Ignorance is Bliss (Part 1) - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 06-10-2012, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 504
Ignorance is Bliss (Part 1)

It isn’t every day that one announces the release of one’s first novel. Rarer still is the day one announces the release of one’s first novel ‘Part 1’, but for me this day has come. And so, without further ado, I announce the release of ‘Ignorance is Bliss: A story proving that one man can make a difference—unfortunately’ ({Part 1).

‘Ignorance…’ is a political satire with a full measure of irony in every passage. I present here a short excerpt lifted from the back cover which will give you a sense of our hero, Senator Martin Bliss:

A phone call was put through to Martin's desk in spite of standing orders to the contrary and, for reasons Martin himself couldn't explain, he answered it.

"Senator?" a heavy masculine voice at the other end of the line inquired.

"Which one?" Martin parried.

"Bliss."

"Can you make this brief?" Martin asked without even wanting to know who was on the line, although the voice seemed familiar.

"I shouldn't need you for more than an hour. Randy's here and we want to get everything pointed in the right direction. There's a car downstairs right now waiting to bring you over here." Whoever it was seemed pretty damned sure of himself.

"Where is here?" Martin asked, thinking it might make a difference.

"The Oval Office," answered the President.

Stephen Mitchell’s Ignorance is Bliss takes us into the myopic and inebriated world of Martin Bliss, a senior Senator and an important figure on the Senate Intelligence Committee. He comes from a privileged background--his father held sway over the Senate Ways and Means Committee--and Martin is striving to create his own legacy.

Unfortunately, he will do just that!

Cover design by Chad Glass

Ignorance is Bliss (Part1)
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-10-2012, 07:44 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
Stephen- Sounds like fun. Tell Chad his cover design is first class. Overtones of the Decisions, Decisions, Decisions poster.

I see it on Amazon. How do I get a signed copy?

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #3 of 11 Old 06-10-2012, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Stephen- Sounds like fun. Tell Chad his cover design is first class. Overtones of the Decisions, Decisions, Decisions poster.

I see it on Amazon. How do I get a signed copy?
You are right--I will tell him!

Check your PM re: signed copy...

post #4 of 11 Old 06-10-2012, 07:49 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Stephen- Signed copy?

Taz
Terry Phillips

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #5 of 11 Old 06-10-2012, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Stephen- Signed copy?
I just sent you a PM...
post #6 of 11 Old 06-10-2012, 08:08 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Stephen- Thanks.

Taz
Terry Phillips

post #7 of 11 Old 06-12-2012, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Owner

As I wrote the character of Senator Martin Bliss, I pictured Jack Nicholson in my mind. Can you tell?

"Martin dreamt that the phone was ringing in his ear. It had to be a dream because the phone in his bedroom never rang. The ringer, buzzer, toner or whatever it was called--since phones don't really “ring” anymore--had been surgically neutered to insure his wife's ability to sleep until noon on week days and beyond that on weekends and legal holidays. But as Martin grabbed for the receiver and pulled it towards him to answer the call, he found that what he had was a handful of handle instead of a phone. The handle was attached to the inside rear passenger door of a taxicab in which Martin was apparently riding and his effort to answer the phone only served to open the car's door as it rounded a corner. Centrifugal force launched Martin through the open door towards the pavement, which he hit and bounced off of in a forty-five degree angle. His momentum carried him over the curb and onto the sidewalk where he came to rest on his feet leaning against a streetlamp."
post #8 of 11 Old 06-15-2012, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Now available in Kindle Edition:

"Out of the corner of his eye, Martin saw Martha shift in her seat. She leaned forward, as though something was about to be decided. This caused her breasts to push up against the neckline of her dress in a way that couldn't be fully appreciated out of the corner of one’s eye. So, Martin turned his head to look directly into the abyss of her cleavage. He was vaguely aware that Murray was talking again."

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008BMOXVG
post #9 of 11 Old 11-02-2012, 12:54 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,130
Just finished reading my signed copy of Ignorance is Bliss Part 1. Many laugh out loud moments, a fantastic read! Seemed appropriate that I read it while in New York with half an eye on the tv following the run up to the presidential elections.

By Sunday coverage had switched exclusively to Hurricane Sandy. Hugely impressed with the extensive before, during and after coverage of Sandy. Relieved to have made it with only minor inconvenience. Fortunately my hotel is located on Lexington Ave and East 50th. My feelings go out to those very nearby who suffered a lot more than just inconvenience. On Monday and Tuesday I was walking to an empty office in the world's biggest ghost town. Took a taxi down to Tribeca on Wednesday to collect a colleague (no power and no taxis down there). Was incredible to cross 25th heading from a world of traffic lights, power, open shops, people going about their daily business. To a world of no taxis, no people, no power.

Each time I visit NYC I like it more and more. This visit added huge respect for her resilience and determination.

Whenever I re-read this hilarious book it will take me back to this incredible place and time.

David

Current: 365BB, 550 bluebird and a few 911's
Past: 246gt, 512BB, 308 GTB "Michalone" and a few 911's
post #10 of 11 Old 11-02-2012, 12:57 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Stephen- How about Part II? You left us hanging and I want to see who gets hanged.

Taz
Terry Phillips

post #11 of 11 Old 11-02-2012, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Thank you Vitalone & Taz for your enthusiasm! Bliss II is coming slowly because Chad Glass and I are wanting to finish the GTO book...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode