Aptera USA / ZAP Motors - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 05-07-2012, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,193
Aptera USA / ZAP Motors

I have been involved, by renting the space as a partner, to Zap motors before it's merge with the China firm of Jonway. Electric vehicles to include motor bikes etc.

Struggling. The old winery bld. being used to house the assembled vehicles for sale has been tough on our partnership which I refuse to elaborate.

However, some good news, and I know some members here are into the electric vehicles scene, is that Aptera USA has agreed to use our Santa Rosa facility to assemble vehicles.

5-10K chassis will begin to be assembled which put our 30ksqft rental in 'better' order and employs some new 15-25 US Workers.

just thought I'd pass it along. Weird vehicle or not, they sell.
Santa Rosa said to be home for reborn Aptera electric roadster – North Bay Business Journal - North San Francisco Bay Area, Sonoma, Marin, Napa counties - Archive

NOW< IF ONLY I can get the new Sonoma Raceway facilities on a large business park moving I would retire in just two years

be we all know that'll never happen and if it did I would not be retired anyway as not only do I own two Ferraris one is a 456.
The new money pit.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan

Last edited by Granucci; 05-07-2012 at 10:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-07-2012, 10:30 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Congratulations!

Old saying in CRE

Feast or famine when it's bad make sure your insurance policies are in order.

A vacant property is 5 times more likely to be vandalized or damaged.

You may want to grab your policy and take a good look.

FF 16M Speciale
Lamborghini SV Roadster
Carrera GT GT3RS Viper ACR
Bentayga 69z28 Healey
post #3 of 8 Old 05-07-2012, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by champagne612 View Post
Congratulations!

Old saying in CRE

Feast or famine when it's bad make sure your insurance policies are in order.

A vacant property is 5 times more likely to be vandalized or damaged.

You may want to grab your policy and take a good look.
It wasn't abandoned nor vacant. ZAP was a major renter, but were having 'issues'....many suggested deals etc. be we held for what has finally happened.

the property is the only one approved for part of Santa Rosa's 'old town' revit. projects. We have three city blocks to work with including the old 1840's winery. We are to put in a galleria with train station as the SMART [Sonoma Marin Area Rapid Transit] will be stopping at that bldg.

WIll include about 50 upscale live work loft and condos to also have about 30 business addresses.

BUT this economy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yikes.

I agree with you on insurance and that is well done....we are only the caretakers of that structure with redwood beams and brick areas etc.

I hear you on the feast and famine....nice to have a bone once in again. Thanks.

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:

post #4 of 8 Old 05-07-2012, 02:24 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Sounds like one heck of a project - bought a building awhile back that was / is slated for a Metro Link station. They want me to build a 500 car parking garage and tie my hands with easements on the remaining 8 acres.

I decided they need me more than I need them - but that bone sure does wet an appetite.

Never worried about the economy in commercial - prime locations and proper zoning as you certainly have are impossible to duplicate.

Just curious is there a college or hospital nearby?

FF 16M Speciale
Lamborghini SV Roadster
Carrera GT GT3RS Viper ACR
Bentayga 69z28 Healey
post #5 of 8 Old 05-07-2012, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by champagne612 View Post
Sounds like one heck of a project - bought a building awhile back that was / is slated for a Metro Link station. They want me to build a 500 car parking garage and tie my hands with easements on the remaining 8 acres.

I decided they need me more than I need them - but that bone sure does wet an appetite.

Never worried about the economy in commercial - prime locations and proper zoning as you certainly have are impossible to duplicate.

Just curious is there a college or hospital nearby?

know the drill. Last set of lofts done had the larges underground garage [think it still stands the record today] for parking: 2 acres underground!!!! One driveway. Right next to my brick driveway near the square.

here is 1/3 of the project already approved. another two city blocks are beside and below this one.

Parking here is well hidden as these are three story structures and the garages look like storefronts....sneaky.

Basically, wish I'd never gotten into this

- started in 2005/6 and econ dumped
- never really satisfied with some of the designes, but that a committee for you.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 806_Donahue_St[1][1].pdf (2.28 MB, 241 views)

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #6 of 8 Old 05-10-2012, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Update: https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&i....1&disp=vah&zw
Quote:
It looks like an airplane without wings and has had some trouble getting off the ground, but the Aptera 2e may finally be ready for liftoff.
The ultra-aerodynamic electric vehicle promised to deliver the equivalent of more than 200 MPG, but the company behind it ran out of money before it could put it into production.
California-based Aptera Motors went out of business last year after being denied a $150 million loan from the Energy Department to develop the 2e, along with a four-door battery-powered car reportedly good for 190 mpg, which would sell for $30,000.
The 190 MPG Aptera electric car that never was
Now a newly formed company, backed by a Chinese investor, has purchased most of the assets of Aptera Motors and says it will start selling the 2e next year.
In a deal facilitated by Santa Rosa, Calif., real estate developer Rick Deringer, Chinese auto and motorcycle company Jonway Group and several American minority investors have formed Aptera USA, a California-registered entity with plans for a pan-Pacific assembly line for the 2e.
The composite body of the 2e will be manufactured at a Jonway facility in China, then shipped to a Santa Rosa assembly plant where American-sourced Remy electric motors and batteries from A123 systems will be installed. Another Jonway electric car subsidiary, Zap Jonway, rents space in the same Santa Rosa development.
The system is similar to that used by another California startup electric car company, Coda Automotive, which also imports chassis from China and completes assembly at a facility in Benicia, not far from Aptera USA’s Santa Rosa headquarters.
Pricing for the 2e has not yet been determined, but Deringer tells FoxNews.com that the company could manufacture as many as 25,000 of the vehicles next year. Deringer says Aptera USA will not be seeking any government assistance to help fund the company.
Technically a motorcycle, the three-wheel 2e seats two with a large luggage area in its tapered tail and has an estimated range of more than 100 miles per charge. Deringer plans to open a retail site near the Santa Rosa factory and follow the marketing model of electric car company Tesla by setting up showrooms in shopping centers around the country, starting in California.
Along with the rights and tooling for the 2e, Aptera USA purchased the prototypes and designs for the four-door car, as well as a list of 58,000 potential customers, including 5,000 who placed deposits on the 2e before Aptera Motors went out of business.
Deringer expects to reopen the order books within a month, and will likely require a $500 deposit to get on the list; money he says will be held in an escrow account and not tapped to fund production of the car. A plug-in hybrid version of the 2e is also in the works, as is an electric truck and solar-powered charging stations to go with them, according to Deringer.
Aptera Motors’ marketing manager, Marquez McCammon, has joined the new team and Deringer has approached other former employees about coming onboard. He says he is also talking to a number of international distributors that are interested in selling the 2e in Europe and Asia, and hopes to see the company go public in the near future.
I don't care about how it looks as in too futuristic, I just hope one of my ships that have been out to sea finally comes in.....been a long dry spell.
Attached Images

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #7 of 8 Old 05-10-2012, 02:33 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
Actually I think it is pretty cool looking. It should appeal to people.

I just hope it is better in the quality department than most Chinese products I experience. If it fails at that it will take many years of a quality product to overcome the bad first impression.

Hope it all works out for you.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-10-2012, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Actually I think it is pretty cool looking. It should appeal to people.

I just hope it is better in the quality department than most Chinese products I experience. If it fails at that it will take many years of a quality product to overcome the bad first impression.

Hope it all works out for you.

Thanks Brian.

What I truly hope for it the rent checks clearing. We'll talk about ZAP off line next time I'm in.

Some 'other' good news is the bonds for the SMART passed. Now the train can get started.

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode