Cool Australian animal - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 03-31-2004, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,211
Cool Australian animal

I knew about the Wombats (spelling?), kangaroes, en offcourse Koala's, but I didn't knew this cool creature comes from Australia to.
It's a Pogona Vitticeps, and this guy is called Pogo. It's one of the animals a friend of mine has, another is a 75 cm King's Python.
As always, fullsize pics are available on request.

3kids4fish and other Australians, I'm sure you have some cool pics from Australian animals, please post them here, I love them
I still want to visit Australia some time.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 03-31-2004, 03:25 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,684
Are you a collector, Dr Bob.
post #3 of 25 Old 03-31-2004, 03:29 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 900
That thing is freakin awesome.

post #4 of 25 Old 03-31-2004, 03:49 PM
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 129
I think Pogona Vitticeps is Latin for Freakin Lizard!

Honey, it's a good invesment!
post #5 of 25 Old 03-31-2004, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale
Are you a collector, Dr Bob.
It is not mine, it is of a friend of mine. He also has a King's Python. I can also post pics of that one, but I don't have a lot of very sharp ones of it. He is sure crazy about those animals. I never really like when people keep animals where they don't belong, but at least I know he takes good care of them. He really loves them

He said I could post this pic only if I said that he really hates Ferrari's. Well, I just did
post #6 of 25 Old 03-31-2004, 04:35 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Bob
He said I could post this pic only if I said that he really hates Ferrari's. Well, I just did
That's OK, I really hate facial piercing. Cool critters though.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
post #7 of 25 Old 03-31-2004, 05:42 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete04222
That's OK, I really hate facial piercing. Cool critters though.
That's ok too...I have facial piercings and I love Ferrari's and those are cool critters! :P :-?

Do you think God stays in Heaven because she is afraid of what she sees down here?

Owner and Operator of a 2000 Jeep Wrangler. A few mods here and there... but just you wait and see what I have in store for her...
post #8 of 25 Old 03-31-2004, 06:43 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 749
OK Dr Bob, I'll have a hunt around for some cool critter pictures.

Actually one thing that I found REALLY interesting recently is the Box Jellyfish (or Sea Wasp), Chironex fleckeri. It is a large box-like jellyfish up to the size of a loaf of bread which populates certain coastal waters in northern Australia in summer (of all times!). It is extremely poisonous and is mostly avoided by not swimming at certain times.

The intersting things I learned recently (http://www.abc.net.au/rn/science/ss/...s/s1036031.htm include the facts that

1. it actually has useable eyes, with lenses (!)
2. it can swim at up to 4 knots, which is faster than most of us can manage for any distance (!!)
3. the sting from its tentacles is "20 times stronger than a white hot knife, for 20 mins" (!!!)
4. when stung, your heart pumping volume reduces to zero, your breathing fails and your flesh starts rotting - all simultaneously (!!!!)

Anyone for a swim?
post #9 of 25 Old 03-31-2004, 07:33 PM
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 129
sounds like fun . we don't have anything of that sort in my neck of the globe, the worst that can happen at my local beach is stabbing you're foot on a used seringe

Honey, it's a good invesment!
post #10 of 25 Old 03-31-2004, 07:57 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 776
If I recall correctly (though it has been a while since I heard this) Australia has like 7 of the 10 most venomous creatures in the world all living there.
Again, I may be wrong, but I do recall something of the sorts.

Do you think God stays in Heaven because she is afraid of what she sees down here?

Owner and Operator of a 2000 Jeep Wrangler. A few mods here and there... but just you wait and see what I have in store for her...
post #11 of 25 Old 03-31-2004, 09:13 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 895
Woah, cool. Cool looking thing.

Australia sure sounds intersting.
post #12 of 25 Old 04-01-2004, 01:25 AM Thread Starter

Australia is just different. It's a whole different country with different animals and different people. From what I heard of it I would love it. I hope that when I finish my school, I have enough money to live there for a few months
post #13 of 25 Old 04-01-2004, 02:43 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,684
That lizard looks friendly!!

More hansome than your friend too. :lol:
post #14 of 25 Old 04-01-2004, 04:49 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Bob
Australia is just different. It's a whole different country with different animals and different people. From what I heard of it I would love it. I hope that when I finish my school, I have enough money to live there for a few months
Yeah, Australia is different and I think you would love it. I lived in Perth, in Western Australia, for 6 months and it was cool. If you have the chance to stay down there for a few months I don't think you would regret it.

Here's a plus - The girls will love your accent. They loved my accent and I'm a Yank. Actually, I think Australian women love anything that's not Australian.

Oh and the wine - Australia produces some of the nicest tasting wines in the world.

Oh, the sports also. Australian-Rules football is the best! It is kind of like a cross between American football, rugby, soccer and basketball. Here in the U.S. I don't watch any ball sports but in Aussie I was hooked!

It is a young Country, like the U.S. so you are not going to find any 900 year old churches or anything like that. But Perth, in my opinion, is like a decent sized American city with a touch of Europe thrown in. (that might just be because they drive on the wrong side of the road). But then you drive 20 minutes and you are in the Outback.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
post #15 of 25 Old 04-07-2004, 01:40 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,516
Yo... that Pogona is mine

And indeed. Australia has an amazing amount of venomous creatures running around. Pretty amazing. No wonder the europeans sent their prisoners there during the 1700's. They must have been thinking that the animals would kill em all :P
post #16 of 25 Old 04-08-2004, 10:47 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basosz
Yo... that Pogona is mine

And indeed. Australia has an amazing amount of venomous creatures running around. Pretty amazing. No wonder the europeans sent their prisoners there during the 1700's. They must have been thinking that the animals would kill em all :P
maffen ollander :P
post #17 of 25 Old 04-08-2004, 11:25 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 770
The box jellyfish is an absolute nightmare!!

Apparantly, it's not uncommon for victims to be pulled from the water unconcious - and still screaming!!

Seeing as it's easter - you can't forget the Bilby. Even as a guy I have to admit it's cute!!
post #18 of 25 Old 04-12-2004, 07:00 PM
Owner

Here's an idiot who's lucky to be alive ... :nuts:
Attached Images

post #19 of 25 Old 04-13-2004, 09:12 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 770
That came round my office a little while ago - I'm sorry to say none of us were surprised he was an Aussie!!! :green:

Reminds me of a bloke I met up in NT called Graeme Gow - runs a place called Reptile World, and is a bit of a hero up there. When I visited with my wife, there was no-one else there, so he showed us round himself!! Really nice bloke.

He reckons he's been bitten so many times he's built up a level of resistance to it!!! He's an absolute nutcase!!
post #20 of 25 Old 04-13-2004, 03:21 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazil
That came round my office a little while ago - I'm sorry to say none of us were surprised he was an Aussie!!! :green:
Bazil I'll have you know I resemble that remark! :green: :lol:

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode