Community Guidelines? - Ferrari Life
Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 Old 06-25-2012, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Elite Member
 
Andrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: San Francisco
Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Community Guidelines?

As the site continues to expand with more members, there is a growing need to balance the way in which the community operates. We've enjoyed a nearly moderation free community for 10 years and I'd like to keep it that way. At the same time, we do need a few broad guidelines as to what is crossing the line.

To date, there hasn't been anything set, and I've never communicated anything to the few moderators we do have. This has of course created confusion at times and the moderation of some posts according to the best judgement of a moderator. If anyone is upset by this, I am to blame for not setting a few guidelines in the first place.

I'd like to get the communities feedback. Please feel free to comment here on how we proceed forward. Of course, any guidelines set will only be applied to future topics.
Andrew is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 40 Old 06-25-2012, 03:44 PM
Owner
 
Granucci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: far and away
Ferrari Life Posts: 6,193
seems we are all grown ups here, and even harsh responses should be taken with that grain, where one can take it and respond accordingly. I know some can be 'touchy' but it is usually handled by the parties involved. However, lately, I've seen [those in control] have jumped in and closed the thread.

some are no longer posting.

just sayin'.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !


Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
Granucci is offline  
post #3 of 40 Old 06-25-2012, 04:08 PM
Owner
Elite Member
 
wetpet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Chevy Chase, Md
Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
guidelines? we don't need no stinkin guidelines!

seriously, if the biggest kerfluffle we encounter is a mod closed a thread that was discussed by all mods and approved by the site owner, we need nothing. get over it, life ain't perfect.



100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
wetpet is offline  
 
post #4 of 40 Old 06-25-2012, 04:14 PM
Owner
 
barcheta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Maryland
Ferrari Life Posts: 1,875
Common sense is in the eye of the beholder..... what is logical for most isn't for some. So having said that I think some general guidelines per your desires Andrew for both users and mods may actually be a positive step.

Current: 85' GTS QV
It's a simple process...... it's just complicated by human beings....
barcheta is offline  
post #5 of 40 Old 06-25-2012, 04:14 PM
Owner
Elite Member
 
Pete04222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: USA & Singapore
Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Andrew, I agree with you. Things have been great here for 10 years. We've had a few issues but we've all been adult and apologized when needed or the offending person stopped posting.

I'm good with the way it is. I think we have enough sections for people to see what they want to see and avoid what they don't want to see. I wouldn't change it until it becomes an issue. I enjoy the dynamic community here that is self regulating. In the end, Andrew, I trust your judgement.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
Pete04222 is offline  
post #6 of 40 Old 06-25-2012, 04:17 PM
Owner
Elite Member
 
wetpet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Chevy Chase, Md
Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
wetpet is offline  
post #7 of 40 Old 06-25-2012, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Elite Member
 
Andrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: San Francisco
Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Thanks everyone. Per JB, I think a few might not hurt. I use the word "guidelines" because I don't want to set a bunch of rules and become police.

I think we could all agree that physical threats are a no no... good old fashion common sense applies. Anything else?
Andrew is offline  
post #8 of 40 Old 06-25-2012, 04:30 PM
Owner
Elite Member
 
wetpet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Chevy Chase, Md
Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
wetpet is offline  
post #9 of 40 Old 06-25-2012, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Elite Member
 
Andrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: San Francisco
Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetpet View Post
no commercial posts unless you are a sponsor.
There is another. I would say if it's a small local event, then it's OK. However, if you are coordinating Pebble Beach this year and the entry fee is $125 as a spectator, then you should sponsor.
Andrew is offline  
post #10 of 40 Old 06-25-2012, 04:49 PM
Owner
Elite Member
 
Pete04222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: USA & Singapore
Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
I think we could all agree that physical threats are a no no... good old fashion common sense applies. Anything else?
Physical threats? There haven't been any physical threats here! How could you say such a thing?! I ought to punch you in the mouth!

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
Pete04222 is offline  
post #11 of 40 Old 06-25-2012, 04:52 PM
Owner
 
champagne612's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: St Louis
Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetpet View Post
guidelines? we don't need no stinkin guidelines!

seriously, if the biggest kerfluffle we encounter is a mod closed a thread that was discussed by all mods and approved by the site owner, we need nothing. get over it, life ain't perfect.
Life isn't perfect - agreed!

Which is why when life isn’t perfect is the time to open your eyes / mind and do what is best for you.

It's the time when one should listen to others but make their own choice.

If we all wanted things in our lives to be status quo we wouldn't be posting in a Ferrari forum.

Andrew made a point to raise the level - it's valid and one I would like to hear what others have to say.

Last edited by champagne612; 06-25-2012 at 05:23 PM.
champagne612 is offline  
post #12 of 40 Old 06-25-2012, 05:00 PM
 
GuyIncognito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Ferrari Life Posts: 3,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetpet View Post
guidelines? we don't need no stinkin guidelines!
sure we do....


Quote:
Originally Posted by rollsorferrari? View Post
Chas, you sir, are a genius.
GuyIncognito is offline  
post #13 of 40 Old 06-25-2012, 05:11 PM
Owner
Elite Member
 
Pete04222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: USA & Singapore
Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by champagne612 View Post
Out of respect of what brought us here - let's at least do the best at building a solid foundation as I value my and others time who enjoy the site.

Andrew made a point to raise the level - it's valid and one I would like to hear what others have to say.
Wow. That could be a quote from George Orwell's Animal Farm book I'm reading about centralized government. Andrew and you are the pigs Napoleon and Snowball. Boxer the horse in the book that says, "Napoleon is always right." and gets worked to death.

I think we've been doing a good job of deciding for ourselves what posts we make should go in the driver's lounge, backroom lounge or elite member's lounge and we know the limits on how not to individually insult someone.

From what I've seen we all know how to interact with each other and I will quote wetpet, "guidelines? we don't need no stinkin guidelines!"

(I'm not saying Andrew and Doug are the pigs. I'm saying don't worry about fixing a problem that doesn't exist.)

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
Pete04222 is offline  
post #14 of 40 Old 06-25-2012, 05:22 PM
Owner
 
champagne612's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: St Louis
Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete04222 View Post
Wow. That could be a quote from George Orwell's Animal Farm book I'm reading about centralized government. Andrew and you are the pigs Napoleon and Snowball. Boxer the horse in the book that says, "Napoleon is always right." and gets worked to death.

I think we've been doing a good job of deciding for ourselves what posts we make should go in the driver's lounge, backroom lounge or elite member's lounge and we know the limits on how not to individually insult someone.

From what I've seen we all know how to interact with each other and I will quote wetpet, "guidelines? we don't need no stinkin guidelines!"

(I'm not saying Andrew and Doug are the pigs. I'm saying don't worry about fixing a problem that doesn't exist.)
Thanks - I think

I can't argue which is why I wanted to post it out vs pm's.

Pete you and many others have a strong personality - it's the ones that don't that simply leave and never return.

Having these discussions if nothing else raises awareness and that's worth a lot to a pig that gets slaughtered.
champagne612 is offline  
post #15 of 40 Old 06-25-2012, 06:21 PM
Owner
Elite Member
 
Magnum6464's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Quebexico, Canada
Ferrari Life Posts: 1,990
Andrew, I don’t agree that guidelines are a good thing. I agree with Capt Pete. I also believe that guidelines will create only one thing, more confusion from other moderators where to draw the line and it will inadvertently create a feeling of Policing. Basically like Blue Land, and it will end up being Mods and popular farts or post whores against the rest of the little guys.

We have been doing fine for a long time, yeah some push boundaries but not on purpose, I know I have been in the driver seat a few times. But it always ends up working in the end for everyone. Like Doug said, alot of people have strong personalities.....so it's normal for this to happen some times.


~

Mario

1990 348 TS (87284)

“I build cars for young men that only old men can afford” - Enzo Ferrari
Magnum6464 is offline  
post #16 of 40 Old 06-25-2012, 09:57 PM
Owner
Elite Member
 
Pete04222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: USA & Singapore
Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
There's another popular Ferrari chat group and all the complaints I hear from there are about the moderators and adminstrator. The "hands-off" approach here has seemed to work for 10 years and the site has grown. Guide and coach, don't direct. Don't try and fix something that's not broken.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
Pete04222 is offline  
post #17 of 40 Old 06-25-2012, 10:23 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member
 
Boxer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: UK & Texas
Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Thanks everyone. Per JB, I think a few might not hurt. I use the word "guidelines" because I don't want to set a bunch of rules and become police.

I think we could all agree that physical threats are a no no... good old fashion common sense applies. Anything else?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
There is another. I would say if it's a small local event, then it's OK. However, if you are coordinating Pebble Beach this year and the entry fee is $125 as a spectator, then you should sponsor.
Agree and would add that street racing is a no go.
Boxer is offline  
post #18 of 40 Old 06-25-2012, 10:59 PM
Owner
Elite Member
 
Pete04222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: USA & Singapore
Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
Agree and would add that street racing is a no go.
There's already laws against street racing. Do we really need to reinforce them here? There's laws against physical threat too so that's covered. I don't think we need to worry about stuff that's already illegal. (On another site an illegal street event featuring high speed driving was posted. I didn't PM the moderators on the site, I emailed the State Police. The event was stopped. Nobody got hurt and nobody got arrested.)

We could just have one general guideline that says, "Don't do anything here you wouldn't do in front of your mother." I realize that I might still offend some people with that rule but I can always use the "Hey, I didn't ask to be born!" excuse.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."

Last edited by Pete04222; 06-25-2012 at 11:29 PM.
Pete04222 is offline  
post #19 of 40 Old 06-25-2012, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Elite Member
 
Andrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: San Francisco
Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Pete,

Your posts are always spot on. Let's avoid things we wouldn't do in front of our Moms.

Spelling out a few of those things is for the benefit of the community. It isn't to beat people over the head with rule. As always, we'll respond with, "hey man, you kinda crossed the line on that one, let's try to avoid it from happening again"

So to recap is...
1. Keep threats to a minimal, the occasional jab in the mouth from Capt. Pete is OK

2. No commercial posts unless you are a sponsor

3. Bragging about your latest exploit that would have landed you in jail is probably not a good idea

4. Avoid doing things you wouldn't otherwise do in front of of your Mom, like talking with your mouth full

Boom... done... that was easy.

So how 'bout them Giants? They totally killed the Dodgers tonight, great game.
Attached Images
 
Andrew is offline  
post #20 of 40 Old 06-26-2012, 12:22 AM
Owner
Elite Member
 
Pete04222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: USA & Singapore
Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Pete,

Your posts are always spot on. Let's avoid things we wouldn't do in front of our Moms.

Spelling out a few of those things is for the benefit of the community. It isn't to beat people over the head with rule. As always, we'll respond with, "hey man, you kinda crossed the line on that one, let's try to avoid it from happening again"

So to recap is...
1. Keep threats to a minimal, the occasional jab in the mouth from Capt. Pete is OK

2. No commercial posts unless you are a sponsor

3. Bragging about your latest exploit that would have landed you in jail is probably not a good idea

4. Avoid doing things you wouldn't otherwise do in front of of your Mom, like talking with your mouth full

Boom... done... that was easy.

So how 'bout them Giants? They totally killed the Dodgers tonight, great game.
Agreed. I still owe you a punch in the mouth though because you crossed the line. But we'll get over it and move on. My Mom will be like, "Why did you punch Andrew?" and I'll be like, "He was looking at me funny." We both go to bed without dinner and tomorrow Mom will ask if we'd learned our lesson. Outside we go. Friends and brothers as always.

Funny how people forget the shit they learned when they were 5 years old.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."

Last edited by Pete04222; 06-26-2012 at 12:30 AM.
Pete04222 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
Copyright 2012 ONE Media, Inc.
FerrariLife is independently run with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA
Ferrari for Sale | Maserati for Sale