wednesday at 6:30 pm.
post #16 of 43 Old 01-22-2013, 03:57 PM
Owner

Quote:
I don't know where in Switzerland but I know I am of Swiss descendence. I enjoy the sport very much. Practice every Wednesday at 6:30 pm.
Schwing is mainly a North Swiss sport, it means to throw (an opponent as in wrestling) but I assume you knew that.

Salve,
Capo

post #17 of 43 Old 01-22-2013, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

Yes.
post #18 of 43 Old 01-22-2013, 08:24 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,858
Capo- Do you use any of the large express cartridge guns? Those large caliber guns were always interesting. Fired a 458 once (not that big comparitively) and it rolled me backwards. Have also fired a 50 cal single shot, and that one shakes you all the way to your shoes, but not as much kick because it weighed 28 lbs.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #19 of 43 Old 01-23-2013, 05:36 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Capo- Do you use any of the large express cartridge guns? Those large caliber guns were always interesting. Fired a 458 once (not that big comparitively) and it rolled me backwards. Have also fired a 50 cal single shot, and that one shakes you all the way to your shoes, but not as much kick because it weighed 28 lbs.
The 458 is popular with apprentices, cheap ammo, sufficient KO power but slightly low on penetration and no long range precision of course. It is very smooth to shoot.

My favourite guns are a set of three nitro express doubles I had made bespoke in London. They are my babies. I have hunted it all with them and they have indeed saved my bacon on a couple of incidents.

#1: .375 Flanged Magnum Nitro Express, Smallest legal cal for ele. Extremely good long range for a double since I had the barrels regulated at 100 yards (standard being 50 yards). If I zero the detachable scope at 180m I can smoke any plains game from zero to 200m, gun well rested. The penetration of this cal is impressive.

#2: .500/416 Nitro Express, now we're talking big cals. This is a .500 3"1/4 necked down to .416. It is a true star. KO is impressive but oddly, so is long range precision and even more so penetration. Barrels regulated at 80 yards and detachable scope make for a very versatile double. I'd say that this double in my spec; no double out there beats it on versatility and over all efficiency.

#3: .500 Nitro Express, this is the big boy. The trackers call it the makuru mbobo, the big double. I have no scope for it as I think it is aesthetically wrong. It is made for close encounters which is what I always strive for no matter which double I use. KO power is naturally very good and so is penetration. Long range precision is out of the question due to the rough safari V-sights made for instinctive shooting at close range.

The biggest cal I've shot is the .700 H&H Nitro Express. It shoots a record 1000 grain bullet, enormous. The recoil is ok because the double weighs 11kg!! I have yet to hear of a hunter who can carry it all day long, seven days a week for a month's time. The extremely few hunters I know of who have used it, all had a tracker carry the gun. That's against my principle. I will always carry my own gun and ammo. The day I can't do that any longer is when it's over. My doubles are light weight yet shootable since they are very well made and fit me like a dancing partner. The .500 is only 4,9kg. I had both barrels go off at the same time accidentally and that was interesting... I was sitting down ready to fire, awaiting a magnificent Southern Cape Buffalo to graze past in thick jezz. It would show any second in a gap in the dense jezz only 20 yards away. The gap was small but big enough to see the whole buff briefly.

First enters the head, then the shoulder, then ba-baaang!! My camera man was right behind my shoulder filming and as I rolled my 100kg body backwards from the recoil of a double tapped .500, my shoulder punched that camera straight into the face of the poor guy... The buff got it straight in the boiler room and pulled up the landing gear 50 yards into the jezz, stone dead. Later by the evening fire it was all happy days and another good story was being forged by the warmth of the burning mopani lugs...

I always hunt with a camera man, for two reasons: Firstly, what you experience for real in the wild bush can sound too incredible to a European city crowd. The camera proves what's what. Secondly, I have so far always stood my ground when being charged. The day I lose a charge I will still have stood my ground, you absolutely must to stand a chance. The camera will show what's what...

Salve,
Capo

Last edited by il Capolino; 01-23-2013 at 05:54 AM.
post #20 of 43 Old 01-23-2013, 09:20 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,858
Capo- Those are really some high end rifles. Would probably make my shoulder sore for a week if I fired one. Cartridges must be really expensive, but then I guess you do not need too many of them.

Anything left edible out of that buffalo? I tend to think of impact force and the 458 was around 8000 and the 460 Weatherby was around 10,000. Yours must be way, way above that.

1000 grain bullet? You could hurt someone badly just throwing it at them.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode