2013 Maserati Quattroporte - Ferrari Life
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 Old 11-06-2012, 06:59 AM Thread Starter
 
GranTurismo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Budapest, Hungary
Ferrari Life Posts: 507
2013 Maserati Quattroporte

What do you think?


"Seize the Day, putting as little trust as possible in the future" - Horace, Carpe Diem
GranTurismo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 49 Old 11-06-2012, 07:47 AM
 
karakal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: London
Ferrari Life Posts: 1,146
very nice upgrade. Looks much more sporty.

My Flickr Account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Take pictures for fun
karakal is offline  
post #3 of 49 Old 11-06-2012, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
 
GranTurismo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Budapest, Hungary
Ferrari Life Posts: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by karakal View Post
very nice upgrade. Looks much more sporty.
Here are a few more pics:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...0778998&type=1

It might be just me, but from the back it looks like a German limousine...

"Seize the Day, putting as little trust as possible in the future" - Horace, Carpe Diem
GranTurismo is offline  
 
post #4 of 49 Old 11-06-2012, 08:52 AM
Owner
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Pacific North West
Ferrari Life Posts: 2,526
Always loved that car, but it depreciates very heavily. Not a car I would ever buy new.

2015 458 Speciale', 2014 F12, 2013 458 Rosso Scuderia (To be traded), 2012 MP4-12C, 2010 LP670 SV, 2010 Panamera Turbo, 2009 16M, 2009 Scuderia , 2008 CLK63 Cab., 2002 996 GT2, 1994 RX-7 R2
markjayw is offline  
post #5 of 49 Old 11-06-2012, 09:58 AM
Owner
Elite Member
 
t1fosI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: London, UK.
Ferrari Life Posts: 1,733
The pictures show it to be a little 'Audiesque' in the rear and interior detailing, but I like it



.
t1fosI is offline  
post #6 of 49 Old 11-06-2012, 02:58 PM
Owner
Elite Member
 
tazandjan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Ferrari Life Posts: 11,858
Still the best looking four door out there by far. Autoweek had a poll of which to have a QP or some BMW (forget which) and the QP stomped the Bimmer.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
tazandjan is offline  
post #7 of 49 Old 11-06-2012, 04:04 PM
 
RossoVeloce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: East TN
Ferrari Life Posts: 590
I may be alone on this but I don't like it. A step backwards design wise IMHO. Still a lot better than the Germans though.

Ciao Jules

Current Italian Bellas:
95 Alfa Romeo 164 LS, 1978 Fiat 124 Spider
Sometime in the Future: Red 308 GTS
RossoVeloce is offline  
post #8 of 49 Old 11-07-2012, 07:06 AM
Owner
 
maurodev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Ferrari Life Posts: 406
The new Quattroporte will be officially presented at Detroit next year. Maserati didn't provide yet its dimensions, but it should be 5200mm long (10mm more than the previous version). The V8 engine will come from Ferrari, BUT the chassis will be the infamous Chrysler 300 one !!!
The one already used for the deadly (for the Lancia brand) Thema. Just a few hundred of those monstruosities sold in Europe in the last year.

A 'brilliant' intitiative which has been repeated this year with the even more horrible Lancia Flavia (a rebadged Chrysler 200), and which will follow the same fate. I have seen it and I wouldn't drive it even if given to me for free !

No doubt Marchionne declared the Lancia brand dead: he thoroughly killed it...

Returning to the engines, in addition to the V8, there will be a TD V6 produced by the VM of Cento AND a V6 which will be a modified versione of the Pentastar equipping the Chrysler 300 !!!

I have serious doubts that the Chrisler 300 'LX' chassis, developed 8 years ago, will improve the current Maserati Quattroporte. On the contrary I fear we are facing another 'Marchionata' which will spell disaster for another historical Italian brand.

ciao
Mauro

_____________________________________

'99 550 Maranello

Vintage Alfa Romeo: '53 1900 saloon, '59 2000 Spider Touring, '61 Giulietta Sprint, '64 2600 Sprint, '72 Montreal, '72 Giulia Super 1300 'Polizia'

Bikes: '02 Ducati ST4s, '03 Kawasaki Z.1000

Last edited by maurodev; 11-07-2012 at 07:33 AM.
maurodev is offline  
post #9 of 49 Old 11-07-2012, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
 
GranTurismo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Budapest, Hungary
Ferrari Life Posts: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by maurodev View Post
The new Quattroporte will be officially presented at Detroit next year. Maserati didn't provide yet its dimensions, but it should be 5200mm long (10mm more than the previous version). The V8 engine will come from Ferrari, BUT the chassis will be the infamous Chrysler 300 one !!!
The one already used for the deadly (for the Lancia brand) Thema. Just a few hundred of those monstruosities sold in Europe in the last year.

A 'brilliant' intitiative which has been repeated this year with the even more horrible Lancia Flavia (a rebadged Chrysler 200), and which will follow the same fate. I have seen it and I wouldn't drive it even if given to me for free !

No doubt Marchionne declared the Lancia brand dead: he thoroughly killed it...

Returning to the engines, in addition to the V8, there will be a TD V6 produced by the VM of Cento AND a V6 which will be a modified versione of the Pentastar equipping the Chrysler 300 !!!

I have serious doubts that the Chrisler 300 'LX' chassis, developed 8 years ago, will improve the current Maserati Quattroporte. On the contrary I fear we are facing another 'Marchionata' which will spell disaster for another historical Italian brand.

ciao
Mauro
A Maserati-Ferrari-Chrysler/Lancia mix. Great.

"Seize the Day, putting as little trust as possible in the future" - Horace, Carpe Diem
GranTurismo is offline  
post #10 of 49 Old 11-07-2012, 09:52 AM
Owner
Elite Member
 
tazandjan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Ferrari Life Posts: 11,858
Unfortunate. Although the 300 platform is good for us here in the States, I certainly do not think of it as the underpinnings for a Maserati.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
tazandjan is offline  
post #11 of 49 Old 11-07-2012, 06:19 PM
 
Ramy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Riyadh.
Ferrari Life Posts: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Unfortunate. Although the 300 platform is good for us here in the States, I certainly do not think of it as the underpinnings for a Maserati.
Agreed.

If that indeed does turn out the be the case, Chrysler sourced 300 platform for the Quattroporte and Cherokee underpinnings for the Kubang does make their next range less desirable to the tradionalist (and myself). Although one would think that for a new flagship car, they might use a current/next gen component to see through the projected 7 year plus lifecycle in competitive manner? The 'Key Techincal Features' video linked below does mention in PR fashion the advantages of their new chassis, Chrysler or not.

Performance might be a redeemer, but complete Chrysler chassis cross-sharing might be too vertical a jump for a brand like Maserati, more so than the VW to Bentley GT (?) and BMW 7 Series to RR Ghost. And with multiple engine configurations, it seems as they're gearing for a versatile assault on the executive market.

Will the cross-sharing matter to the mass-market and emerging markets like the ME, Russia, and China? I believe that's doubtful, and the brand will sell irrespective of original components.

Interesting to see how the brand will evolve with their next product line.
Finding her elegant for a car supposedly 5200mm long.

I had little interest in cars until seeing the 3200GT and 456 at 13. Its boomerang rear lights and their relatively sleek discretion turned me onto autos. I hope Maserati retains their slight Italian 'quirkiness' and rewarding character throughout their expanding brand line.

Autoblog | Maserati releases a quartet of videos for the new Quattroporte

Last edited by Ramy; 11-07-2012 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Excuse the multiple editing. Pressed enter too quickly.
Ramy is offline  
post #12 of 49 Old 11-07-2012, 08:32 PM
Owner
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Ferrari Life Posts: 212
the 2013 Chrysler 300 SRT comes with a 6.4 L motor, 470 hp / 470 ft lb, 5 sec 0-60, and clunky styling for the NA market... could be a fun sedan for NA... with grunt like that the "bones" should be strong / stiff enough for anything they want to put into it to make it a successful exotic 4-holer. It's what they do to the chassis after they get it that will make or break it
fromage is offline  
post #13 of 49 Old 11-08-2012, 12:20 AM
Owner
 
maurodev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Ferrari Life Posts: 406
[QUOTE=Will the cross-sharing matter to the mass-market and emerging markets like the ME, Russia, and China? I believe that's doubtful, and the brand will sell irrespective of original components.
[/QUOTE]

I think the problem will be that the brand will NOT sell irrespective of original components, because the handlling will be not up to Maserati standards, but will be the one of the Chrysler 300, in Europe rebadged as Lancia Thema, which is a sort of armored car (I am starting to see the ghost of De Tomaso and his Biturbo here...).

For sure a true Maseratista will not buy this 'hybrid', in the same way Lancisti and Alfisti didn't buy (and will not buy) the many 'bastardizations' produced by Marchionne's FIAT.

I would leave this new Quattroporte to the dealer and buy a Maserati 3500 GT Touring Superleggera with Borrani wheels !

Marchionne announced a change of strategy for the FIAT Group, which will continue to produce economy cars with the Fiat brand, rebadge Chrysler cars with Lancia (ie. Lancia is dead) and will 'reinforce' the Alfa Romeo and Maserati brands to challenge the German brands in the premium segment of the market...using Chrysler technology !!!

This is an announced suicide. It is like to say that Ferrari will be 'reinforced' using Corvette technology. Thanks, but no thanks ! Better to see those brands, which made the history of the automobile, dead than to see them slowly destroyed by mediocre products.

The fate of Lancia is there to show what will happen to Alfa Romeo and Maserati if Marchionne will not be stopped or those brands sold to the Germans (not a thing I would like, but better than this).

ciao
Mauro

_____________________________________

'99 550 Maranello

Vintage Alfa Romeo: '53 1900 saloon, '59 2000 Spider Touring, '61 Giulietta Sprint, '64 2600 Sprint, '72 Montreal, '72 Giulia Super 1300 'Polizia'

Bikes: '02 Ducati ST4s, '03 Kawasaki Z.1000

Last edited by maurodev; 11-08-2012 at 01:17 AM.
maurodev is offline  
post #14 of 49 Old 11-08-2012, 12:15 PM
 
Ramy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Riyadh.
Ferrari Life Posts: 150
Ciao Mauro,

Although my head and economics knows that will most likely be the case, in my heart I am hoping that the Trident's prongs aren't dulled for the sake of the mass market. Performance sharp as a Maserati may be important to us, but many here may be satisfied with a strong engine and a trumpet like exhaust sound. I am thinking wishfully, and hoping passion survives the 'strategic analysis' of the company.

Like its German competitors, car is going to handle many engines. Usually this means a 300hp difference in the top and bottom configurations. Let's hope this is not the case. And, if it is, like Porsche they use the money to to invest in a brand worthy product within the new and large lineup.

Unfortunately, living in the ME, I think we have a large number of buyers who might pick up the car for the badge alone, irrespective of its adherence to traditional values. I asked Bentley about the local the reaction to the initial 9XPF SUV, and they said that interest was very, very high. I was surprised, and hoped that the reaction would be muted to at least coax more elegance from a redesign.

Maybe the same approach from Russia and China. If the executives have enough interest from emerging market buyers who only consider the name, will they care about the traditional Maseratisti?

You and I may not touch it, but I worry that there will be too many that will. In Italy, Europe, and America, there is more love for the tradition and heritage of the brand than in newer markets. Unfortunately there is money in these newer markets. I hope that the trident stays sharp, and that the brand stays alive in its essence.

Otherwise we should look at a Bora or Khamsin. :-).

Also, they are supposedly planning a mid-engine car.
Have you heard anything about it?

Last edited by Ramy; 11-08-2012 at 12:22 PM.
Ramy is offline  
post #15 of 49 Old 11-08-2012, 02:12 PM
Owner
 
Brian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Austin Texas
Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
The changes are not for the better. Too bad, we had kicked around getting one.

It looks more like a car designed by committee. Designed not to offend or delight.


If not for the Trident it looks like a BMWCHRYSLERJAG. Oatmeal on 4 wheels.
Brian is offline  
post #16 of 49 Old 11-08-2012, 02:21 PM
Owner
Elite Member
 
tazandjan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Ferrari Life Posts: 11,858
Sometimes mergers are good deals, like the Jeep Grand Cherokee getting a Mercedes chassis with a button for ~4" of extra ground clearance. This one, however, is kind of a bummer.

Wonder if we will see a Maserati/Ferrari engine in a Chrysler sports car? Remember the Chrysler/Maserati TC? Have to be careful because they do have a fan club.
Attached Images
 

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
tazandjan is offline  
post #17 of 49 Old 11-09-2012, 12:33 AM
Owner
 
maurodev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Ferrari Life Posts: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramy View Post
Ciao Mauro,

Although my head and economics knows that will most likely be the case, in my heart I am hoping that the Trident's prongs aren't dulled for the sake of the mass market. Performance sharp as a Maserati may be important to us, but many here may be satisfied with a strong engine and a trumpet like exhaust sound. I am thinking wishfully, and hoping passion survives the 'strategic analysis' of the company.

Like its German competitors, car is going to handle many engines. Usually this means a 300hp difference in the top and bottom configurations. Let's hope this is not the case. And, if it is, like Porsche they use the money to to invest in a brand worthy product within the new and large lineup.

Unfortunately, living in the ME, I think we have a large number of buyers who might pick up the car for the badge alone, irrespective of its adherence to traditional values. I asked Bentley about the local the reaction to the initial 9XPF SUV, and they said that interest was very, very high. I was surprised, and hoped that the reaction would be muted to at least coax more elegance from a redesign.

Maybe the same approach from Russia and China. If the executives have enough interest from emerging market buyers who only consider the name, will they care about the traditional Maseratisti?

You and I may not touch it, but I worry that there will be too many that will. In Italy, Europe, and America, there is more love for the tradition and heritage of the brand than in newer markets. Unfortunately there is money in these newer markets. I hope that the trident stays sharp, and that the brand stays alive in its essence.

Otherwise we should look at a Bora or Khamsin. :-).

Also, they are supposedly planning a mid-engine car.
Have you heard anything about it?
Ciao Ramy, Marchionne said the production target for Maserati will be 50k cars a year by 2015, so I fear the Tridente's prongs will be dulled a lot and it will resemble more a fork for spaghetti than the weapon of Neptune !

No doubt the V8 engine will be fantastic, being, more or less, the same used by the Ferrari 458, but the rest... It is ironic that the new 'souless' Quattroporte will be produced in the once glorious Grugliasco factory, which was owned by Bertone.

If you like a modern Maserati, buy the last ones produced before this change or look for good models from the past.

About mid-engine Maseratis, no I haven't heard anything. The plans are to start production of the 'baby Quattroporte (which should be named 'Levante')' and the Kubang SUV in the next year or so.

ciao
Mauro

_____________________________________

'99 550 Maranello

Vintage Alfa Romeo: '53 1900 saloon, '59 2000 Spider Touring, '61 Giulietta Sprint, '64 2600 Sprint, '72 Montreal, '72 Giulia Super 1300 'Polizia'

Bikes: '02 Ducati ST4s, '03 Kawasaki Z.1000
maurodev is offline  
post #18 of 49 Old 11-09-2012, 12:38 AM
Owner
 
maurodev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Ferrari Life Posts: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Wonder if we will see a Maserati/Ferrari engine in a Chrysler sports car?
Hi Taz, I wouldn't be too surprised. After all, the Alfa Romeo 8c engine was a rebadged Maserati one, which was a rebadged Ferrari one.

ciao
Mauro

_____________________________________

'99 550 Maranello

Vintage Alfa Romeo: '53 1900 saloon, '59 2000 Spider Touring, '61 Giulietta Sprint, '64 2600 Sprint, '72 Montreal, '72 Giulia Super 1300 'Polizia'

Bikes: '02 Ducati ST4s, '03 Kawasaki Z.1000
maurodev is offline  
post #19 of 49 Old 11-09-2012, 12:57 AM
Owner
 
Brian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Austin Texas
Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by maurodev View Post
Hi Taz, I wouldn't be too surprised. After all, the Alfa Romeo 8c engine was a rebadged Maserati one, which was a rebadged Ferrari one.

ciao
Mauro


While the Maserati and Ferrari engines are of the same family they are not the same. Few major parts are interchangeable.
Brian is offline  
post #20 of 49 Old 11-09-2012, 01:07 AM
Owner
 
maurodev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Ferrari Life Posts: 406
Hi Brian, I meant that the Maserati engines are produced by Ferrari and then assembled in Maserati. So they are Ferrari engines with a Maserati badge.

ciao
Mauro

_____________________________________

'99 550 Maranello

Vintage Alfa Romeo: '53 1900 saloon, '59 2000 Spider Touring, '61 Giulietta Sprint, '64 2600 Sprint, '72 Montreal, '72 Giulia Super 1300 'Polizia'

Bikes: '02 Ducati ST4s, '03 Kawasaki Z.1000
maurodev is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
Copyright 2012 ONE Media, Inc.
FerrariLife is independently run with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA
Ferrari for Sale | Maserati for Sale