US NA Driver's : Changing Demographics - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 11-13-2012, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,196
US NA Driver's : Changing Demographics

Gender gap switch: More women than men have driver's licenses | Road Warrior

Seems females are now surpassing male drivers, at least in terms of licensed ones.

lot of stats, but interesting anyway: By 2010, 105.7 million women had licenses, compared with 104.3 million men.

Most men in jail?
Women live longer?
Males lost licenses more often?

does that mean less pregnancy due to less car use now and the ol' back seat is out the window?

or are just two-seater increased sales that demise?

inquiring minds want to know

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-13-2012, 12:25 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 212
what is the ratio of licenced drivers to all males / females... it is possible that there are more females, allowing for more of them to be licenced, yet it is also possible that as percentage of their group that males licence more drivers.... sometimes less is more :=)
post #3 of 5 Old 11-13-2012, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromage View Post
what is the ratio of licenced drivers to all males / females... it is possible that there are more females, allowing for more of them to be licenced, yet it is also possible that as percentage of their group that males licence more drivers.... sometimes less is more :=)

The closest the article hints is
Quote:
There now are 105 boys born each year for every 100 girls in the U.S. Women outnumber men later in life because they live longer — an average of 80 years for women, compared with about 75 years for men.
What I don't get considering the ratio of total males vs females is the lessening of male drivers overall. The mid 44 ageish group is larger than females but I guess the teens is for more female [rates and police problems, thought that never held many back] and the over 70 group where males are lessing. These two may be the factor, but more males being born per females means more male drivers.

think there may be too many factors to consider this a big factor, but interesting in that the total number is now female over male licensed drivers

probably means nothing yet.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan

post #4 of 5 Old 11-13-2012, 04:07 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granucci View Post
The closest the article hints is

What I don't get considering the ratio of total males vs females is the lessening of male drivers overall. The mid 44 ageish group is larger than females but I guess the teens is for more female [rates and police problems, thought that never held many back] and the over 70 group where males are lessing. These two may be the factor, but more males being born per females means more male drivers.

think there may be too many factors to consider this a big factor, but interesting in that the total number is now female over male licensed drivers

probably means nothing yet.

My guess

A. I meet more and more young people who have no interest in driving or having a car.

B. A drivers license is no longer the holy grail for 16 year old boys. At least not like it was for us and girls no longer turn their nose up a guys who don't have a license. In some circles it might actually prove to be a benefit (enviro whacko chick turned on by equally enviro sensitive dude) so one day after their 16th B day boys are less likely to be in line at DMV.

C. A license is actually more of a symbol of independence for young females than young males.

Thats my sociology lesson for today. I suppose a devotee of Freud could make a lot of my observations and 21st century sexuality.

Last edited by Brian; 11-13-2012 at 04:54 PM.
post #5 of 5 Old 11-15-2012, 02:09 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
My guess

A. I meet more and more young people who have no interest in driving or having a car.

B. A drivers license is no longer the holy grail for 16 year old boys. At least not like it was for us and girls no longer turn their nose up a guys who don't have a license. In some circles it might actually prove to be a benefit (enviro whacko chick turned on by equally enviro sensitive dude) so one day after their 16th B day boys are less likely to be in line at DMV.

C. A license is actually more of a symbol of independence for young females than young males.

Thats my sociology lesson for today. I suppose a devotee of Freud could make a lot of my observations and 21st century sexuality.
These all make sense to me. On the topic of "A," I think it has to do with more people living in cities than rural areas; where public transit is ubiquitous, for some people car ownership may simply become more of a financial burden than a convenience. Really depends what you need it for and how much of an enthusiast you are, I think.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode