Racetrack wallet thefts caught! - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 03-21-2012, 06:37 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,354
Racetrack wallet thefts caught!

This guy has been hitting racetracks around the country for years. He got my wallet and others at VIR and also hit tracks as far away as Road America. He targets a race group and locates thier paddock spots. When that group goes out he goes in all the trailers and steals the wallets from your street clothes.

Gainesville, FL -- A Georgia man who police report is suspected in race trailer burglaries over the past several years at Daytona, Sebring and Road Atlanta has been arrested after being caught sneaking into an RV at the NHRA Gatornationals in Gainesville, FL last week.

According to the Daytona Beach News-Journal, Gainesville police charged Steven Garry Sanders, 51, of Macon, GA with burglary after victims at the Gainesville track allegedly caught him in the act. "He was subdued in the pits by some of the fans and spectators and had to be taken to the hospital and treated" before he was booked into jail, Alachua County sheriff's spokesman Art Forgey told the Gainesville Sun. Forgey added, "Somebody at the track told us that they have had this problem before at the events, of people going into motor homes and taking stuff." According to the police report, Sanders had his victim's wallet, credit cards, ID and cash in his pocket when arrested.

Daytona Beach investigators told the paper they believe Sanders is the same man who stole a number of wallets from Daytona International Speedway race trailers during events over the last three years and fraudulently purchased items at area big-box stores including Publix, Dillards and Walmart, where surveillance video reportedly showed Sanders buying gift cards, bottled water and beer. A race fan tape-recorded Sanders as he allegedly stole from a nearby RV and still had his camera running when Sanders came into his vehicle next, Forgey said.

Daytona Beach police Sgt. Mike Griffin told the News-Journal that the suspect's preference was the road course races such as the Rolex 24 at Daytona, because they make it easier for a burglar to get in and out of the motor homes and trailers because racing team crew members are usually locals hired just for that race. "If they saw him standing around one of the trailers (and didn't recognize him) they probably thought he was just one of the crew members," Griffin said. At the 2012 Daytona 24, racer Lance Willsey was one of Sanders' alleged victims; Willsey left his trailer closed, but not locked, and went to the pit area. When he returned, he found his wallet and $800 in it both gone. After reporting his credit cards stolen, police found the surveillance videos showing the suspect using the stolen cards.

Sanders was charged in Gainesville with grand theft, burglary and providing false information to law enforcement, with bond set at $45,000. In addition, a Florida judge signed a warrant to have Sanders brought back to Volusia to face charges in Willsey's case and another 2010 Daytona theft.

According to an e-mail from Historic Sportscar Racing, anyone who's been a theft victim at Road Atlanta can contact the Hall County, GA detective working those cases, Joe Marriotti at 770.531.6879. HSR also reminded "...as always, please do not leave your paddock area unlocked when unattended."
Attached Images

------------------------------

Life is Good!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 03-21-2012, 06:38 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Glad to see the guys that caught him gave him a tune up before turning him in!

Life is Good!
post #3 of 16 Old 03-21-2012, 09:55 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,516
I AM NOT A CROOK!

I AM NOT GUILTY!
(until the fat lady sings)

post #4 of 16 Old 03-21-2012, 01:59 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
post #5 of 16 Old 03-21-2012, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Owner

I heard he accidently fell a couple times on his way to security

I talked with Det. Marrioti today. He said the guys in the paddock worked him over pretty good before they called the cops.

Life is Good!
post #6 of 16 Old 03-21-2012, 05:30 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,132
Holy fuck that guy is ugly.

And pretty dumb to use stollen credit cards.
post #7 of 16 Old 03-21-2012, 05:45 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,340
gotta love racers...steal from them, and you get the shit beaten out of you.

well done, gents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollsorferrari? View Post
Chas, you sir, are a genius.
post #8 of 16 Old 03-21-2012, 07:57 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by 360 Modena View Post
I AM NOT A CROOK!

I AM NOT GUILTY!
(until the fat lady sings)

love the new picture
post #9 of 16 Old 03-21-2012, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 355dreamer View Post
Holy fuck that guy is ugly.

And pretty dumb to use stollen credit cards.

Probably pretty smart. Got away with it since at least 2004. Probably got $10 to $20K each time. He went right to the mall and bought gift cards and then used them to buy more gift cards. Got five wallets, a camera the day he got mine. One wallet had $1,100 cash in it. He had $2,400 charged on my cards within 45 minutes. By moving around track to track most thought it was isolated local theft.

Life is Good!
post #10 of 16 Old 03-22-2012, 03:16 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
love the new picture
The neck brace (actually a sympathy brace) comes off after my court appearance.
post #11 of 16 Old 03-24-2012, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Latest news is they are having a inter jurisdiction meeting this week and the Secret Service is now handleing the case since his crimes crossed many state lines and the dollar amouts involved.

Life is Good!
post #12 of 16 Old 04-10-2013, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Update: I emailed the Detective to see what's been happening.

Funny you should be emailing me today. Agent Fultz contacted me yesterday to advise me that Sanders is being offered a plea deal of a minimum 20 years to serve. Florida is trying to get all the surrounding agencies to agree to this deal so the cases can be closed at the different agencies and a guilty verdicts rendered. Once, and if, all the agencies agree, the deal will be presented to he and his Attorney, at which time he would be crazy not to take. Should he refuse, all agencies will have their shot at him and he could end up with a lot longer term. He is still incarcerated and will not be getting out before his trial or plea so I think its fair to say he will be away for awhile.

Life is Good!
post #13 of 16 Old 04-10-2013, 01:41 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,146
KKRace, I hate stealers, I don't see the point of stealing. Glad the rat was caught.

Quote:
I talked with Det. Marrioti today. He said the guys in the paddock worked him over pretty good before they called the cops.
LOL

My Flickr Account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Take pictures for fun
post #14 of 16 Old 04-10-2013, 02:05 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKRace View Post
Update: I emailed the Detective to see what's been happening.

Funny you should be emailing me today. Agent Fultz contacted me yesterday to advise me that Sanders is being offered a plea deal of a minimum 20 years to serve. Florida is trying to get all the surrounding agencies to agree to this deal so the cases can be closed at the different agencies and a guilty verdicts rendered. Once, and if, all the agencies agree, the deal will be presented to he and his Attorney, at which time he would be crazy not to take. Should he refuse, all agencies will have their shot at him and he could end up with a lot longer term. He is still incarcerated and will not be getting out before his trial or plea so I think its fair to say he will be away for awhile.

Um, I like this insider stuff, but the guy now may have cause for an even better deal that you exposed inner workings to the internet before finalization.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #15 of 16 Old 04-12-2013, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granucci View Post
Um, I like this insider stuff, but the guy now may have cause for an even better deal that you exposed inner workings to the internet before finalization.
I did pause a bit before posting this but I figured since he was telling me it wasn't a big secret? He could always turn the deal down and take his chances going to court in multiple states on hundreds of charges since he went all over the country doing this.

I did ask for the guys mailing address in jail so I could send postcards anythime I'm doing something fun and the Det sent it to me and said "that sounds like fun"

Life is Good!
post #16 of 16 Old 04-12-2013, 10:27 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKRace View Post
I did pause a bit before posting this but I figured since he was telling me it wasn't a big secret? He could always turn the deal down and take his chances going to court in multiple states on hundreds of charges since he went all over the country doing this.

I did ask for the guys mailing address in jail so I could send postcards anythime I'm doing something fun and the Det sent it to me and said "that sounds like fun"
Post of pic of you driving his car then launching it...... off a pier!

Current: 85' GTS QV
It's a simple process...... it's just complicated by human beings....

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode