Ferrari Life

Ferrari Life (https://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/)
-   Driver's Lounge (https://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/drivers-lounge/)
-   -   the frustration of collector cars......beware Qvale Mangusta #230 is a repaint (https://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/drivers-lounge/16730-frustration-collector-cars-beware.html)

fl81turbozx 03-05-2012 07:47 PM

the frustration of collector cars......beware Qvale Mangusta #230 is a repaint

So what does this have to do with ferrarilife.com

Some of ya'll know me as someone who has owned several very interesting and collectible zcars. From the 1 of 3 Black and Silver 81 ZXT to the ASC 300zx Spyder. Unfortunately, my "addiction" doesn't always land me in the spotlight. Matter of fact, more often than not, I take wonderful trips across the country only to come back empty handed.

My latest quest led me to a "mint" 2001 Qvale Mangusta. Unfortunately, by the owner's definition, I guess "mint" includes a car that has had a subpar repaint, including overspay in several key areas (door bolts, handles and trim) and fish eyes in the paint, most notable on the driver side of the top. Also, the leather is cracked, and there is something loose in the dash, possibly from the speedometer bezel being removed and replaced.

Well, now, if a potential buyer does a search on Qvale Mangusta #230 as I did, they may save the hassle of flying across the country or avoid the disappointment of buying this "mint" car sight unseen. Maybe they will land here and ferrarilife.com, and realize they should just go ahead and buy a Ferrari (or my favorite a Maserati, sorry), who knows.

I know there are more appropriate forums (Mangusta forum is closed), and I will post there as well.

GOOD NEWS OF THE STORY: Wound up in Vegas with an extra day to kill, so got the opportunity to take a last minute registration in the Exotic Racing School at the Las Motor Speedway.

Oh, the car in question is now on ebay. It is well worth the current bid of $1.25, but not much more.

Other Makes Other Makes | eBay

:thumbsdown:

355dreamer 03-06-2012 04:46 AM

How would any of us know you; it's your first post?

fl81turbozx 03-06-2012 05:25 AM

sorry, ferrari club members in florida that attend the festivals of speed. I think I have another memeber name on here, but can't remember.

main point is to keep someone else from wasting their time with this car.

thanks

wetpet 03-06-2012 05:31 AM

1280 Attachment(s)
Thank you for introducing a car i have never heard of. Doesn't happen often. You seem to mainly complain about the paint. Wouldn't this be fairly easy to fix if you really wanted the car? Any other problems with the car? seems a pretty rare bird. not my cup of tea at all though.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Fiorano 03-06-2012 05:40 AM

Interesting car. Something of a Fiat Barchetta and Alfa Spider offspring look about it. Gotta agree with Wetpet though. Not my cup of tea either.

BTW welcome to F-Life fl81tubrozx

maytag 03-06-2012 10:48 AM

so, way back in the day, when the Qvale was new, I went and test-drove one. They were marketed poorly, as most people looking for an "exotic" could probably give a s*^t about this being a "Ford motor so parts are readily available".
They wanted way too much for them, and my then-recent 5.0 Ford Mustang convert would kick it's a**.
But it was cool in a "nobody else has one" sort of way. I like that.

in my opinion, the so-called "ground-breaking design" hasn't aged well. I look at it now and wonder what the H^*L I was thinking? :yikes:

Money would be better spent on a 20 year older version of the same thing: the DeTomaso Pantera.

fl81turbozx 03-06-2012 12:23 PM

Kinda of wierd I agree, but I like Saabs too, so I guess its my thing.

Here is the coolest part, designed by Gandini (Countach, Muira, Diablo) now look at the rear wheel arch and the rear wheel arches of the others, especially the Countach. Bit of a trademark by a famous designer.

Granucci 03-06-2012 12:26 PM

I remember that car. Local family IIRC heavy into car biz decides to create their own 'exotic'....never got sales above the first limited release. Not bad for what it was, but not in the class of Ferrari.