crazy technology and work - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 02-04-2012, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 438
crazy technology and work

These guys built some cool little machines.

A Swarm of Nano Quadrotors - YouTube
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-04-2012, 12:00 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
Great algorithms for the formation flight. We actually worked on vehicles like those the size of a bumble-bee, even using the bumble-bee wing rotation motion.

Some great strides being made in miniaturization.

Sandia National Lab recently developed a precision guided round for the .50 caliber machine gun and sniper round. Has to take quite a few "g"s as it accelerates from 0 to 3000+ fps (~mach 3, SR-71 speed) in about two feet.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #3 of 8 Old 02-04-2012, 12:12 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Great algorithms for the formation flight. We actually worked on vehicles like those the size of a bumble-bee, even using the bumble-bee wing rotation motion.

Sandia National Lab recently developed a precision guided round for the .50 caliber machine gun and sniper round. Has to take quite a few "g"s as it accelerates from 0 to 3000+ fps (~mach 3, SR-71 speed) in about two feet.
That would have been something in my time in the Army....Don't know much about flying (I used to jump out of aircrafts for a living) but sure as hell know about bullits...would have made life a whole lot easier!

Jeroen

Italian bella's:
550 Maranello 7-2000 nero/nero
1974 Ducati 750 Yellow Sport
1974 Ducati 350 Desmo Yellow Sport
2010 Ducati Multistrada 1200S
(And a few Alfa Romeo's and Range Rovers)

Power is nothing without control

post #4 of 8 Old 02-04-2012, 01:07 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
ever wonder how movies like terminator can predict these things with such accuracy decades before we hear about them? Freaky.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #5 of 8 Old 02-04-2012, 01:45 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
Jeroen- I know quite a bit about flying and can happily say I have the same number of take-offs and landings. I have few friends who cannot say that, and all of them are at least an inch shorter than before they ejected from their F-111.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #6 of 8 Old 02-04-2012, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 438
Is that a black out situation?

Quote:
Jeroen- I know quite a bit about flying and can happily say I have the same number of take-offs and landings. I have few friends who cannot say that, and all of them are at least an inch shorter than before they ejected from their F-111.
Is that a black out situation? Seems like that would be alot of g forces at work. And congrats on the takeoff to landing ration, well done.
post #7 of 8 Old 02-04-2012, 03:28 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,127
Quote:
LOL...I know a few like the guys you mean...we thought they were so crazy we couldn't wait opening the door (at any altitude...) to get the hell out of there, day or night...
I think a congratulations to you is in order, Sir. In the Dutch Airforce the same number of take-offs as landings was worth quite a lot of booze at the end of a career.
Makes me think of a very good friend of mine who is about to get his last promotion (he's a Colonel in the Air Force and will be General somewhere soon). He used to command a bunch of Patriot missile units and one of them accidentally fired one whilst stationed in Israel during the Golf War. His ass was all over the news...didn't even get fired?! To me the Airforce guys have always been too trigger happy, be it on the ground or in the Air. no offense...
I've been on the ground many times showing them where to drop their fireworks praying they wouldn't have an off day...

Jeroen

Italian bella's:
550 Maranello 7-2000 nero/nero
1974 Ducati 750 Yellow Sport
1974 Ducati 350 Desmo Yellow Sport
2010 Ducati Multistrada 1200S
(And a few Alfa Romeo's and Range Rovers)

Power is nothing without control
post #8 of 8 Old 02-07-2012, 08:53 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 184
Quote:

55 seconds in, what appears to be 3D cams along the walls. Possible that the entire control system incl positioning is not on-board the coptors, but is based on a large, motion capture system?

What do you think Taz?

BG,

If you think you can't you wont, if you think you can, you will

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode