Article on BMW - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 06-01-2012, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,094
Article on BMW

"The Collector": BMW History Preserved - Stance Works

For those of us with an appreciation of the old Beemers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-02-2012, 12:25 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1exander View Post
"The Collector": BMW History Preserved - Stance Works

For those of us with an appreciation of the old Beemers.
Thanx for the article, Peter ! I enjoyed the read very much.

Amazing how someone can have such passion, it is beyond a hobby. I do not profess to be a BMW expert since I know so little, but I know I do have a soft spot for those "old" 2002s era cars. Thanx again.

w/ smiles
Jimmy
post #3 of 5 Old 06-02-2012, 01:56 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,130
Fantastic article, thanks Peter! Am a fan of the BMW's from the '60s and '70s. Dad owned a succession including 2800, 30s, 735i lhd with bbms rims manual and 635 spoilers, as well as 635CSi. I had a great "race" to Cape Town in the 635 once. A guy in a 348 would blast past us every two hours or so, and we would repass him refueling the Ferrari. We held a smooth cruise at 160 at about 3000rpm (the 635 had a lonnng 5th gear) and the 348 would pass us at 200 plus. That 348 at speed sounded wonderful! He would have to stop for fuel twice as often as us. We enjoyed our tortoise and hare race all the way through the Karoo.

And then there was the 2002ti. Orange, black interior and lhd (the twin carb set up meant there was never a rhd version if my understanding is correct). In the days before speed limits we used to regularly do the 600 plus km drive from Johannesburg to Durban in 4 hours. Mom, Dad, Sister and myself when there were no freeways linking the two cities. Greig's Piano Concerto blasting through the 8 track as we blasted under the hot African sun in that orange missile. This would have been for our annual holidays during 1971-1973 when I was 3-5 years old. To this day the music of snorting carbs and Greig's Piano Concerto make the hairs on my neck stand up.

Not to mention an epic blast in Switzerland I enjoyed in an M1 20 years ago. The howling music of that straight 6, the gorgeous interior and sheer speed of the M1. Oh yes, me want!

Thanks Peter for awaking some wonderful memories of times made more magic by BMWs when they were relatively unknown cars in SA with many driven by true driving enthusiasts. The dream garage includes aforesaid M1 plus 30 CSL and 2002ti...

David

Current: 365BB, 550 bluebird and a few 911's
Past: 246gt, 512BB, 308 GTB "Michalone" and a few 911's

post #4 of 5 Old 06-02-2012, 05:59 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,094
Jimmy and David thank you.
Man but you can pen an article in such a fashion as to make the reader loose himself in your story.
Talking of M1 cars at the time that I bought my 355 (9 years ago) Viglietti had an M1 for sale white LHD and a little tatty was sorely tempted.......but finances would not allow me no matter how I played with them.
post #5 of 5 Old 06-02-2012, 12:08 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Nice article - agree with Jimmy the 2002 is one of the best!

FF 16M Speciale
Lamborghini SV Roadster
Carrera GT GT3RS Viper ACR
Bentayga 69z28 Healey

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode