DVD and VHS treasures? - Ferrari Life
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 08-06-2011, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
 
dpironi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: At my Apple IIc
Ferrari Life Posts: 38
DVD and VHS treasures?

The demise of video rental seems to have encouraged people to build up a large collection of titles, but which ones do you particularly cherish? The Gumball Rally isn't as good as The Cannonball Run, but I like seeing Raul Julia drive that Daytona!

The Gumball Rally





Seven Nights In Japan

Hidemi Aoki
dpironi is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 Old 08-12-2011, 12:41 AM
Owner
 
Night Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Regina, Canada
Ferrari Life Posts: 2,112
Garage
Yep I own them both, Classics plus Cannon Ball Run II also original Cannon Ball Movie Starring David Carradine, Mother Jugs and Speed Smokey & the Bandit I II & III, Original Death Race 2000, Faster Pussy Cat etc....

I now own over 800 DVD/BR and over 500 VHS movies, I need help.

Night life........ain't a good life........but it's my life -- Willy Nelson
Night Life is offline  
post #3 of 17 Old 08-16-2011, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
 
dpironi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: At my Apple IIc
Ferrari Life Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Life View Post
Yep I own them both, Classics plus Cannon Ball Run II also original Cannon Ball Movie Starring David Carradine, Mother Jugs and Speed Smokey & the Bandit I II & III, Original Death Race 2000, Faster Pussy Cat etc....

I now own over 800 DVD/BR and over 500 VHS movies, I need help.
For those that don't know I should say Mother (Bill Cosby) Jugs (Raquel Welch) & Speed (Harvey Keitel) was a 1976 comedy about an unorthodox ambulance service. The last time I saw that Reagan was in power!

Ahh Charlie, you aren't exactly winning now, are you? Lol.

dpironi is offline  
 
post #4 of 17 Old 08-17-2011, 12:29 AM
Owner
 
Night Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Regina, Canada
Ferrari Life Posts: 2,112
Garage
Ooooooh the Wraith I don't have that one, I loved that car could not figure out what it was until I caught a glimpse of the Chrysler emblem then I lost interest real fast.

One that I do own is another Charlie Sheen classic and a personal favorite "No Mans Land" feature Sheen stealing nothing but Porsche's. There is a scene where he has a chance to steal a Ferrari 512 BB and he calls it Italian Trash ha ha ha

Here is a scene of Sheen stealing a carbon copy of the Porsche I owned.

No Man's Land... Porsche 911 Chase Scene - YouTube

Night life........ain't a good life........but it's my life -- Willy Nelson
Night Life is offline  
post #5 of 17 Old 08-29-2011, 02:01 AM
Owner
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Ferrari Life Posts: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Life View Post

I now own over 800 DVD/BR and over 500 VHS movies, I need help.

I own over 5000 VHS and 2400 dvd/blu-ray. Do I need help??





PDG
GrayTA is offline  
post #6 of 17 Old 08-29-2011, 02:06 AM
Owner
 
Night Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Regina, Canada
Ferrari Life Posts: 2,112
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayTA View Post
I own over 5000 VHS and 2400 dvd/blu-ray. Do I need help??





PDG
Nope your a lost cause

Jesus H man thats awesome

Of course I'm not counting Pornos

Night life........ain't a good life........but it's my life -- Willy Nelson
Night Life is offline  
post #7 of 17 Old 09-21-2011, 03:43 AM Thread Starter
 
dpironi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: At my Apple IIc
Ferrari Life Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Life View Post
Ooooooh the Wraith I don't have that one, I loved that car could not figure out what it was until I caught a glimpse of the Chrysler emblem then I lost interest real fast.

One that I do own is another Charlie Sheen classic and a personal favorite "No Mans Land" feature Sheen stealing nothing but Porsche's. There is a scene where he has a chance to steal a Ferrari 512 BB and he calls it Italian Trash ha ha ha

Here is a scene of Sheen stealing a carbon copy of the Porsche I owned.

No Man's Land... Porsche 911 Chase Scene - YouTube
Some little known trivia. Back in 1976 there was a popular movie Grizzly, which was like Jaws in the woods. In 1983 a sequel Grizzly II was made starring a young George Clooney and Charlie Sheen, but the film has never been released. By the time both actors became well known (for Facts of Life and Wall Street respectively), it was too late to release Grizzly II, so on the shelf it continues to sit.
dpironi is offline  
post #8 of 17 Old 09-29-2011, 02:37 AM
Owner
 
Night Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Regina, Canada
Ferrari Life Posts: 2,112
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpironi View Post
Some little known trivia. Back in 1976 there was a popular movie Grizzly, which was like Jaws in the woods. In 1983 a sequel Grizzly II was made starring a young George Clooney and Charlie Sheen, but the film has never been released. By the time both actors became well known (for Facts of Life and Wall Street respectively), it was too late to release Grizzly II, so on the shelf it continues to sit.
I remember Grizzly, it was very much like jaws lol. That Kodiak bear they used was huge, of course they made him even bigger on film. There was another movie around that time called "Prophecy" i believe, it was about a mutated animal from mercury in the water, it was half bear, half fish, half every other animal lol.

Prophecy 1979 - YouTube


Night life........ain't a good life........but it's my life -- Willy Nelson
Night Life is offline  
post #9 of 17 Old 01-20-2012, 01:18 AM Thread Starter
 
dpironi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: At my Apple IIc
Ferrari Life Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Life View Post
I remember Grizzly, it was very much like jaws lol. That Kodiak bear they used was huge, of course they made him even bigger on film. There was another movie around that time called "Prophecy" i believe, it was about a mutated animal from mercury in the water, it was half bear, half fish, half every other animal lol.

Prophecy 1979 - YouTube

I haven't thought about Prophecy since those times, lol. Piranha with Bradford Dillman (he was in the 1975 mutant cockroach movie Bug too) came out a year earlier, everyone got into those "creature features" after Jaws!

Anyone who has seen Grizzly might remember the unusually bright lighting? This was an early environmental plot, the Earth's ozone layer was supposed to have been damaged in the story.
dpironi is offline  
post #10 of 17 Old 05-20-2012, 05:20 AM Thread Starter
 
dpironi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: At my Apple IIc
Ferrari Life Posts: 38
In the '80s Stallone was synonymous with cheese, lol.





Bohemian Rhapsody

Garth's Mirthmobile
dpironi is offline  
post #11 of 17 Old 10-09-2012, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
 
dpironi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: At my Apple IIc
Ferrari Life Posts: 38
James Garner got back into movies after The Rockford Files, and Tank was one of them. Good action/comedy. Not as dated as Ferris Bueller, lol.


dpironi is offline  
post #12 of 17 Old 10-11-2012, 05:51 AM
 
koolaid117's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ohio
Ferrari Life Posts: 171


"hit paydirt with k dirt"

Life's too short to be unhappy!
koolaid117 is offline  
post #13 of 17 Old 06-12-2013, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
 
dpironi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: At my Apple IIc
Ferrari Life Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by koolaid117 View Post


"hit paydirt with k dirt"
I remember that, stand up comedian Dice Clay trying to break into movies back in 1990.

Debbie was a patriot!

Debbie Does Dallas-1978Trailer





Somehow softcore just doesn't feel right unless it's on VHS!
dpironi is offline  
post #14 of 17 Old 12-27-2013, 03:54 AM Thread Starter
 
dpironi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: At my Apple IIc
Ferrari Life Posts: 38
One really special gem is Used Cars (1980) starring Kurt Russell. Columbia made the mistake of releasing it too close to Flying High (Leslie Nielsen). Everyone went to see Flying High and overlooked Used Cars. The few people that did see it loved it!

Used Cars Trailer

Actually, Columbia was one of the few that released their movies on Beta.






Taiyo ni Hoero!
dpironi is offline  
post #15 of 17 Old 07-25-2014, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
 
dpironi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: At my Apple IIc
Ferrari Life Posts: 38
Not the best Bond movie, but had a great car chase.

Matador X





Matador Coupe in Bond Movie
dpironi is offline  
post #16 of 17 Old 07-27-2014, 04:00 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: DC
Ferrari Life Posts: 421
Chrysler show car in The Wraith was/is killer...wish they made a few of them for the road.

LS
lashss is offline  
post #17 of 17 Old 11-02-2014, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
 
dpironi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: At my Apple IIc
Ferrari Life Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by lashss View Post
Chrysler show car in The Wraith was/is killer...wish they made a few of them for the road.

LS
If you looked close, the Pentastar was visible on the nose.

Having to line up a Subaru for the Porsche 928 to race in Risky Business (movie) was a pretty sad indication of the times! That, and the fact the 928 resembled a squashed Pacer, just went to show how good looking and sleek the T/A was.



Risky Business You Tube

Porsche 928

AMC Pacer
dpironi is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
Copyright 2012 ONE Media, Inc.
FerrariLife is independently run with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA
Ferrari for Sale | Maserati for Sale