Thinking about this, - Ferrari Life
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 11-14-2012, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Owner
 
lucca brazzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Ferrari Life Posts: 862
Thinking about this,

I think Im going to pick this up after the holidays, Im ready to start regular canyon rides, away from Los Angeles .The only mod, will be bar risers, and maybe fully adjustable rear sets..
Attached Images
 
lucca brazzi is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old 11-14-2012, 12:45 PM
Owner
 
550JM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Netherlands
Ferrari Life Posts: 1,127
Nice, Lucca. Did you ever think about Ducati? You should be able to get a good deal on a 1198 now the 1199 is there. Nothing handles better and has more power then a Duc...(I know, I'm biassed)

Cheers

Jeroen

Italian bella's:
550 Maranello 7-2000 nero/nero
1974 Ducati 750 Yellow Sport
1974 Ducati 350 Desmo Yellow Sport
2010 Ducati Multistrada 1200S
(And a few Alfa Romeo's and Range Rovers)

Power is nothing without control
550JM is offline  
post #3 of 13 Old 11-14-2012, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Owner
 
lucca brazzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Ferrari Life Posts: 862
HI

Hey there thanks for your reply. The Ducati is a great bike, but very uncomfortable , and very costly to maintain, for the amount of miles between services, due to its Desmo Dromic valve actuation.Japanese bikes offer as good or better performance, for a fraction of the cost, and you can beat the piss out of them, literaly for thousands of miles . I really like the 1198 and the streetfighter, and if I was a younger man, I might consider buying one.At the dealer just a few weeks ago, I sat on one, its very uncomfortable for my liking. Two months ago, I was up at the lookout, and I saw my first, Desmosedici !! The Ducati 1198 s are not far behind !!! Brett
lucca brazzi is offline  
 
post #4 of 13 Old 11-15-2012, 12:12 AM
Owner
 
550JM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Netherlands
Ferrari Life Posts: 1,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucca brazzi View Post
Hey there thanks for your reply. The Ducati is a great bike, but very uncomfortable , and very costly to maintain, for the amount of miles between services, due to its Desmo Dromic valve actuation.Japanese bikes offer as good or better performance, for a fraction of the cost, and you can beat the piss out of them, literaly for thousands of miles . I really like the 1198 and the streetfighter, and if I was a younger man, I might consider buying one.At the dealer just a few weeks ago, I sat on one, its very uncomfortable for my liking. Two months ago, I was up at the lookout, and I saw my first, Desmosedici !! The Ducati 1198 s are not far behind !!! Brett
I partly agree with you, but the joy and experience you get from a Ducati makes it very worthwhile. Did you try theMultistrada? Maintenance evry 25k miles so that's not very costly, great riding position and a true joy to ride. (Did I mention the 150 BHP...?)

Jeroen

Italian bella's:
550 Maranello 7-2000 nero/nero
1974 Ducati 750 Yellow Sport
1974 Ducati 350 Desmo Yellow Sport
2010 Ducati Multistrada 1200S
(And a few Alfa Romeo's and Range Rovers)

Power is nothing without control
550JM is offline  
post #5 of 13 Old 11-15-2012, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
Owner
 
lucca brazzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Ferrari Life Posts: 862
Multi strada

Good morning,and thanks again for your reply.,I have not tried the Multi Strada. I will make a point to check it out,the next time Im at the dealer.How is it that the service intervals are at 25 k miles ? Is is different from Ducatis other models ? Thanks, Brett
lucca brazzi is offline  
post #6 of 13 Old 11-15-2012, 08:58 AM
 
karakal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: London
Ferrari Life Posts: 1,146
Lucca, have you ever considered the MV Augusta?

My Flickr Account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Take pictures for fun
karakal is offline  
post #7 of 13 Old 11-15-2012, 09:16 AM
Owner
 
Fiorano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Europe
Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Brett, I can see the attraction of a gsxr for sure. The Japanese reliability is a definite plus. I'm in Jeroens camp though in so far as my heart would rule the head and it would be a Ducati I'd opt for. Depending on your mileage and your physical size comfort may or may not be an issue. I rode my 848 non stop for 20 hours from Nurburgring to Dublin and I was only in approximately the same amount of pain as my friend who accompanied me on his gsxr 1000.

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
Fiorano is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old 11-15-2012, 10:22 AM
Owner
 
550JM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Netherlands
Ferrari Life Posts: 1,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
Brett, I can see the attraction of a gsxr for sure. The Japanese reliability is a definite plus. I'm in Jeroens camp though in so far as my heart would rule the head and it would be a Ducati I'd opt for. Depending on your mileage and your physical size comfort may or may not be an issue. I rode my 848 non stop for 20 hours from Nurburgring to Dublin and I was only in approximately the same amount of pain as my friend who accompanied me on his gsxr 1000.
The Multistrade is Ducati's tourer and very, very comfortable to ride, it's even got heated grips and electronically adjustable shocks including 3 riding modes: Urban 100 bhp, Sport 150 bhp and Enduro 150bhp with typical shock settings. Try her, Brett, you will love it. And guys on a GSXR will have a nice backside to look at!

Jeroen

Italian bella's:
550 Maranello 7-2000 nero/nero
1974 Ducati 750 Yellow Sport
1974 Ducati 350 Desmo Yellow Sport
2010 Ducati Multistrada 1200S
(And a few Alfa Romeo's and Range Rovers)

Power is nothing without control
550JM is offline  
post #9 of 13 Old 11-15-2012, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Owner
 
lucca brazzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Ferrari Life Posts: 862
Thx gentlemen

If I ever get lucky enough to have a person to ride, two up.,My choice for a touring bike,would be the Kawasaki Concours 1400..late model .It has the ability to have luggage bags that are , like other tourers,removable . Im just not into, the Italian motorcycles, the way you guys are .I like inline four cylinder machines, I know the MV agusta has an inline four, I have seen them out and about. Im not sure what your ages are,but Im 48, so, If I buy another sportbike, I have to set it up, to be as comfortable as possible.Even though a race rep is not suppose to be comfortable, I think with the Suzuki, I can set it up to my liking.Anyways,I always appreciate all you fellows, and thanks so much for your input . Brett
lucca brazzi is offline  
post #10 of 13 Old 11-17-2012, 06:24 AM
Owner
 
a1exander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Johannesburg RSA
Ferrari Life Posts: 1,094
I am a Suzuki fan no doubt. Guess it stuck with me from the Katana days.

Good and safe riding on it should you decide to buy.
a1exander is offline  
post #11 of 13 Old 11-17-2012, 02:17 PM
Owner
 
Brian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Austin Texas
Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucca brazzi View Post
If I ever get lucky enough to have a person to ride, two up.,My choice for a touring bike,would be the Kawasaki Concours 1400..late model .It has the ability to have luggage bags that are , like other tourers,removable . Im just not into, the Italian motorcycles, the way you guys are .I like inline four cylinder machines, I know the MV agusta has an inline four, I have seen them out and about. Im not sure what your ages are,but Im 48, so, If I buy another sportbike, I have to set it up, to be as comfortable as possible.Even though a race rep is not suppose to be comfortable, I think with the Suzuki, I can set it up to my liking.Anyways,I always appreciate all you fellows, and thanks so much for your input . Brett


I like the MV F4 750 a lot but even at 5'11 I feel like an NBA player on one. It was scaled for jockeys. I don't know if the one liter bike is bigger or not.

The Japanese bikes never feel that way.

In line fours do have a good power delivery but I think an Italian twin could make you a believer. Duc's do not have a power band like any other twin I am familiar with. Broader torque curve than most 4's but don't run out of steam at higher RPM.
If you are used to I4's the sound takes some getting used to and you will find yourself looking at the tach a lot because until you get used to it you have no idea how many RPM it is doing and you are afraid you are going to hurt it..

Very sturdy motors but like anything Italian they are a little idiosyncratic.

Last edited by Brian; 11-17-2012 at 02:25 PM.
Brian is offline  
post #12 of 13 Old 11-17-2012, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Owner
 
lucca brazzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Ferrari Life Posts: 862
thx Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
I like the MV F4 750 a lot but even at 5'11 I feel like an NBA player on one. It was scaled for jockeys. I don't know if the one liter bike is bigger or not.

The Japanese bikes never feel that way.

In line fours do have a good power delivery but I think an Italian twin could make you a believer. Duc's do not have a power band like any other twin I am familiar with. Broader torque curve than most 4's but don't run out of steam at higher RPM.
If you are used to I4's the sound takes some getting used to and you will find yourself looking at the tach a lot because until you get used to it you have no idea how many RPM it is doing and you are afraid you are going to hurt it..

Very sturdy motors but like anything Italian they are a little idiosyncratic.
Hey Brian, I understand what your saying, Im thinking, If i ever take a test ride. I might end up breaking the bank on Ducati !! lol..
lucca brazzi is offline  
post #13 of 13 Old 11-18-2012, 01:55 AM
 
Ramy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Riyadh.
Ferrari Life Posts: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucca brazzi View Post
Hey Brian, I understand what your saying, Im thinking, If i ever take a test ride. I might end up breaking the bank on Ducati !! lol..
Hey, Lucca.

Do treat yourself for a test drive.

Ducati's substitute for a one-liter would be the previous generation 1098/1198's, and the newly released and highly impressive 1199.

Having an all Italian stable might bring about a beautiful emotional connection throughout. I'm sure you're already used to what Brian called 'Italian idiosyncrasies' by now.

Would love to add a Ducati to the stable, but unfortunately they're no longer represented in the Kingdom as of last summer. They were once part of the national Bentley / Lamborghini / McLaren / Bugatti dealership who apologized by saying "we make more profit on a break change than we do per bike sold." I do think you're lucky for having the choice.

Maintenance intervals and reliability issues have supposedly improved with the latest generation, but current owners are in a better position to shed light on that claim.

Take a look at a few pictures, hear the engine note in a few videos, and take one out for a spin. It seems as if it's emotion you're looking for. Ducati won't fail you.
Ramy is online now  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
Copyright 2012 ONE Media, Inc.
FerrariLife is independently run with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA
Ferrari for Sale | Maserati for Sale