How to melt your front differential in two easy steps - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 05-31-2012, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,112
Garage
How to melt your front differential in two easy steps

Howdy boys feels like I have been missing for some time.

So most of you know I finally received my Diablo Roadster less than 2 weeks ago to my absolute delight. The car is more amazing every day I drive her.

Unfortunately last Fri on my first long trip with her I cooked the front differential.

When I received the car I mediately changed the wheels to Murcielago wheels and the right spec of tires. My Roadster had Michellen sport Pilot so I purchased the same. I read every thread about tire change, not once did they mention about exact tire dimension. And when I say exact I'm talking about 1/2 inch out in total.

If I would have put the Pirelli tires on it there would have been no issues as they are slightly lower profile. But I did not so driving around town was no problem, or short trips etc.. but my last trip was over 6 hrs, just enough time to boil the oil and cook the front end SUMBITCH.

I made it to Calgary and into ZR Exotics where she sits today. I was lucky I have heard horror stories about seizing front ends before.

The story is not all bad though I have read about 2wd conversion and was very interested in performing this on my Roadster. When lambo introduced the AWD in the VT Diablo, it literally tamed the beast.
There was over 20% HP loss, gas mileage increased significantly, clutch life shortened, in town drivability affected, 0-60 time diminished, top end speed diminished as well.
So why add the AWD system, apparently much better to control car in wet conditions as these things have so much torque if the tires are slightly cold or wet very easy to loose it.

After a bit of searching I talked to several owners that have done this exact conversion, they all said the same thing your car will come alive you will not regret it. Good enough for me I hunted down some SV axel deletes, this what basically my car is without awd an SV minus the extra 20 HP, I reduce weight by 110lbs, I set up to SV specs and voilą, Hyper car is born .

Unfortunately I have to wait a little longer do to the earthquake in Italy as they shut down Lamborghini factory for period of time. Cest La vie

Night life........ain't a good life........but it's my life -- Willy Nelson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-01-2012, 04:40 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
sounds like a fortunate circumstance. can't wait to hear the driving impressions.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #3 of 5 Old 06-01-2012, 05:38 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 161
Wow, I assume it was the wrong diameter for the fronts and not a right to left difference, right?

I would've never thought of that. But glad there is a silver lining to it and that conversion sounds like MUCH less maintenance/worry in the long run.

post #4 of 5 Old 06-01-2012, 06:09 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,193
would have thought of that conversion . so the factory has the front differential you need or conversion kit ?

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #5 of 5 Old 06-02-2012, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,112
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by N2 TRBL View Post
Wow, I assume it was the wrong diameter for the fronts and not a right to left difference, right?

I would've never thought of that. But glad there is a silver lining to it and that conversion sounds like MUCH less maintenance/worry in the long run.
Yes front tire diameter was the issue. From what we figured out 2.5% difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granucci View Post
would have thought of that conversion . so the factory has the front differential you need or conversion kit ?
Factory has conversion kit, basically to eliminate front differential, and remove longer axles, replace with cover and bearings.

Good thing about procedure it is totally reversible when ever you want.

Night life........ain't a good life........but it's my life -- Willy Nelson

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode