What do you do for a living? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 77 Old 07-31-2002, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 94
What do you do for a living?

Well all these Ferrari enthusists. . .the car's aren't exactly cheap.

Just curious.

Jason-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 77 Old 07-31-2002, 10:53 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,082
OK, i'll start.

I'm an IT Technician, so i work in the computer bussines.
I usually do sub-contractor work for other firms like installing broadband internet connections (cable & dsl), placing small networks and installing and programming Cisco routers
post #3 of 77 Old 07-31-2002, 12:11 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 824
Student and part-time Fedex driver. Well, it used to be on the F1 Ferraris, but they switched to eh.. Williams. Hope to graduate before the end of the year and then I can start working for that Ferrari.

Niels

post #4 of 77 Old 07-31-2002, 02:19 PM

Niels
what are you studying for then??
post #5 of 77 Old 07-31-2002, 03:12 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 824
Already finished my Batchelor in Logistics and am now in the closing stages of my master in Business Administration.

Niels
post #6 of 77 Old 07-31-2002, 08:22 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 575
Tradesman (welder/fabricator/truck-trailer mechanic)
post #7 of 77 Old 08-01-2002, 04:02 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Chief Officer on a Drillship in the Gulf of Mexico. Exploring for the oil & gas to keep these cars running!

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
post #8 of 77 Old 08-01-2002, 12:01 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 29
Land surveyor in the hot sunny state of Florida. Usually spend most of the time running from gators and snakes though :green:
post #9 of 77 Old 08-01-2002, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric308gtsiqv
Land surveyor in the hot sunny state of Florida. Usually spend most of the time running from gators and snakes though :green:
what's that excately??????
post #10 of 77 Old 08-01-2002, 01:06 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 29
In a nutshell, a land surveyor is one who surveys property for construction, real estate transactions, public transportation, land development, etc.

We are the guys you would normally see standing in the middle of the interstate looking through a transit while dodging cars

Seriously though, it is a little more complicated than that. For starters, to be licensed to practice (at least in the state of Florida), you must have a 4 year degree (usually in an engineering background). Then one must pass a three day exam administered by the state, in addition to the apprenticeship requirements. All this to pet gators, run from snakes, and dodge cars! ha:

The majority of our clients are land developers, local and state governments and municipalities, realtors, title companies, mortgage companies, construction companies, local builders, real estate attorneys, architects, and engineering firms -- the latter of which we work very closely with in the design of roadways, subdivisions, utilities, and so forth.

The land surveyor's primary job, first and foremost, is the retracement of property boundaries based on previous surveys done all the way back to the establishment of section land grants in the 1800's -- and the mapping and recording of that information for future preservation. The majority of this is spent "in the field" finding original boundary corners, chopping out boundaries through the woods and swamps with machetes, and measuring between these corners or laying out roadways, parking lots, buildings, etc.

Technological improvements are making these tasks not only easier, but also much more accurate. GPS systems are used primarily in the majority of day to day fieldwork, as well as "total station" transits that collect the field data (angles, distances, elevations) automatically for simple upload or download to computer software back in the office thus greatly simplifying the mapping of this information.

It's a very challenging, rewarding, and diverse line of work -- especially if you like getting outdoors!
post #11 of 77 Old 08-01-2002, 01:14 PM

AAAAAAhhhhhhh, now i untherstand, LOL in a nutshell he says :wink:

But it seems a pretty hard job.
At least i know what you mean with being "outdoors"
well i just don't feel like sitting behind a desk in an office
post #12 of 77 Old 08-06-2002, 01:24 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,696
Me, I run a vocational school. After turning it around, the school decided to buy me a car. It happen to be a 550. Now was that but a nice thing to do for me? I will not quit and lose the car.

Say, anyone want a job? LMAO

:wink:
post #13 of 77 Old 08-06-2002, 06:23 PM
Owner
Elite Member

The group assembled:
Runs a voc school, land surveyor, merchant marine, welder/fabricator, fedex driver/logistics/MBA and an IT tech. (reported in so far).

What a diverse group that has gathered with a common interest. This is a great thread you started Jason. I look forward to hearing from other members and what they do to make ends meet.

Capt. Pete
post #14 of 77 Old 08-09-2002, 09:49 PM
Owner

Imagine, I've worked for this company for three years now and only two days ago, I find out we've had a website for quite some time. This is who I work for:

http://www.advanceengineeredproducts.com/
post #15 of 77 Old 08-09-2002, 11:17 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Cool!! Great website, the pneumatic trailers are way cool! Have you built any of those Peter? I see you guys have one location in the States.

This is the company I work for:
http://www.deepwater.com/

If you click on "fleet information" and you can look at the "Deepwater Horizon". That is the ship that I am the Chief Officer on.
The ship looks real bulky, but I'm tellin' ya, it handles like a Ferrari!
Check out the power: Engines - 6 x Wartsila 18V32 rated 9775 hp each Driving thrusters - 8 x Kamewa rated 7375 hp each

Capt. Pete
post #16 of 77 Old 08-09-2002, 11:52 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Pete & Peter,
Awesome sites. Pete, I will never look at Hyundai in the same way now. They made your ship! How often are you at sea? Peter, for whatever reason I liked the Large Capacity Refuelers and the vacuum trucks. Ever work on those?
post #17 of 77 Old 08-10-2002, 01:09 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Andrew,
I agree with you, those vacuum trucks and refuelers are really cool!

About the Hyundai, well that is kind of a running joke onboard, at $350 million we feel that we paid for a Cadillac, but got a Hyundai. But to build that same ship in the States would have cost over $500 million. You can't pay Americans $10/day and feed 'em fish heads.

Actually, that is a prejudicial remark. The Korean economy is not as strong as the economy we enjoy in the U.S. and Korean shipbuilding is subsidised by the government of South Korea. The people of South Korea are nice, hard-working people and I have the greatest respect for them.

The U.S. will not subsidise commercial shipbuilding even though there there is a law stating that ships travelling between U.S. ports be built in U.S. shipyards and manned by U.S. citizens. That is why you see so many tugboats pushing barges up and down the coast instead of American-flagged ships.

As for my schedule, I work 3 weeks on and 3 weeks off. I ship out of New Orleans and the company pays for all my travel.

Capt. Pete
post #18 of 77 Old 08-10-2002, 08:47 AM

Pete, you cant call that a ship anymore
that's a complete island :green:
damn that's huge

Hey Andrew, i've noticed that you aren't standing in here with your job.

BTW, this is my company
http://www.infraworldwide.com
post #19 of 77 Old 08-10-2002, 11:56 AM
Owner

Pete04222:

Those are some pretty impressive specs. I can't believe that thing has a drilling capacity of 30000ft!!.

To those who asked:

I work primarily in the service shop, so I've worked on all of those types of vehicles (doing all kinds of repairs). I also work time-to-time in the production shop building the crude oil trailers and a couple of years ago, was involved in all of the large-capacity aircraft refuelers (40 of those). And last year we wrapped up production of 14 hydrant-cart aircraft refuelers (10 of which serve LAX in Los Angeles). The vacuum tanks are cool when new, but when they've carried human waste.... NOT FUN TO WORK ON! (downside of the job...)
post #20 of 77 Old 08-11-2002, 10:12 AM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Dirk,
I'm in the process of moving to Japan for a few years to teach. To get the visa is a pain in the ass(which is what I'm waiting for). I hope to be there by October 1st so I can see the last race of the season. But it looks like I may have to wait until January. After this I have no idea what my plans will be. So my job is a soon to be teacher.

Pete,
I was curious. Is that an actual boat or does another boat tow the rig out to sea and then you all fill up the 4 columns with water to float it. I never realized those where boats.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode