Close encounters of the moustache kind - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 02-07-2012, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
Close encounters of the moustache kind

Funny thing happened to me yesterday.

I walked into the BA airport lounge at Gatwick, and I noticed that among the complimentary magazines there was a copy of Motorsport. Just one, the last one. That's a bit of good fortune, I thought! Great magazine, and this month's main feature is an interview with Patrick Head. The cover shows "Red 5", the FW14B in which Nigel Mansell became F1 world champion in 1992.

Some ladies were sitting opposite my table and I had some breakfast and read the newspaper. Then I take up the magazine and start reading the editorial. It starts with discussing Nigel Mansell. I notice in my peripheral vision that someone is looking at me. I didn't notice that he sat down where the ladies were sitting. To get a better look, I drop the magazine slightly and....

I stare straight into the moustached face of Nigel Mansell himself! He was clearly checking out the cover of the magazine to see why his car was on there.

I was so shocked by the reality of it all, I couldn't manage more than a polite nod. As I know he hates being famous, I didn't bother him any further and chuckled to myself at the odds. Later I shared a plane with him to Jersey - he lives here, and perhaps I will run into him again. It would be nice to tell him I appreciated his commitment and gritty racing style back in the day, for Ferrari as well as Williams. FWIW, Patrick Head, in his interview in the magazine, put him at the same level as Prost.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Future: No idea
Present: 458 Italia, 550 Maranello
Past: 365BB x 2,
330GTC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-07-2012, 03:21 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 171
I don't know what the odds are on that, but I'd say you should get a powerball ticket with luck like that.

Great story!

Life's too short to be unhappy!
post #3 of 6 Old 02-07-2012, 06:06 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 573
Great story!

Time to share my Mansell story...

Back in 1993, Nigel Mansell joined the Newman-Haas IndyCar team. I was on a project team writing custom data-acquisition analysis SW for them. A few of us were at the team HQ one day meeting with the engineers and also scoping out the team trailer to install an ethernet network. Well, one of our guys opens up Nigel's locker and proceeds to climb into his fire suit and dons his helmet for a quick picture. While he's standing there posing, Nigel's chief mechanic walks in looking for something...sees what is going on and quietly leaves.

Ok, so we are all shitting bricks at this point. It wasn't long before our 'boss' showed up and gave us a stern lecture and informed us that Nigel is very superstitious about his helmet and can tell when it has been worn by anybody else and will refuse to use it again. We were very lucky to not have been fired on the spot.

Later in the season, I did manage to get Nigel to sign my copy of The Sunday Times magazine that featured him on the cover in that fire suit while holding his helmet.

post #4 of 6 Old 02-07-2012, 06:23 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 590
That's an awesome story!

I probably would have crapped myself if I looked up and Mansell himself was sitting next to me lol. That's a once in a lifetime experience for sure!

Ciao Jules

Current Italian Bellas:
95 Alfa Romeo 164 LS, 1978 Fiat 124 Spider
Sometime in the Future: Red 308 GTS
post #5 of 6 Old 02-07-2012, 06:31 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Eggo View Post
Ok, so we are all shitting bricks at this point.
No doubt!

Did he actually notice that someone had worn it?

Ciao Jules

Current Italian Bellas:
95 Alfa Romeo 164 LS, 1978 Fiat 124 Spider
Sometime in the Future: Red 308 GTS
post #6 of 6 Old 02-07-2012, 06:35 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by RossoVeloce View Post
No doubt!

Did he actually notice that someone had worn it?
Never got the nerve to ask and it was never spoken of again.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode