Ferrari Life posts going on Facebook - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 Old 02-07-2012, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Ferrari Life posts going on Facebook

I am seeing some posts from here appearing on facebook.

Is there a reason some show up and some don't?

Anyone else think that some areas should be in members only - such as politics and perhaps a few others?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 02-07-2012, 05:42 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by champagne612 View Post

Anyone else think that some areas should be in members only - such as politics and perhaps a few others?

Have not seen any FLife info on FB yet... Guess I'll start looking for it... Membership does have it's privleges and there probably should be some benifits for those that step up and pay for a membership...
post #3 of 35 Old 02-07-2012, 06:48 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
Facebook?

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.

post #4 of 35 Old 02-07-2012, 06:53 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,990
Welcome to Facebook - Log In, Sign Up or Learn More

The above link says welcome, log in.....etc...but if you have a FB account, it brings you there....

~

Mario

1990 348 TS (87284)

“I build cars for young men that only old men can afford” - Enzo Ferrari

Last edited by Magnum6464; 02-07-2012 at 07:05 PM.
post #5 of 35 Old 02-07-2012, 06:58 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
Mario- Um, no.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #6 of 35 Old 02-07-2012, 07:02 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Quote:

Doug, glad to here you are following us over there. That's my way of ensuring you come back and get off Facebook.

I think it would be overwhelming if all the content showed on Facebook, so once every 4 hours I grab a few and pull them into Facebook.

Agree with Taz, I don't use Facebook personally, just have it to manage a few pages.
post #7 of 35 Old 02-07-2012, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Doug, glad to here you are following us over there. That's my way of ensuring you come back and get off Facebook.

I think it would be overwhelming if all the content showed on Facebook, so once every 4 hours I grab a few and pull them into Facebook.

Agree with Taz, I don't use Facebook personally, just have it to manage a few pages.
Gotcha - had no idea how they were randomly picked up. I started a St Louis cars and coffee fb page with a few other guys here.

If you don't mind I will give it a whirl and see if we can bring em over here - believe it's over 160 members.

Terry you aren't missing a thing - accept Jim Glikenhaus posting his latest and greatest.
post #8 of 35 Old 02-07-2012, 10:23 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
Quote:

Andrew, I've sended you a PM.

Dear friends

I do not understand too much about public platforms, computer technics and the "stated safety" and REAL safety of public platform users. But I want to be honest and tell you that the fact that every 4 hours "randomly"(?) threads from F-Life are going to be "transfered" to facebook is worrying me.
I have nothing against facebook or any big community, although personally this F-Life is the only forum I'm a member and active and I have never used facebook so far.

The worrying factor is that on F-Life, I personally decide to be active here and only here, however if someone else is deciding "for me" where else my posts are made public then its out of my hands.
Yes, everybody will rightly correct me saying: "As soon as you write threads anywhere its anyway public potentially anywhere"!

I accept.

However, as we also add photographs, sometimes with a family member, sometimes with a readable numbers plate of a car on it, its hard to imagine (as errors always occur, always!) having some personal indication on the biggest public platform in the world instead of "only" F-Life, where the visitors are mainly enthusiasts looking for informations instead of personal details. The approach of different users on different platform ARE very different indeed.

I could/would understand any business based desire to "catapult" F-Life to a much broader level platform however then I would expect a much bigger "asymetric" development, because possible readers would grow potentially 10'000fold and the contributors would stay the same, but confronted with much the equivalent more risen risks, decided by somebody else.

That said, I'm happy to have a vivid discussion and I'm happy to learn and be open to all your thoughts on this, especially also to those of Andrew and whoever "runs" our wonderful forum.

Thanks.

Present: 365 GTB/4, Scud
Past: 250 GTE, 250 PF (2), 275 GTBsn, 330 GTC, 456GT, 550, 360Stradale, 430Scuderia, F40, F50
post #9 of 35 Old 02-07-2012, 10:44 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Anyone have a Mac with the touch mouse? Just lost my entire post because it thought I wanted to go back a page. Annoying!

The short version now. I fully understand where 212 is coming from. I'm happy to pull the page down.

Please have a look at the page (no account required) first. Ferrari Life | Facebook

Only public posts are being displayed and it's just a link to this site. It is very similar to a Google search result. Just like the users of this site, people have to seek out that page to follow the content. It is not automatically shared with the entire Facebook user base. To understand what is public, view Ferrari Life logged out. Elite Members area is both private and paid. A few off-topic areas as well.

I also want to respond directly to: "understand any business based desire to "catapult" F-Life to a much broader level platform"

We have seen double digit growth this past year and have proven we can maintain the tight friendly community we've always had. This will always be our goal and we do not want to go to a broader level. Adding a small feed to Facebook was simply meant to be an added benefit, for which it seems Doug was/is using.
post #10 of 35 Old 02-07-2012, 11:38 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,112
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurby69 View Post
... Membership does have it's privileges and there probably should be some benefits for those that step up and pay for a membership...
Agreed, I pay membership to be on Flife not FB.

I am not on FB for a reason, I certainly do not want to be on FB in any way shape or form including just my posts.

Sorry Andrew I do not like this

Night life........ain't a good life........but it's my life -- Willy Nelson
post #11 of 35 Old 02-07-2012, 11:39 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Quote:
I think we jumped strait to the Facebook question and missed this. We could indeed make a few more sections private if that's the general consensus. Politics could be a candidate. I also think we could mirror a few sections. For example having a photo area where we already do, and having a section in the paid area.

Just an update for the FB topic, I am only linking to this forum. Meaning full content is not posted on Facebook, only a short blurb and link to the thread in the forum:
Ferrari Discussion - Ferrari Life
post #12 of 35 Old 02-07-2012, 11:54 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Life View Post
Agreed, I pay membership to be on Flife not FB.

I am not on FB for a reason, I certainly do not want to be on FB in any way shape or form including just my posts.

Sorry Andrew I do not like this
I can see this isn't a good idea as there is too much confusion as to what's really happening. I've removed the feed permanently.

Going forward the page will only be used for what I've been using it for in the past 6 months (and 2 years prior when it was a "group"): site updates, or to LINK to really interesting content.

No ones username, or any private information or posts have been shared with Facebook or saved on the Facebook platform.

Anyone can view at anytime the page if they have doubts. My PM box is also open to anyone wishing to discuss. Here is the page one last time:
Ferrari Life | Facebook
post #13 of 35 Old 02-08-2012, 12:29 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
As Andrew said, only information was shared on the FB page that was already accessible to people without a membership account. So I do not have a problem with it.

Anyway, that's all moot now as the link has been closed down.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Future: No idea
Present: 458 Italia, 550 Maranello
Past: 365BB x 2,
330GTC
post #14 of 35 Old 02-08-2012, 04:23 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
post #15 of 35 Old 02-08-2012, 04:38 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetpet View Post
i have no preference either way.
We figured that out a long time ago!!

------------------------------

Life is Good!
post #16 of 35 Old 02-08-2012, 04:52 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetpet View Post
i have no preference either way.
Your sailing partner confirmed.
post #17 of 35 Old 02-08-2012, 05:13 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
I can see this isn't a good idea as there is too much confusion as to what's really happening. I've removed the feed permanently.

Going forward the page will only be used for what I've been using it for in the past 6 months (and 2 years prior when it was a "group"): site updates, or to LINK to really interesting content.

No ones username, or any private information or posts have been shared with Facebook or saved on the Facebook platform.

Anyone can view at anytime the page if they have doubts. My PM box is also open to anyone wishing to discuss. Here is the page one last time:
Ferrari Life | Facebook
Andrew

You do a wonderful job here for many reasons - the handling of this is among the many.

The second part is I and others would share more information about one another if there was a owners section and a few more sections were not made public.

I have received e-mails that people would participate here if there were more private sections.

Apologies as I am not a fan of pm's that would IMO limit my thoughts among so many friends.

Very pleased to hear that the place is growing and I don't want to tread negatively on what you and the other members have built.

I hope you keep the fb page open and let people post unrelated to here - it's certainly a strong marketing tool x 1400
post #18 of 35 Old 02-08-2012, 05:27 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,094
Talking about fb I googled a1exander

http://www.google.co.za/search?aq=f&...-8&q=a1exander

last search item.
I am famous
post #19 of 35 Old 02-08-2012, 11:18 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,112
Garage
Quote:
Andrew

You do a wonderful job here for many reasons - the handling of this is among the many.

+ 1000

Andrew I hope you were not disgruntled by my comments, I am only one in a house on many.

But thank you for addressing the issue

Night life........ain't a good life........but it's my life -- Willy Nelson
post #20 of 35 Old 02-09-2012, 03:56 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,875
Not to offend anyone but you guys act like just because you post content here it is guaranteed to stay here... Anyone can grab that content and post it elsewhere. Especially in the public sections of this site.

Don't see a big deal with linking to facebook. An F-life link on there is certainly better than some of the content I see there now. Would I use it? Maybe maybe not. My facebook use isn't driven by the need to use all of its features. I tend to look at it as a directory of sorts.

As for more private forums on here.... I'm not sure that's a good idea. I like the site's open door policy... I like the comraderie it promotes and I like that there isn't an elitist tone in the membership. Most of us own Ferraris or some sort of exotic car isn't that exclusive enough?

Having said that, I think Andrew is simply trying to grow the site by giving it exposure to a broader audience. Bravo!

Current: 85' GTS QV
It's a simple process...... it's just complicated by human beings....

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode