"Traffic" Cameras - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 08-01-2012, 06:37 AM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
"Traffic" Cameras

Really being used to track you and store the data of where you have been. Also works in real time. And you thought they were to keep traffic moving.

The government is tracking and storing your every move. 5 years ago, this would have been a conspiracy theory. As with many other conspiracy theories recently, it is now just reality. Why are we letting this happen?

ACLU Seeks Details on Automatic License Plate Readers in Massive Nationwide Request | American Civil Liberties Union

“Automatic license plate readers make it possible for the police to track our location whenever we drive our cars and to store that information forever,” said Amy Miller, Legal Director for ACLU of Nebraska.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 08-01-2012, 03:27 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,323
Ironic in a way Wet. When I drive our bright red Ferrari down the middle of Georgetown, I can't really expect to remain un-noticed. I've tried to understand why keeping a record of that event is disturbing to some. Same with firearms. Heck, most of the time, we WANT people to know of these things.

Of all the narcissists I know, I love me the most.
post #3 of 23 Old 08-01-2012, 07:52 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 6
yeah this country aint what it used to be, that much is certain. Another certainty is being on the ACLU mailing list will cause you to want to set yourself on fire and jump off a phvk!ng cliff.

I have a dad and best friend who work for a defense contractor, this is merely the VERY tip of the iceberg I can assure you. All in the name of "safety" and "security" LOL, if anyone here beleives that. I have a bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to sell you

post #4 of 23 Old 08-01-2012, 08:05 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,859
London has video cameras on many streets and many of the folks prosecuted after the riots were identified by video from those cameras. Good of bad?

The Albuquerque police have the license plate scanners and, frankly, it does not bother me at all. If it starts to measure speed, then I will worry.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #5 of 23 Old 08-01-2012, 11:29 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetpet View Post
Really being used to track you and store the data of where you have been. Also works in real time. And you thought they were to keep traffic moving.

The government is tracking and storing your every move. 5 years ago, this would have been a conspiracy theory. As with many other conspiracy theories recently, it is now just reality. Why are we letting this happen?

ACLU Seeks Details on Automatic License Plate Readers in Massive Nationwide Request | American Civil Liberties Union

“Automatic license plate readers make it possible for the police to track our location whenever we drive our cars and to store that information forever,” said Amy Miller, Legal Director for ACLU of Nebraska.
Just an FYI, The cameras they are talking about are the ones mounted on the trunk lids of the cruisers, not the ones on the light poles in intersections. The ones mounted on the trunks are special license plate reading cameras and pretty much single purpose. They have no use other than reading tags, no intention of traffic flow. On the other hand the ones mounted in the intersections are pretty much useless for reading tags.

I've been working on this problem myself trying to get my security camera system to record an image of a tag both day and night. The images from the cameras mounted on the trunks of the cruisers have filters and thier own light source that allow a great view of the reflective license plates but in most cases you wouldn't be able to make out the model of the car no less a face.

Try to take a video image at night of a car approaching with headlights on and see if you can read the tag. If you figure out how let me know, I've been trying to solve this myself without buying a $600-700 special camera.

------------------------------

Life is Good!
post #6 of 23 Old 08-01-2012, 11:34 PM
Owner

As far as Maryland is concerned a friend of mine was very dissapointed to learn that the state does not record or save any of the live footage from the overhead traffic cameras. He learned this when his daughter was in a very bad accident were the other driver ran the read light and drove into the drivers side door of her car. We went to the intersection and saw the bullet camera mounted next to the traffic light. When he tried to get the footage showing the other driver ran the light and not his daughter he found out they don't record any of the footage and it can only be watched live on the internet.

Life is Good!
post #7 of 23 Old 08-02-2012, 05:57 AM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

sorry kev you are wrong. you might want to read the article. it is the cameras on the poles. If you think homeland security doesn't have better equipment and software then you, you are mistaken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKRace View Post
Just an FYI, The cameras they are talking about are the ones mounted on the trunk lids of the cruisers, not the ones on the light poles in intersections. The ones mounted on the trunks are special license plate reading cameras and pretty much single purpose. They have no use other than reading tags, no intention of traffic flow. On the other hand the ones mounted in the intersections are pretty much useless for reading tags.

I've been working on this problem myself trying to get my security camera system to record an image of a tag both day and night. The images from the cameras mounted on the trunks of the cruisers have filters and thier own light source that allow a great view of the reflective license plates but in most cases you wouldn't be able to make out the model of the car no less a face.

Try to take a video image at night of a car approaching with headlights on and see if you can read the tag. If you figure out how let me know, I've been trying to solve this myself without buying a $600-700 special camera.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #8 of 23 Old 08-02-2012, 06:01 AM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Some of the responses to this thread are more scary to me than the cameras.

Taz, are you really happy being tracked by the government without violating the law so a few rioters can be arrested? What if they just throw your whole block in jail for life because they are confident a murderer lives in your block, they just don't know who? What if a computer program determines that through your purchases and movements (cvs card, cameras) you have the same profile as a pedophile and they decide to do something about it? You may say these are extreme fantasies and dismiss them. 10 years ago, the government feeling up your daughter on the way to disney world was an extreme fantasy. today it is a reality.

Like one poster said, this is just the tip of the iceburg and it ain't about al-cia da. It's about YOU! The government is not targeting "terrorists" with this. They are targeting their own, law abiding citizens. Ask yourself why? Do you really think your government is trying to help or protect you?

Wake up people, this is not a conspiracy theory anymore. People ARE following you.

Last edited by wetpet; 08-02-2012 at 06:09 AM.
post #9 of 23 Old 08-02-2012, 08:07 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,859
Ed- Afraid I just do not worry about small crap like that and the license plate tracking cameras, which we have here in Albuquerque, are cruiser mounted, not on poles. Our intersection cameras are actually designed to track traffic clogs so help can be sent if something goes wrong. We had red light cameras, but they got voted out and are no longer in use.

I am afraid seeing sinister motives behind everything is just something not on my charts. If you want to lose sleep about it, be my guest. And you are correct, the scenarios you describe are fantasies. Our city pays hundeds of thousands of dollars in settlements every year for cop screw-ups like those you describe.

I am not big on conspiracy theories and 1984 is a long way off. We have actually swung the other way with all the privacy protection laws. You would think your "personal medical information" had the combination to the lock on the gold at Ft Knox. Who cares what someone else's blood pressure or blood sugar is? As long as the social security number is not disclosed, what other useful information is there in someone's medical files?

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #10 of 23 Old 08-02-2012, 08:57 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 38
medical information is confidental and can be used against you by certain parties

thats why we have the HIPPA laws
post #11 of 23 Old 08-02-2012, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

fair enough taz. just for clarification, i don't lose sleep or worry. i also don't see sinister plots in everything. when they are explicitly acknowledged by the party committing the act, i do like to discuss it though. I do consider it an unnecessary intrusion into my life and oppose it and measures like it. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, just bringing up the facts because i think it affects all of those that drive.

post #12 of 23 Old 08-02-2012, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

we need a driving privacy law. so that can be broken in the name of "security" too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuderia430 View Post
medical information is confidental and can be used against you by certain parties

thats why we have the HIPPA laws

post #13 of 23 Old 08-02-2012, 10:49 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,196
wait for it....WAIT for it....W A I T ......

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #14 of 23 Old 08-02-2012, 12:56 PM
Owner

Proteus smart pill

its gonna be just for you......
post #15 of 23 Old 08-02-2012, 01:00 PM
Owner

post #16 of 23 Old 08-02-2012, 01:55 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,196

We can't even keep track of congress' bulls**t let alone all patients.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #17 of 23 Old 08-02-2012, 08:30 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 8
just another way to track what you are doing
post #18 of 23 Old 08-03-2012, 02:37 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,323
With my job and where I go, street cameras are the least of my worry. Wet, they're watching you just based on our chats! (don't worry, I told them you're cool)

Of all the narcissists I know, I love me the most.
post #19 of 23 Old 08-03-2012, 05:55 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetpet View Post
sorry kev you are wrong. you might want to read the article. it is the cameras on the poles. If you think homeland security doesn't have better equipment and software then you, you are mistaken.
I went back and read the article. Still 99 percent sure I'm correct about the little white bullet cameras mounted in most of the interesctions. The ones on the trunks and in NY the roofs of the cruisers are 100 percent license plate readers. Could they also be using red light and speed cameras to photograph every car that goes by? I'd say possible but I only see the flash when you speed so I would guess no?

Those cheap ass 2 inch diameter bullet cams don't have ability and if they are recording they are keeping it a real good secret. Why would they admit to storing the data from the cruiser mounted cams and not the ones above the intersection?

Do they have the technology to put up expensive and small cameras? I'm sure they do but I don't think the state is spending that kind of money with no return. The cruiser mounted cams bring in big money since they can whip around and pull you over right on the spot.

If you are really worried don't use an ATM or even walk in front of one or go on any private property like a Walmart. They absolutely photo and save the images both inside and out. Walmart has a cam at every register and has for at least the last 8 years.

Life is Good!
post #20 of 23 Old 08-03-2012, 06:08 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,839
Kevin...FYI. In Connecticut, they require you to have a front and rear facing License plate..the reason...Our plates are imbedded with bar codes that are only visible to the naked eye if you clean the plate well and hold in at the correct angle in bright lighting. These codes are for the plate readers that are associated with the pole mounted camera's. Just Sayin'

The GPS Navigation system I have (motorola TN765) has an application that indicates the presence of "security" camera's. I think it runs from a data base and not a detection system. I find that app VERY useful. I understand the app is available for other systems including droid based phones. System is outlawed in France, so it must be good.

Lane

Previous owner of 348ts SS #64, Now Ferrariless

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode