Is Ferrari losing the new generation. - Ferrari Life
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 75 Old 08-27-2012, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Owner
 
champagne612's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: St Louis
Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Is Ferrari losing the new generation.

http://jalopnik.com/5938170/how-ferr...tion-of-buyers

Below is an article I found - to which I can relate.

Time. Many people view it as an enemy, ready to snatch every person, thing and object at some point or another. Others view time as a companion, making sure we cherish each moment.

I view time as a constant, something you can use to learn from and adapt. History has a tendency to repeat itself. The foolish are the ones who feel the rules no longer apply to them.
One lesson learned, most successful businesses eventually fail. The most unstoppable juggernauts come to a halt. Empires fall. It's a natural progression in life.

Arrogance can be one of your biggest faults in this battle. And trust me, business can be an intense battle.

I consider myself to be a moderately successful guy. I purchased my first Ferrari for my 27th birthday. Many would consider that a pretty young age to achieve that status.

That Ferrari 360 was something I had my mind set on. It was a moment of achievement and accomplishment. I knew what car I wanted, what options, colour and model. I knew all that before stepping foot into the dealership. I ended up purchasing it private but that was attributed to the inability to fill the order in the time I wanted it.

But it's been a few years and it's time for something new. This time, I don't have a clear picture in my mind of what I want. It's more of a Picasso painting. It has bits and pieces spread throughout and only at certain angles it looks to be complete.

The draw of an Aston is always ever so present. The craziness of a Lamborghini cannot be ignored. Maserati presents relative value for the dollar.

So in a moment like this, it's time to hit up the dealerships and see what the cars are like in person. And that's when the generation gap has never been so evident to me.

I just celebrated my 31st birthday. I've had a solid four years of Ferrari ownership under my belt. It's been a fantastic period and not for a single second am I considering the sale of my prized 360. This is more of an additional purchase.

I spent a day going around dealerships exploring my options. I'm a free agent, a single man, seeing what the landscape is like.

At Ferrari of Ontario I've come to accept the fact that I'll be ignored. I've always wondered why that is. Alex in Parts is a fantastic person to deal with, but I can't say that about anyone else because I'm like a ghost in that dealership. I never imagined it being so hard to give my money to a company.

I showed up in a brand new 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged, picking up parts for my Ferrari from the part department and wearing a limited edition Audemars Piguet Chronopassion watch. Still not good enough. Four years, same old story again and again.

Across the street from Ferrari of Ontario is McLaren Toronto. In many ways, the enemy to Ferrari, the main rival in all things namely F1, but most recently street legal cars like days gone by.

It took a little persuading by a friend but I agreed to stop by. Why not?

I'm glad I did. Once I entered the dealership I felt like I was home. The design of the showroom floor felt like it was tailored to my generation. I didn't feel like I was stepping on people's toes, or hanging out with my father's friends.

It was ‘Me' time. The second I walked through the door a salesman greeted me, showed me around and asked what he could do to make my day a better one.

Isn't this the way it's supposed to be?

We got onto topics that I'm used to chatting with my friends about. Sleeping in, going out for drinks, F1 talk, and discussing other car brands and their models.

Finally a place that doesn't pretend they're the only company that matters in the automotive world.

Real talk.

I notice a MP4-12C on the showroom floor. Optioned almost identical to what I would build. I asked how much it was and before I could answer the doors were open on the car and I'm told to get a closer look. No concept of ‘don't touch.'

They handed me one of the nicest brochures I've ever seen, detailing the build process, the technology behind the car, paint samples, and every piece of information you could possibly need. I've never been offered even the most basic brochure at Ferrari for any model.

It was getting late so we scheduled a follow up for next week. I didn't really consider McLaren that morning but it's funny what customer service could do. Make me feel like a million bucks and I might spend a million bucks.

It's a crazy concept but it works. And I'm left with this undeniable feeling that I'm not alone in this thought process.

Sure, I'm a successful guy that loves wearing shorts and a t-shirt in the summer. I love my cars. I love having fun.

Gone are the days of needing to wear a suit to portray a certain image. I simply don't dress like my father. And if Ferrari of Ontario doesn't change their outlook on their customer relations I find myself thinking they just might lose an entire generation to the more hungry competition.

The dinosaurs went extinct afterall, how crazy is it to think a dealership might eventually meet the same fate?

This story originally appeared on Double Clutch on August 1, 2012, and was republished with permission.

Email us with the subject line "Syndication" if you would like to see your own story syndicated here on Jalopnik.

FF 16M Speciale
Lamborghini SV Roadster
Carrera GT GT3RS Viper ACR
Bentayga 69z28 Healey

Last edited by Andrew; 09-07-2012 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Linked to original article
champagne612 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 75 Old 08-27-2012, 03:26 PM
Owner
Elite Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Ferrari Life Posts: 3,320
I'm sure his attitude was around in my Dad's day, and his Dad's day too.
Ferrari didn't make cars for him then, and as far as I can tell, still don't.

I've never had that kind of experience in a dealership, my guess is slaesmen treat you according to the image and persona you project. Of course, that's a generalization, ymmv.

Of all the narcissists I know, I love me the most.
Killer58 is offline  
post #3 of 75 Old 08-27-2012, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Owner
 
champagne612's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: St Louis
Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
He has a 360 and is a customer of the dealership also stated he has a good relationship with the parts manager.

Few years ago I was offered a GTO - ever since then not one phone call from the sales department or e-mail etc. Also bought the 16M from a dealer that has not added me to their customer list.

OTH - Mercedes Porsche Mclaren Bentley Range Rover all send me trinkets and invite me on special events about every six months and Ferrari represents far more of dollars in my garage than all of them combined and yet the Rep can't return a call.

I think what the guy wrote carries a lot of merit - especially in light of the local service center in STL closed it's doors to Ferrari service.

FF 16M Speciale
Lamborghini SV Roadster
Carrera GT GT3RS Viper ACR
Bentayga 69z28 Healey
champagne612 is offline  
 
post #4 of 75 Old 08-27-2012, 06:35 PM
Owner
Elite Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Ferrari Life Posts: 3,320
Yes Doug, I'm sure that your description is not all that rare. After all, car salesmen have a reputation for a reason....

Of all the narcissists I know, I love me the most.
Killer58 is offline  
post #5 of 75 Old 08-28-2012, 10:04 AM
 
karakal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: London
Ferrari Life Posts: 1,146
Quote:
It was ‘Me' time. The second I walked through the door a salesman greeted me, showed me around and asked what he could do to make my day a better one.
That's how one should act, when walking into a store/dealership, if you want to sell something you better put out.

Hmmm walked into Cape Town Ferrari with my dads friend and wife, we went ignored since they pulled up in some Jeep Cherokee, let's just say, if the dealership people walked on their street, they would probably be ignored Show some respect and welcome everyone, from poverty-stricken sick man to the looking arounds and potential buyers. If I ever get rich enough and I happen to Live in Cape Town, and if this lets be, I would personally go to Italy or H.R. Owen in London to go pick up the RHD car and have all the trouble of importing it back, instead of being "ignored". It doesn't paint the best image. Maybe others here from SA had much better experience in Cape Town or Joburg/Durban, who knows.

Walked into Lamborghini Cape Town, welcomes, asked if we wanted brochures, asked what we were interested in, jokes around, very friendly.

Same with when I walked into Gucci in Cape Town, and other high end stores, rate you as soon you walk in, fortunately for me I dress fashion, but for the other people who might just want something but doesn't dress extremely fashionable, but can afford everything in the store, they would be looked upon . I tend to shop online now, So I don't turn nasty as soon as I step into the Store.

In my generation, if someone likes a car, they like Lamborghini much more. I started off with loving Lamborghini much more than Ferrari (thanks to the Gallardo model).

Now I'm a Ferrari fan, and won't change for a very long time, maybe at all. Interesting to say, I had a conversation with my hairdresser, he told me his salon owner had a nice Alfa Romeo, and that he liked super cars, I asked: Ferrari or Lamborghini, He actually answered Ferrari.

That's the first ever time I've come across one of my friends or relative age group that like a Ferrari more than a Lamborghini.

I think the Lamborghini brand is sell-out now with SUV's and 4 door concepts, not supercar brand material, and that they also try way to hard with their models looking aggressive, they nailed it with the Gallardo LP and Murcielago SV, but missed on the Aventador I feel.

Lamborghini fans always hold dearly to this quote "How to make a Ferrari disappear, park a Lamborghini next to it."

For me, as I speak to my generation I guess "15-25" or "19-25", the Ferrari is a more striking design, the Lamborghini is more evocative, it's wilder looking, but that doesn't necessarily mean better looking.

For me the 458 Italia is the most prettiest car I have ever seen, it's slanting head lights, circular tail lights and front winged fascia is amazing looking and attracts me much more than the sharp angled aventador, which rear fascia looks unfinished, squashed and disastrous to the eyes.

But the world is turning to the contemporary lifestyle (One I embrace, specially with architectural house design) So the generation will want that nice White Wall mansion overlooking Malibu (ex. http://www.luxuryhomesnetwork.com/ma...es/master1.jpg), they won't want that Mediterranean-type design anymore, and the Lamborghini brand is seen as more contemporary, more modern looking-out-of-this-world looking car, so of course I think they would select those 2 things, because through media and other things, they have grown up to see that as an amazing lifestyle.

I don't think so, but I'm probably in the minority that prefer Ferrari over Lamborghini these days.

In fact, I prefer Ferrari over Lamborghini, Bugatti, Pagani, Bentley, Aston, SSC, McLaren.

Anyway, LOL, that's just my opinion on my generation.


My Flickr Account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Take pictures for fun
karakal is offline  
post #6 of 75 Old 08-28-2012, 10:14 AM
Owner
Elite Member
 
tazandjan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
Doug- Guess it depends on where the dealership is. Those Damnyankees ( I was 14 before I actually knew those were two separate words) seem to be a bit off where-ever you guys are dealing with them. I get birthday cards, invitations to all the premiers and meet/drive activities and generally treated very well by Boardwalk in Dallas, even though I live in Albuquerque. Just because I bought a used car from them over four years ago.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
tazandjan is offline  
post #7 of 75 Old 08-28-2012, 11:03 AM
Owner
 
Granucci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: far and away
Ferrari Life Posts: 6,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer58 View Post
I'm sure his attitude was around in my Dad's day, and his Dad's day too.
Ferrari didn't make cars for him then, and as far as I can tell, still don't.

I've never had that kind of experience in a dealership, my guess is slaesmen treat you according to the image and persona you project. Of course, that's a generalization, ymmv.

took da' woids right outta ma mouth

I won't talk about buyer's attitude or how it fits into the way of things, but either he's in the game or out. Seems it's the latter.

I guarantee you if he went for a Lear Jet or Sony TV he'd have similar issues at times.

If he's looking for a fun experience, buying cars are only really fun when it's parked in your garage.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !


Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
Granucci is offline  
post #8 of 75 Old 08-28-2012, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Owner
 
champagne612's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: St Louis
Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Doug- Guess it depends on where the dealership is. Those Damnyankees ( I was 14 before I actually knew those were two separate words) seem to be a bit off where-ever you guys are dealing with them. I get birthday cards, invitations to all the premiers and meet/drive activities and generally treated very well by Boardwalk in Dallas, even though I live in Albuquerque. Just because I bought a used car from them over four years ago.
That's the way it should be.

A good friend / college roommate owns a high end car dealership in Louisville and many of his clients are from outside the territory - not giving away and secrets they spend nearly 100.00 to get someone to walk in their door - ratio wise.

If I owned a dealership the last thing that would be allowed is a salesman to rip up my Benjamin based on what he thought of my customer.

Customer service - not many understand it's importance.

Follow the Apple model vs Microsoft and see how it works out or any other company that has low customer service ratings - they DO NOT last long and I don't care who it is.

Customer service is job 1 - those that think ehh he isn't a customer - just because - aren't capable of writing the check that their emotions just wrote.

FF 16M Speciale
Lamborghini SV Roadster
Carrera GT GT3RS Viper ACR
Bentayga 69z28 Healey
champagne612 is offline  
post #9 of 75 Old 08-28-2012, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Owner
 
champagne612's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: St Louis
Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granucci View Post
took da' woids right outta ma mouth

I won't talk about buyer's attitude or how it fits into the way of things, but either he's in the game or out. Seems it's the latter.

I guarantee you if he went for a Lear Jet or Sony TV he'd have similar issues at times.

If he's looking for a fun experience, buying cars are only really fun when it's parked in your garage.
If I were Ferrari - the last thing I would want is my potential customer being more satisfied at the competitors store vs mine - especially after he was in my store first.

Statistics will show a bad experience on retail is a triple threat. We all know a bad experiences travel far faster and far greater than a satisfying one.

I would post this letter at every sales meeting - the color of money doesn't change by who's hand it is in.

FF 16M Speciale
Lamborghini SV Roadster
Carrera GT GT3RS Viper ACR
Bentayga 69z28 Healey
champagne612 is offline  
post #10 of 75 Old 08-28-2012, 11:59 AM
Owner
Elite Member
 
tazandjan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
Doug- Has not changed over time either. Remember one dealer telling me the story of a guy who was dropped off by a taxi in shorts and a t-shirt. He came into the dealership and was greeted by one of the old-timers. He walked around a 275 GTS, asked the salesman how much, wrote a check that was sterling, and drove off with the car.

I must have been lucky, because I have always been treated nicely, even when I was not buying.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
tazandjan is offline  
post #11 of 75 Old 08-28-2012, 12:16 PM
Owner
Elite Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Ferrari Life Posts: 3,320
I suspect that most experienced dealers can size you up right away.

When Celeste and I were at Tiffany's looking for wedding rings, each sales person didn't even ask what our price range was, but showed us things EXACTLY in our range. We even commented how accurate they were. One woman made slight reference to their "training", but wouldn't talk details.

Of all the narcissists I know, I love me the most.
Killer58 is offline  
post #12 of 75 Old 08-28-2012, 12:24 PM
Owner
 
Granucci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: far and away
Ferrari Life Posts: 6,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by champagne612 View Post
If I were Ferrari - the last thing I would want is my potential customer being more satisfied at the competitors store vs mine - especially after he was in my store first.

Statistics will show a bad experience on retail is a triple threat. We all know a bad experiences travel far faster and far greater than a satisfying one.

I would post this letter at every sales meeting - the color of money doesn't change by who's hand it is in.

I agree with everything you say, I'm just pointing to the facts of a particular case and the Ferrari experience for some. IIRC, Glickenhouse[sp] has nothing but almost contempt for the marque now, and yet still is in the game, albeit, customized work.

He hates Cavallino because or ANY mag that doesn't recognize his creations as genuine [valid argument or not]
he doesn't like Ferrari because of his newest car
he doesn't like Classiche because, and wouldn't even accept a car that had a Classiche replacement, say, 250 engine block because there are 'no stories' out there cars so why would you pay for a discounted one? I would,

Point being, the elephant in the room is saying, "I have an endless pocketbook, respect me", but I can guarantee you even JG has formed issues he feels are battle grounds. Ferrari attitude has always been such and the buyer adhears towards it anyway. Case in point, JG WOULD I bet accept another engine in his P 4/5 or whatever item should it be necessary and not complain about it but spin it to one's favor. Bet anyone with a 350 won't throw it away if block goes south or they need a remfgr'd gear or part. But HATE Classiche with a vengance.. yet getting a part from the OEM shouldn't even factor it's replacement worth! It's about 'attitude'.

Experience may not be fun, but it is the way it is. Shoot I HATE, absolutely HATE the way Ferrari implements what most likely is some of the best engineering into production!!!!

Lousy seats, windows, fit, trim, paint, ECUs, etc. Honestly, they designed it well but sublet it to what? Luigi and a bottle of Chianti to be a product at quarter million dollars before tax license and etc.??!?!??!

outragious, but can't wait to get a 430 or ......

I'm still in the beat myself up game and Ferrari will NOT have to worry today, or the future...there are plenty of suckers getting money every day.

do we like it: NOT
are we still here...perhaps yaz sir

Afterall, we can all buy a Toyota and complain less, but we are here for a reason and guess who knows? ya' the big F-guys.

I'll will also say, I have had NOTHING but good experiences with a Ferrari dealership, to the point that I am totally surprised it was that good.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !


Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan

Last edited by Granucci; 08-28-2012 at 12:33 PM.
Granucci is offline  
post #13 of 75 Old 08-28-2012, 12:35 PM
Owner
 
Granucci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: far and away
Ferrari Life Posts: 6,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer58 View Post
I suspect that most experienced dealers can size you up right away.

When Celeste and I were at Tiffany's looking for wedding rings, each sales person didn't even ask what our price range was, but showed us things EXACTLY in our range. We even commented how accurate they were. One woman made slight reference to their "training", but wouldn't talk details.

Which is exactly why my last girlfriend, Porsche sales manager, and I broke up...not that she sized me up all that much or that we weren't that much on the same social page [ok those are true] but that she was a CAR SALES PERSON.

stay clear of those!!!! Unlike Wanda, they are like the green ones: Not ripe and dangerous.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !


Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
Granucci is offline  
post #14 of 75 Old 08-28-2012, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Owner
 
champagne612's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: St Louis
Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granucci View Post
I agree with everything you say, I'm just pointing to the facts of a particular case and the Ferrari experience for some. IIRC, Glickenhouse[sp] has nothing but almost contempt for the marque now, and yet still is in the game, albeit, customized work.

He hates Cavallino because or ANY mag that doesn't recognize his creations as genuine [valid argument or not]
he doesn't like Ferrari because of his newest car
he doesn't like Classiche because, and wouldn't even accept a car that had a Classiche replacement, say, 250 engine block because there are 'no stories' out there cars so why would you pay for a discounted one? I would,

Point being, the elephant in the room is saying, "I have an endless pocketbook, respect me", but I can guarantee you even JG has formed issues he feels are battle grounds. Ferrari attitude has always been such and the buyer adhears towards it anyway. Case in point, JG WOULD I bet accept another engine in his P 4/5 or whatever item should it be necessary and not complain about it but spin it to one's favor. Bet anyone with a 350 won't throw it away if block goes south or they need a remfgr'd gear or part. But HATE Classiche with a vengance.. yet getting a part from the OEM shouldn't even factor it's replacement worth! It's about 'attitude'.

Experience may not be fun, but it is the way it is. Shoot I HATE, absolutely HATE the way Ferrari implements what most likely is some of the best engineering into production!!!!

Lousy seats, windows, fit, trim, paint, ECUs, etc. Honestly, they designed it well but sublet it to what? Luigi and a bottle of Chianti to be a product at quarter million dollars before tax license and etc.??!?!??!

outragious, but can't wait to get a 430 or ......

I'm still in the beat myself up game and Ferrari will NOT have to worry today, or the future...there are plenty of suckers getting money every day.

do we like it: NOT
are we still here...perhaps yaz sir

Afterall, we can all buy a Toyota and complain less, but we are here for a reason and guess who knows? ya' the big F-guys.

I'll will also say, I have had NOTHING but good experiences with a Ferrari dealership, to the point that I am totally surprised it was that good.
Very well stated and I hope the experience continues.

When was the last time Ferrari spent money on advertising - the FF ad budget was unprecedented.

Ferrari is all over the place - focusing on emerging markets isn't going to be cheap nor is it going to double sales which they need.

I suggest the marketing / sales department to be trained by Tiffany's

FWIW - and it may sound ridiculous.

When JG bought his Bentley is when I became interested in them - if it weren't for him I probably would have never considered one.

FF 16M Speciale
Lamborghini SV Roadster
Carrera GT GT3RS Viper ACR
Bentayga 69z28 Healey
champagne612 is offline  
post #15 of 75 Old 09-02-2012, 01:11 PM
Owner
Elite Member
 
wetpet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Chevy Chase, Md
Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
You guys are working on the premise that ferrari wants to sell you a car. obviously, they don't. They are all sold. believe me, if they had 25 458's on a floor plan, they would be sending you trinkets and inviting you to events. Mclaren fawning all over you shows they need the sale.

ferrari doesn't need to sell you a car. they are all sold. having said that, i have never experienced that attitude at a ferrari dealer. The first 328 i looked at at FOW, they took me right out and let me drive it too. I understand them not trying to sell me a 430 at the time because they didn't have any and the waitlist was over a year.



100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
wetpet is offline  
post #16 of 75 Old 09-02-2012, 01:16 PM
Owner
Elite Member
 
wetpet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Chevy Chase, Md
Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
as far as the young guy not dressing like his father, i didn't dress like my father when i was 30 either. My father didn't dress that way when he was 30 either. now that i am almost 50 and am a father, i dress more like my father. he will too, eventually. Ferrari's market is more like his father so i am sure it makes good sense for them to market the car to 50y/o and not 30 y/o. moot point.

bottom line, they are selling what they want and realizing record profits. You want them to change for you?



100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
wetpet is offline  
post #17 of 75 Old 09-02-2012, 01:29 PM
Owner
Elite Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Ferrari Life Posts: 3,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetpet View Post
You want them to change for you?
Not one iota.

They are my dream car, precisely because of who and what they are. If they changed for me, I probably wouldn't want one any more....

Of all the narcissists I know, I love me the most.
Killer58 is offline  
post #18 of 75 Old 09-02-2012, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Owner
 
champagne612's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: St Louis
Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Ferrari isn't increasing profits from car sales.

Below is a portion extracted at an article.

No offense - but some of these arguments remind me of a bumper sticker that states - only buy American which is pasted on a fifteen year old bumper who's owner hasn't bought a new car in the last decade.

Ferrari needs more car sales - which is why they advertise and increased their PR and advertising budgets.

In fact they are off by 50% by what sales projected for factory expansion almost 5 years ago.

*******

Things are different now. Ferrari’s full-year results are likely to show profits of over £200 million on sales of around £1.5 billion. But Ferrari won’t say how much of its business is now going on racing and selling cars, and how much on selling mugs.
There are a few clues in the figures it chooses to release; in the third quarter of 2010, car sales were up four per cent but profits up 46 per cent. It doesn’t state any absolute figures, but income from licensed, Ferrari-branded products was up ten per cent, Ferrari Store revenues 30 per cent, and online sales of merchandise 55 per cent.
‘We know exactly how much the other activities are worth, and it is significant,’ says Ferrari managing director Amedeo Felisa.
‘But if I told you how much it is, you’d be able to work out how much we make on the road cars, and how much Formula 1 costs us. And then I’d lose my job, and I have a family.’
Analyst Max Warburton, a man known to have the ear of Fiat’s Marchionne, doesn’t know either. ‘Some people talk about Ferrari’s non-car activities now being 30 per cent of its revenues, which seems on the high side to me, but it could be that this new theme park is a game-changer.’
But does it matter if Ferrari is selling more mugs and umbrellas to its fans, opening more stores, and a theme park?

FF 16M Speciale
Lamborghini SV Roadster
Carrera GT GT3RS Viper ACR
Bentayga 69z28 Healey

Last edited by champagne612; 09-02-2012 at 03:55 PM.
champagne612 is offline  
post #19 of 75 Old 09-02-2012, 04:14 PM
Owner
Elite Member
 
wetpet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Chevy Chase, Md
Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
that quote gives no information. i stand by my analysis. they obviously are not in a hurry to sell you, or anybody a new car.

by this same line of reasoning, i could say they are losing a lot of money on the f1 program but the merchandise sales are making it up. No one knows.

What i do know is they are having record profits and have a waiting list for their core products.

If you believe they are only at 50% of their targets, what is your explanation for their attitude?



100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
wetpet is offline  
post #20 of 75 Old 09-02-2012, 04:14 PM
Owner
Elite Member
 
wetpet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Chevy Chase, Md
Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
the core of their marketing program right here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer58 View Post
Not one iota.

They are my dream car, precisely because of who and what they are. If they changed for me, I probably wouldn't want one any more....


100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
wetpet is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
Copyright 2012 ONE Media, Inc.
FerrariLife is independently run with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA
Ferrari for Sale | Maserati for Sale