Jailed for a joke in the UK - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 Old 10-08-2012, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
Jailed for a joke in the UK

wondering what my UK brothers think of this. Specially boxer who is an american living in UK. Jailing someone for what they say, no matter how offensive, is anathema to most americans. This isn't the first time i have seen someone charged in the UK for saying something. But posting an offensive joke on your facebook page while drunk? wow.

BBC News - April Jones: Matthew Woods jailed for Facebook posts

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 Old 10-08-2012, 10:54 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Issue was it wasn't a joke. He was just claiming it was to try to get off. Beig tossed in the big house for a few weeks for this type of thing is not uncommon in most European countries.
post #3 of 50 Old 10-08-2012, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

What was it?. was wondering what people thought about it. i find it ridiculous.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

post #4 of 50 Old 10-08-2012, 01:03 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,146
Wetpet, I don't know what he posted.

But I think he shouldn't of been jailed for how vile they might have been.

People should be more careful with what they post online.

It's a freedom of speech, on a "Private" network (was his profile public?) so it's an act of invasion of privacy if it is. Also did he get his fair rights for freedom of speech.

A similar fate happened to some guy that was racist about the Bolton player to collapsed from a heart attack some time ago 6-months-1 year ago.

---
found what he said, or some of it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012...?utm_hp_ref=uk

Quote:
Matthew Woods, 19, from Chorley, Lancashire, made a number of derogatory posts about April and missing Madeline McCann after getting the idea from Sickipedia - a website that "trades in sick jokes".
Among his comments were: "I woke up this morning in the back of a transit van with two beautiful little girls, I found April in a hopeless place."

Another read: "Who in their right mind would abduct a ginger kid?"
Others stated "I love April Jones" and "Could have just started the greatest Facebook argument ever. April Fools, Who Wants Maddie?"

He also wrote comments of a sexually explicit nature about the five-year-old who went missing last week from near her home in Machynlleth, mid Wales.

Chorley Magistrates' Court heard members of the public were so upset about his postings that they reported them to the police.

A "vigilante mob" of around 50 people later descended upon his home address in Eaves Lane and the defendant was arrested on Saturday night at a separate address for his own safety.

Martina Jay, prosecuting, said: "When interviewed by police he fully admitted he posted messages about the two missing children.

"He started this idea when he was at a friend's house when drinking, saw a joke on Sickipedia and changed it slightly.

My Flickr Account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Take pictures for fun
post #5 of 50 Old 10-08-2012, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

yeah, i saw that much. wouldn't get you the time of day in the US. the mob should have been arrested. I'm quite sure i might be very unwelcome in the UK.

post #6 of 50 Old 10-08-2012, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetpet View Post
yeah, i saw that much. wouldn't get you the time of day in the US. the mob should have been arrested. I'm quite sure i might be very unwelcome in the UK.
Depends, I would have no qualms with somebody that shares your views in our country.

After all, this is the place where we lock up kids over silly facebook posts, allow foreigners to have nonstop income benefits and where rapists and murderers get short jail times.

I very much favour the Judicial system in the U.S. over the U.K.

Take pictures for fun
post #7 of 50 Old 10-08-2012, 11:22 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
As much as I am disgusted by this person, I find jail time just completely absurd. Particularly the length of it. 12 weeks? Are you insane? He would have learnt his lesson just by getting in front of the magistrate. Have him do community work for 200 hours and do some good, and hopefully learning a lesson, instead of locking him up, costing tonnes of money, and just getting him in the right mood to get back at the system and do more harm. This magistrate has the intellectual capacity of a cracked teapot.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Future: No idea
Present: 458 Italia, 550 Maranello
Past: 365BB x 2,
330GTC
post #8 of 50 Old 10-15-2012, 04:29 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,733
5 year old girl being abducted is not funny full stop. 12 weeks in the can should effectively communicate this point to him although unlikely as if he had any intelligence whatsoever he would not have made the comments. A custodial sentence will also keep him out of harms way as given the emotions surrounding this case if he were on community service he would have had the $hit kicked out of him, repeatedly. I guess perhaps community service would have been a more effective punishment after all.

post #9 of 50 Old 10-15-2012, 06:49 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
It's a horrible thing all around.

But legally if no one was harmed what law did he break?

If there is a law prohibiting what he did then it should be noted.

Otherwise every murder novel etc. author arrested?

I think the kids life is screwed - that's enough.

Jails are for criminals who are dangerous to society - not for a kid who did something stupid.

IMO - the better punishment would be to go to schools and testify that one stupid moment can ruin your life.

FF 16M Speciale
Lamborghini SV Roadster
Carrera GT GT3RS Viper ACR
Bentayga 69z28 Healey
post #10 of 50 Old 10-15-2012, 07:09 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by champagne612 View Post

If there is a law prohibiting what he did then it should be noted.
He was sent down under section 127 of the Communications Act 2003 - "sending by means of a public electronic communications network a message or other matter that is grossly offensive"

Communications Act 2003/Section 127 - ORG Wiki

post #11 of 50 Old 10-15-2012, 07:28 AM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

This is a free speech issue and that act is one of the scariest laws i have seen recently. And i have seen some pretty scary ones in the US. With all the surveillance cameras, policing of personal behavior and speech infringements, i wouldn't want to live in the uk. sadly, the us isn't far behind. There was a good article in the wash post on sunday about free speech and how it is being clamped down on around the world. As long as you are not credibly threatening anyone, i say no limits.

Free Speech is one of the most basic rights a free man has. It's also one of the first things tyrants go after. Protect free speech in all it's forms or be enslaved.

post #12 of 50 Old 10-15-2012, 08:05 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,439
Quote:

But legally if no one was harmed what law did he break?
In the US none....but I think the US is about the only place on earth where you can actually say most anything you please without needing to think about going to jail.

Freedom of speech is an extremely rare thing......
post #13 of 50 Old 10-15-2012, 08:20 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk e View Post
Freedom of speech is an extremely rare thing......
Especially if you are Republican or conservative. The Dems and the liberals would certainly like to stop speech with which they don't agree.

Life's too short to be unhappy!
post #14 of 50 Old 10-15-2012, 08:45 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by koolaid117 View Post
Especially if you are Republican or conservative. The Dems and the liberals would certainly like to stop speech with which they don't agree.
I think both sides want to limit different speech topics

...... and luckily both sides have consistently lost that battle.
post #15 of 50 Old 10-15-2012, 09:36 AM

So what if I am on private facebook where public can't see and write the same thing or say something like

"I think all the royal family should be lined up and shot"?

That could send me to jail, or because it was set to private I wouldn't be prosecuted?

Take pictures for fun
post #16 of 50 Old 10-15-2012, 01:20 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Jails are for criminals who are dangerous to society - not for a kid who did something stupid.

IMO - the better punishment would be to go to schools and testify that one stupid moment can ruin your life.
Thinking about this I was reminded of Morgan Freeman's character Red in the Shawshank Redemption where he says and quote, "There's not a day goes by I don't feel regret. Not because I'm in here, or because you think I should. I look back on the way I was then: a young, stupid kid who committed that terrible crime. I want to talk to him. I want to try and talk some sense to him, tell him the way things are. But I can't. That kid's long gone and this old man is all that's left. I got to live with that."

Quote:
This is a free speech issue...

Free Speech is one of the most basic rights a free man has. It's also one of the first things tyrants go after. Protect free speech in all it's forms or be enslaved.
Agreed, but imo with freedom comes responsibility and respect for others. If one cherishes the right to free speech than one understands how truly valuable it is. Surely something held in such high regard should not be cheapened or denigrated. I personally think that there is a discernible difference between the concept of free speech and the concept of 'I can say what I want and F**k you.' The latter will usually elicit an equally robust response or perhaps physical damage to the individual who proposed to conduct the initial F**k**g.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karakal View Post
So what if I am on private facebook where public can't see and write the same thing or say something like

"I think all the royal family should be lined up and shot"?

That could send me to jail, or because it was set to private I wouldn't be prosecuted?
Facebook is essentially a 'public electronic communications network' irrespective of whether you have activated any privacy protocols. Incidentally, until 1998 Treason was, as far as I recall, the only offence to still carry the death penalty in the UK. Now it is life imprisonment.

post #17 of 50 Old 10-15-2012, 01:37 PM

@t1fosl, thanks for the info, i'm sure that act raises a few eyebrows.

Take pictures for fun
post #18 of 50 Old 10-15-2012, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

I disagree. my freedom comes with no responsibility to respect others.Whatever that means. There are large groups of people i don't respect and for good reason. Even if i didn't respect a group or individual for a good reason, who has the right to tell me to? There are already laws against threats, intimidation and inciting riots, ect. It's quite simple really, my speech should not be judged by how YOU react to it. If you react to it by doing bodily harm to me, you are the one that needs to be jailed. I think it is much wiser to hear what someone thinks rather than have them keep it to themselves that they are a creep.

QUOTE=t1fosI;218292]

Agreed, but imo with freedom comes responsibility and respect for others. If one cherishes the right to free speech than one understands how truly valuable it is. Surely something held in such high regard should not be cheapened or denigrated. I personally think that there is a discernible difference between the concept of free speech and the concept of 'I can say what I want and F**k you.' The latter will usually elicit an equally robust response or perhaps physical damage to the individual who proposed to conduct the initial F**k**g.

.[/QUOTE]

post #19 of 50 Old 10-15-2012, 03:06 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
I disagree. my freedom comes with no responsibility to respect others.Whatever that means. There are large groups of people i don't respect and for good reason. Even if i didn't respect a group or individual for a good reason, who has the right to tell me to? There are already laws against threats, intimidation and inciting riots, ect. It's quite simple really, my speech should not be judged by how YOU react to it. If you react to it by doing bodily harm to me, you are the one that needs to be jailed. I think it is much wiser to hear what someone thinks rather than have them keep it to themselves that they are a creep.
You are quite right. No one has the right to tell you to be responsible or respectful. For me personally it comes from within (call it upbringing, call it whatever you will), as I said earlier imo (in my opinion).

So just to clarify, by your own definition, other peoples freedom equally comes with no responsibility or respect towards you. Hence if someone decides that they do not want to be respectful to you for reasons apparent only to them (as you would do) and walks up to you and makes some indecently profane comment perhaps about the legitimacy of your mother/childs birth or the fidelity of your partner or whatever and you decide to exact a measure of physical retribution in retaliation. You would be the one who should be jailed/punished? and the individual who made the comments is exercising their right to free speech and they should not be judged by how you reacted to it?

post #20 of 50 Old 10-15-2012, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Exactly. well put. now, of course in the sentencing the other persons actions should be taken into account. mitigating circumstances. But i have no right to assault him. What if a crazy person came up to you and said the same thing? would you assault him? If the person said those things in a threatening or harassing way, he might get what is coming to him. But simply standing off to the side calling my mother names is no legal reason to assault anyone. Of course, society has a way of equalizing this kind of behavior. In any case, i don't believe someone expressing his opinion of my family should be charged or jailed unless his intent was to harass or harm. But of course this is not what we are talking about here. Your scenario would likely be taken as a threat and that is a whole different story than making a crude joke aBOUT A YOUNG GIRL ON THE INTERNET. oops.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode