Importing Ferraris into Canada
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-16-2002, 01:46 AM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
nice links

Peter thanks for those links as well. I find this interesting as I've been looking into this. I wonder what the legal ramifications are for doing this. In the U.S. we have a very similar law. Here is what I read on Canada importation:
Quote:
VISITORS AND TOURISTS TO CANADA

Under Section 7(1)(b) of the Motor Vehicle Safety Act, a motor vehicle may be admitted temporarily into Canada without complying with the Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations if it is to be used exclusively by a person entering Canada as a visitor or a person passing through Canada to another country.
I know you can drive freely across our borders. Does this mean I could import a car through Canada and pass up the EPA and DOT. That would be awesome. I would also save on the 2.5% import tax and 450% bond. I had considered this before but dismissed it thinking they would not allow it since I'm not a citizen. But now I'm thinking I can bring it through Vancouver and pick it up. My brother lives in Portland OR (just a few hours drive). Hummm this would be great. BTW lets keep this hush, hush :wink: I don't want Uncle Sam over here knowing about this.
post #3 of 8 Old 07-16-2002, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 575
Re: nice links

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo250GTO
I know you can drive freely across our borders. Does this mean I could import a car through Canada and pass up the EPA and DOT. That would be awesome. I would also save on the 2.5% import tax and 450% bond. I had considered this before but dismissed it thinking they would not allow it since I'm not a citizen. But now I'm thinking I can bring it through Vancouver and pick it up. My brother lives in Portland OR (just a few hours drive). Hummm this would be great. BTW lets keep this hush, hush :wink: I don't want Uncle Sam over here knowing about this.
Andrew, this is done on a daily basis and can stir up controversy a few times (ie: Chrysler PT Cruiser. There were only a handful on Canadian lots when they first came out. Happening now with the Thunderbird). When I say controversy, not legally but more on the lines of "Hey, why can't I get one, why are you shipping them all to the States?!?". US dealers save BIG-TIME, Cdn cars retail 10-15% less than US MSRP, even with the exchange

I haven't looked into this specifically, but it is WAY EASIER to bring a Cdn car into the US, than the other way. Just Speedo changes I believe. We have higher impact bumpers than you do, plus bonus daytime-running lights (which I think is being legislated soon in the US?).

In other words, this isn't a big hush-hush thing. :wink:

What are you thinking of getting here in Vancouver?

post #4 of 8 Old 07-16-2002, 11:55 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

skyline gt-r

But what I want to know is if its legal for me to import a car into Canada under this stature and then just drive it across the border. I would not have to deal with the DOT, EPA, or customs that I normally would if I had it shipped to L.A. It seems like I would be breaking tons of laws somewhere. Would the people at the U.S. border even know what was going on? I'm not sure about the security there but I believe I could just show them a passport and be like, "Oh I'm returning from vaction." Problem is the car wouldn't have a U.S. plate or even a dealers plate so I'm guessing I'd be busted. However, I've been told there are some roads with no guards after a certain hour. I was thinking about some RHD cars. To get them here you have to crash test at least 3 because RHD is considered significantly different from LHD. A Skyline GT-R would be cool, or even some RHD European cars.
post #5 of 8 Old 07-17-2002, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Not really. If you read carefully, the rules state that cars 15 years old and older can be brought into Canada with no mods needed. Anything younger and it must meet our strict laws (so no Skylines or any other new car like that). And even then, I don't think it can be imported into the US, because I think you have a clause like ours, except the car must be older (I think 25 yrs old).

Basically, what is avaliable in the US, is what's here in Canada and if its in Canada, it can go to the US (and even then we are screwed in some ways, because we never got the F50 and a few other cars like the Toyota MR Spyder). Canadian cars can go to the US, since they have similar and recognised testing certification. A car like a Skyline has no similar certification and you couldn't dream of bringing one to Canada (needs stricter test than what you guys do).

From your post, the only way you could do that is if you're a diplomat (a citizen other than US or Cdn).
post #6 of 8 Old 07-17-2002, 12:13 AM
Administrator
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by '75 308 GT4 (Peter)
Not really. If you read carefully, the rules state that cars 15 years old and older can be brought into Canada with no mods needed. Anything younger and it must meet our strict laws (so no Skylines or any other new car like that). And even then, I don't think it can be imported into the US, because I think you have a clause like ours, except the car must be older (I think 25 yrs old).
All this is true but if you read my first post it says, that visitors, which I am because I'm not a citizen, may import cars to "a motor vehicle may be admitted temporarily into Canada without complying with the Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations if it is to be used exclusively by a person entering Canada as a visitor or a person passing through Canada to another country. " Yes we do have that rule and you are correct it has to be 25 years old. Actually you can import the Skyline but you have to pay MotoRex $25,000 to convert the bumpers, add a cat, and OBDII before it will pass all our regulations. I should read it more closely. I'm sure this just a loop hole I wished existed.
post #7 of 8 Old 07-17-2002, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Dude, now you're getting serious. You're interpretation of this law may be different than the Judge's

I think it would be a simple: "No".

You are a US citizen and yes, you are a visitor. But you're really not passing through Canada into another country. In other words, say Dirk ships his car here to Vancouver and visits me, then he decides to drive down to Kentucky to visit you. He then decides to visit Mexico for some sun-tanning. He can do this, no problem.

But you on the other hand are NOT passing THROUGH Canada into another country (a country other than Canada). You're just making a U-Turn :wink:

About the Skyline: Sure you can add that stuff, but would you do it at that cost, just for one car? Too much to justify it and you'd never see that money again during resale. That company in CA. took the bite and did it, but now with their certification, they can subsidise the conversion cost over many cars and viola, a legit business and car. I'd say you are far better off than we are...
post #8 of 8 Old 07-17-2002, 12:36 AM
Administrator
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by '75 308 GT4 (Peter)
You are a US citizen and yes, you are a visitor. But you're really not passing through Canada into another country. In other words, say Dirk ships his car here to Vancouver and visits me, then he decides to drive down to Kentucky to visit you. He then decides to visit Mexico for some sun-tanning. He can do this, no problem.

But you on the other hand are NOT passing THROUGH Canada into another country (a country other than Canada). You're just making a U-Turn :wink:

About the Skyline: Sure you can add that stuff, but would you do it at that cost, just for one car? Too much to justify it and you'd never see that money again during resale. That company in CA. took the bite and did it, but now with their certification, they can subsidise the conversion cost over many cars and viola, a legit business and car. I'd say you are far better off than we are...
This has been a fun topic. I'm going to split it and add these post to a new topic called importings. First I'm not in anyway serious about this. What I was wondering when I read that was if a U.S. citizen could use the Canadian law to get illegal cars in. You know pick it up in Canada and say oh I'm just driving the car from here to Mexico or any country in that area. But what really happens is you drive home to the U.S. and hide the thing in your garage. I'm sure there is some paper work and laws that keep this from happening. But maybe not? Once I'm out of Canada do they come looking for the me? But I see what you mean. Its intended to allow a temporary driving over here. If I brought any car over after X number of days they are probably going to want to know if I'm in Canada with an illegal car. It was just a thought. ha:

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode