Pagani Driver killed after 200mph span out of control - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 08-20-2012, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,146
Pagani Driver killed after 200mph span out of control

Millionaire property developer killed at the wheel of 200mph Zonda supercar as it spins out of control and crashes into a fence

• £500,000 Pagani Zonda careered off a main road in Watford
  • William Baranos, in his 50s, was thought to have been driving at high speed
  • His body was found 10ft away after the car's doors were ripped off
  • A passenger in his 20s walked away from the wreckage

Millionaire killed after 200mph Pagani Zonda spins out of control and crashes into a fence | Mail Online

R.I.P.

My Flickr Account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Take pictures for fun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 08-20-2012, 05:19 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,132
Tragic.

RIP
post #3 of 16 Old 08-20-2012, 07:17 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,858
Does not take much with that kind of hp, especially if the road is damp like they frequently are in the UK.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.

post #4 of 16 Old 08-20-2012, 08:06 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
RIP. Nothing good here.

Do not mean to be critical, but, ...whenever I see these unfortunate accidents, I cannot help but wonder if the car manufacterers are responsible at least indierectly in coming out with these monster cars with unbelivable capabilities way beyond what is realistic for the roads ??? Especially the modern cars with all these chips doing tihings for you and giving driver the wrong impression of control ? Things are way over imbalanced, IMHO.

Jimmy

Last edited by Italian Lover; 08-20-2012 at 08:06 PM. Reason: spelling correction
post #5 of 16 Old 08-20-2012, 10:28 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 150
May his soul rest in peace.
Accidents happen to all of us.

I mean no disrespect or to denigrate the tragic nature of this incident.

In our region, and for certain reasons, we might be one of the youngest owner demographics around. The majority of car owners start their driver experience at a younger age and at a category more powerful than the global average.

There are two schools of thought here when it comes to these machines:

The first is that driving ability is something to be taught, cultivated, and taken with the utmost sense of responsibility and gravity. It doesn't have to be track-time or race schooling, per se, but practice. Hours spent practicing all types of scenarios of techniques in empty parking lots, abandoned roads, and in the rain, until the the vehicle became like a second skin: instinctive and bonded. When one was ready to start his automotive interest, it would be with an entry level, 130hp manual car, which they could begin to 'learn'. It is step by step up from that point.

The second school of thought is buy what you want, when you want, based on appeal and not on driver ability.

Over the years, at least locally, the first group seems to have had an accident ratio nowhere close to the second.

Again, I do not mean to disrespect anyone (those who have passed), or have any more information than given in the article; but growing up and learning to drive, I would often stumble onto these pictures in magazines and they would serve as a reminder to respect the ability of the machine I was entrusted with.

Edit: Also, should this post seem inappropriate given the circumstance, please let me know and I will remove it.

Last edited by Ramy; 08-21-2012 at 02:14 AM. Reason: Readability
post #6 of 16 Old 08-21-2012, 12:29 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Chen Shiba DDS View Post
RIP. Nothing good here.

Do not mean to be critical, but, ...whenever I see these unfortunate accidents, I cannot help but wonder if the car manufacterers are responsible at least indierectly in coming out with these monster cars with unbelivable capabilities way beyond what is realistic for the roads ??? Especially the modern cars with all these chips doing tihings for you and giving driver the wrong impression of control ? Things are way over imbalanced, IMHO.

Jimmy
With due respect, I completely disagree. It is perfectly possible to kill yourself, and many have, in any of the cars that you and I own, Jimmy. I saw the wreck of a 330GTC in which the owner died, and that happened only a couple of years ago. A classic Ferrari has at least the same capability of killing people as a modern one. And not just Ferraris, other classics or moderns too. Most people die on the road in very modest machines. Young drivers are often killed on their little mopeds with 10 bhp because they are not using sense.

We, as drivers, are always responsible for utilising the power in our machines in a controlled manner, whether it is a lot of power or not. There are many courses out there if you are lacking in driving skills.

And, for what it is worth, any modern car over $50k has capabilities "way beyond what is realistic on the road". And it has been that case for a very long time. I can remember vividly doing 190 km/h in my 1988 Alfa 33 Stationwagon, only to find out that the brakes were completely not up to the task. A lesson well learnt! Supercars are far safer than regular cars. It is up to us to enjoy them responsibly, just as everything else in life.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Future: No idea
Present: 458 Italia, 550 Maranello
Past: 365BB x 2,
330GTC

Last edited by JazzyO; 08-21-2012 at 12:43 AM.
post #7 of 16 Old 08-21-2012, 12:53 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,112
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post

We, as drivers, are always responsible for utilizing the power in our machines in a controlled manner, whether it is a lot of power or not. There are many courses out there if you are lacking in driving skills.

Onno
Well said Onno and true

But imo the danger factor of these incredible machines is what usually keeps you in check, that is why I love cars that are raw and give you back full read of the road and machine. The moment you start adding all the drivers assistance is the moment average regular drivers tend to drive way above their means.

Night life........ain't a good life........but it's my life -- Willy Nelson
post #8 of 16 Old 08-21-2012, 12:54 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
I concur, Onno. I can kill myself in a Prius or for that matter anything else.

I was stating that I have my doubts regarding the ever increasing HP of the latest models, yet for the most part, reality is that there are speed limits, unless you are doing tracks.

Jimmy
post #9 of 16 Old 08-21-2012, 04:14 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 24
I am sorry for the families loss. I see in the picture the seat belt looks to be hanging in its original position. If he was thrown out and the passenger walked out, maybe he was not wearing the seat belt. As a racer I use every piece of safety equipment at my disposal. Let us all remember to do the same as we drive.
post #10 of 16 Old 08-21-2012, 05:03 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,196
first rest in peace to the driver
and amazing the passenger walk away
as for comments to driver versus car 1 got killed the other walk away . . perhaps .
it seems quite evident. That the driver exceeded the limit of the conditions. anyone thinks high speed on an unproven road maintained by what county or some local entity will is foolish if not inmature . To think the quipment is at par for all that always is even more so. even the best F1 drivers don't do that . thank god nobody else was taken with him .

but here I am talking through no direct knowledge of the event . experience tells me the above is mostly true .

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan

Last edited by Granucci; 08-21-2012 at 05:09 AM.
post #11 of 16 Old 08-21-2012, 05:44 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
RIP

Never a fan of anyone testing their skills on a damp public surface - let alone with a passenger.

Senseless tragedy - agree with Foatech.
post #12 of 16 Old 08-21-2012, 07:32 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 74
RIP to a man whom was most likely a friend to all of us, his success allow him to fulfill his dream of living on the edge, a place we are all too firmilure with. My prayers are with his family and loveones and my hope is that all who get to read this can learn something about the decisions we make in our daily lives
post #13 of 16 Old 08-21-2012, 07:46 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by foatech View Post
I am sorry for the families loss. I see in the picture the seat belt looks to be hanging in its original position. If he was thrown out and the passenger walked out, maybe he was not wearing the seat belt. As a racer I use every piece of safety equipment at my disposal. Let us all remember to do the same as we drive.
I concur. Another website indicated that police suspect the driver was not wearing his seatbelt.
post #14 of 16 Old 08-21-2012, 07:56 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
Driver error. these cars are actually meant to survive high speed crashes. Just look back to the enzo crash in cali. You live by the sword, you die by the sword. Buckle up when taking chances. At least he didn't kill anybody else. RIP anyway.....

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #15 of 16 Old 08-21-2012, 05:23 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by champagne612 View Post
RIP

Never a fan of anyone testing their skills on a damp public surface - let alone with a passenger.

Senseless tragedy - agree with Foatech.
yes i agree,
a thought for the family
&
RIP.
post #16 of 16 Old 08-23-2012, 08:30 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,990
This is always a sad thing to hear about....RIP.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Life View Post
I love cars that are raw and give you back full read of the road and machine.

This is one of the many reasons why I love my 348

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Life View Post
The moment you start adding all the drivers assistance is the moment average regular drivers tend to drive way above their means.

I think this is the best statement I have ever heard in understanding where one could make an honest mistake in their capabilities.....myself included....

~

Mario

1990 348 TS (87284)

“I build cars for young men that only old men can afford” - Enzo Ferrari

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode