Helmet Specifications For Racetrack - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 03-05-2012, 07:07 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 76
Helmet Specifications For Racetrack

Ladies and Gentlemen

Please help me with a technical question about helmet specifications.
Here in America, we have two types of helmet certification: M-ratings apply to motorcycle helmets, and SA-ratings apply to car helmets. My interest is in the SA helmets.
The Snell rating refers to the fire and impact protection provided by the helmet and is updated every five years. The latest rating is Snell 2010; the next will be in 2015.
The Ferrari Club of America, as well as other car clubs, rely on the Snell ratings in our requirements for driver safety at our track events. Drivers currently must wear helmets with either the current (2010) or previous (2005) Snell rating. Snell 2000 helmets are no longer allowed at Ferrari Club events. All helmets must be of the SA variety.
The Ferrari Club of America 2013 National Meet will require Snell 2005 (or 2010) rated helmets for the track sessions (except for lunch time touring, for which no helmets are required).
Having been told that there already is some interest expressed by our international Ferrari friends about attending the 2013 National event, I ask you all to tell me what helmet rating systems you use for your track events. Obviously, I would be happy to hear that you all use the Snell ratings. Otherwise, please let me know what ratings apply to helmets in your areas and how such ratings correlate to our Snell ratings.
As I shall be involved in the track activities at FCA 2013, I do not want anyone to lose track time (especially since Road America will be the track venue!) over proper helmet certification. Therefore, please excuse my ignorance in this matter and enlighten me with your responses. I hope that Ferraristi respond from around the globe, as there are single cars and significant collections all over the planet (our first, a 1988 Testarossa, is now in Australia).
We in America require closed-face (visor) helmets for open cockpits (eg, 333SP); roofed vehicles (eg, F-40) can be piloted with open-faced (no visor) helmets. I personally prefer my wife use her closed-face helmet even in a roofed vehicle, but that is just my preference.
Apologies for taking so much verbiage to post this request for your input; gratitude for your replies and interest.

Dan Harrison
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-05-2012, 12:27 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Harrison View Post
Ladies and Gentlemen

Please help me with a technical question about helmet specifications.
Here in America, we have two types of helmet certification: M-ratings apply to motorcycle helmets, and SA-ratings apply to car helmets. My interest is in the SA helmets.
The Snell rating refers to the fire and impact protection provided by the helmet and is updated every five years. The latest rating is Snell 2010; the next will be in 2015.
The Ferrari Club of America, as well as other car clubs, rely on the Snell ratings in our requirements for driver safety at our track events. Drivers currently must wear helmets with either the current (2010) or previous (2005) Snell rating. Snell 2000 helmets are no longer allowed at Ferrari Club events. All helmets must be of the SA variety.
The Ferrari Club of America 2013 National Meet will require Snell 2005 (or 2010) rated helmets for the track sessions (except for lunch time touring, for which no helmets are required).
Having been told that there already is some interest expressed by our international Ferrari friends about attending the 2013 National event, I ask you all to tell me what helmet rating systems you use for your track events. Obviously, I would be happy to hear that you all use the Snell ratings. Otherwise, please let me know what ratings apply to helmets in your areas and how such ratings correlate to our Snell ratings.
As I shall be involved in the track activities at FCA 2013, I do not want anyone to lose track time (especially since Road America will be the track venue!) over proper helmet certification. Therefore, please excuse my ignorance in this matter and enlighten me with your responses. I hope that Ferraristi respond from around the globe, as there are single cars and significant collections all over the planet (our first, a 1988 Testarossa, is now in Australia).
We in America require closed-face (visor) helmets for open cockpits (eg, 333SP); roofed vehicles (eg, F-40) can be piloted with open-faced (no visor) helmets. I personally prefer my wife use her closed-face helmet even in a roofed vehicle, but that is just my preference.
Apologies for taking so much verbiage to post this request for your input; gratitude for your replies and interest.

Dan Harrison
Dan, Suggest you contact Anthony Cheshire at [email protected] / f.f. Corse - Home for guidance regarding European helmet regulations.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-05-2012, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Thanks, Boxer. Sent an e-mail to him.
Any and all comments appreciated.

Dan Harrison

post #4 of 6 Old 03-09-2012, 11:10 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 68
I don't recommend a motorcycle helmet for cars.
You also need to select a helmet that is designed for use in cabin vs say open wheeled
helmets. The construction is slightly different in terms of the eye port sizing. There are a number of good brands, but I recommend you try on a few helmets if at all possible. Those that fit you best and not to go cheap on a helmet.

Firms I trust, Arai, Stand21, Schuberth, Bell, and Stilo Helmets. Some of these come from the factory Hans Divice ready. Which if you are going racing it is a good thing to have.

Good luck!
post #5 of 6 Old 03-10-2012, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Micky

Absolutely agree. Those who seem to know such have told me that motorcycle ("M") helmets have less fire and impact protection than car ("SA") helmets. Hence, the Ferrari Club and our tracks require SA helmets.
Being taller than average, my head is high enough in the 333SP that I need aero effects on my helmet. Currently, I use an Arai (2005) with their stick-on aero pieces. My 2000 Bell helmet did not have an aero kit, so I'd slouch a bit to avoid the airflow trying to lift my head off my neck at speed. I'm happy with the Arai, but the 2010 Bells have aero kits available.
SA helmets with a Snell rating of 2005 or 2010 will be required headgear for the 2013 Ferrari Club Of America National Meet July30-Aug4, 2013 at Road America where the three longest straights will see folks between 150 and 200mph (yes, some of my betters may be passing 200mph).
What I need to know from my fellow Ferraristi outside the United States
is whether your helmets have the same car (SA) and Snell ratings as we use OR if you have some other system(s).
Hopefully, you will be telling me that you use the same ratings, but I would appreciate your input to tell me what ratings you use.
Please stay at or below redline in all forward gears.
Best to all and thanks.

Dan Harrison
post #6 of 6 Old 03-11-2012, 03:00 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 68
Dan, I shot you a PM.
Cheers,
Micky

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode