Jason-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 07-15-2002, 08:56 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
chances it will still be around?

What are the chances it will still be around in the near future. I'm not a legal expert but I know that event pisses off a lot of law enforment and the government too I'm sure. Can a state or the Fed government attack the event? Do they still have the One Lap of America? I have a video clip from the Gumball 3000. What shocked me was the number of European cars brought for the event. I have since learned through research on importing a car that you can bring a car for 1 month or 60 days (I forget which) no questions ask. Just get it out before that or they crush it. Here is some useful info on the importing http://www.customs.ustreas.gov/imp-e...formal/car.htm
post #3 of 38 Old 07-16-2002, 12:45 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 575
Thanks for the link Andrew, I'll bookmark it. I'm familiar with Canada's laws concerning "foreign" cars and their admitance into the country, but I don't quite know how you guys do it.

About the race... No comment. I would think it would have a harder time in the future, as with so many youth doing street racing and the resultant crack-down with the police, they are like hawks watching every car (and take it from me, I'm young and have a Ferrari, so I know). Its getting harder and harder to drive fast, having a gut feeling there's a cop around every corner... At least that's what I feel

As far as I know, the One Lap still runs (and I think it just did not too long ago).

post #4 of 38 Old 07-16-2002, 12:58 AM
Administrator
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by '75 308 GT4 (Peter)
Thanks for the link Andrew, I'll bookmark it. I'm familiar with Canada's laws concerning "foreign" cars and their admitance into the country, but I don't quite know how you guys do it.

About the race... No comment. I would think it would have a harder time in the future, as with so many youth doing street racing and the resultant crack-down with the police, they are like hawks watching every car (and take it from me, I'm young and have a Ferrari, so I know). Its getting harder and harder to drive fast, having a gut feeling there's a cop around every corner... At least that's what I feel

As far as I know, the One Lap still runs (and I think it just did not too long ago).
I will try to post the video I have. Its unreal some of the footage. The guy has a police scanner with him to hear the cops. On the scanner you can hear cops saying "i'm following x at mile maker x...car traveling 130 and climbing cannot keep up with him." At one point there is a road block with 3 Ferraris a few Porsches. Even a F50 was in the video weaving in and out of traffic!
post #5 of 38 Old 07-16-2002, 10:11 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,082
I've seen vids from the last 3 years.
JUST COMPLETELY NUTS!!!
some of those poor cars, what they have to go thru
But if in one of the next years to start in europe and it's not to far then i'm there to see all those BEAUTY'S
post #6 of 38 Old 07-17-2002, 03:55 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 824
The Gumball 3000 was held from London, UK to St. Petersburg, Russia and back, so no wonder that a lot of European cars turned up. It is completely insane, driving 5 days without any sleep. The gang was not allowed to enter Britain again and a white 355 Spider has been destroyed. Some other got mugged. If you have cable, MTV (at least the European version) has some footage in the series 'Jackass' which show some seriously cool cars as well as some serious desturbed people

Niels
post #7 of 38 Old 07-18-2002, 02:40 AM

Niels
did you see that show of that british tv host (can't remember her name for the moment), that went along whit those guys and intervieuwing them.
She asked hey can i drive along with you, at the next stop she went to another car and so on.
One of those guys in a modena got a speeding ticket in germany for doing 230 km/h.
When the cops pulled him over he said in his defence: i thought that you could drive here as fast as you wanted. the cop replied: sure but not in the middle of roadworks.
Another guy with a modena got caught doing 285 km/h. he went to jail.
They even drove thru belgium. well not for long anyway
post #8 of 38 Old 07-18-2002, 11:26 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 824
Haven't seen it completely, but I think you mean Ruby Wax. They also did a bit of the Netherlands, with 100 km/h over the hard shoulder when there was a traffic jam. Totally crazy advanture!

Niels
post #9 of 38 Old 07-18-2002, 11:43 AM
Administrator
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 250lm
The Gumball 3000 was held from London, UK to St. Petersburg, Russia and back, so no wonder that a lot of European cars turned up. It is completely insane, driving 5 days without any sleep. The gang was not allowed to enter Britain again and a white 355 Spider has been destroyed. Some other got mugged. If you have cable, MTV (at least the European version) has some footage in the series 'Jackass' which show some seriously cool cars as well as some serious desturbed people

Niels
Maybe there is a knockoff in the U.S. called the Mischief 3000? I'll have to search for the link. If I cannot find it I will post the video on here. I was told it was a race from NY to the Playboy mansion in Beverly Hills.
post #10 of 38 Old 07-18-2002, 12:21 PM

Thanks Niels that's here Ruby Wax.

And Andrew, that was also Gumball.
Only the next year
the one in Europe was in 2000 or 2001 and the next one was from NY to LA 2001 or 2002
post #11 of 38 Old 07-23-2002, 02:17 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo250GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250lm

Niels
Maybe there is a knockoff in the U.S. called the Mischief 3000? I'll have to search for the link. If I cannot find it I will post the video on here. I was told it was a race from NY to the Playboy mansion in Beverly Hills.
no, it ws still called the gumball.the europena one was 1999, 2000 and 2001. Mischief 3000 is a DVD about the gumball. I dont want to ever be in that, the people in it are so stupid. The one lap of america is something i REALLY want to compete in. Whats better than driving to most of the good tracks in the US and racing there. I;ve met a competitor and seen his renntech CLK60, its amazing. go to www.onelapofamerica.com
post #12 of 38 Old 07-23-2002, 02:23 PM

WOW Tim, that's so cool
i didn't know this.
Can everybody just enter? (probably on the site, but i'm to lasy to check :green: )
post #13 of 38 Old 07-23-2002, 02:26 PM

yes, its expensive because its not unlikely the car wont break at all. You drive 5,200 miles to all the tracks then race there in a matter of 12 days, with not too much time to sleep. So its hard on you and your car.
post #14 of 38 Old 07-23-2002, 02:28 PM

That would defenitly be something for me
now i just need:
a really cool fast realiable too damn expensive car
a lot of money
and a crew that goes along to fix and setup the car for me
post #15 of 38 Old 07-23-2002, 02:30 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

one lap of america

I agree the One Lap is awesome because of the track stops but I would still compete in the Gumball 3000. The two are very different. In the One Lap doesn't times at tracks count? whereas in the Gumball 3000 its just who can get to point A to B without being caught.
post #16 of 38 Old 07-23-2002, 02:35 PM

The one lap awards points based on results at tracks for class and overall. The gumball rewards idiocy and stupidty with a little driving skill, the one lap rewards driving skill with a little idiocy and stupidity, imo
post #17 of 38 Old 08-20-2002, 10:26 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 25
I guess I'm in the minority, while I didn't participate in the Gumball, I find it interesting. I'll probably do the Pan American Rally instead only because the crowd won't be as crazy and you get more for your money.

But we'll see....
post #18 of 38 Old 08-21-2002, 10:50 AM

Tom

Iv i remember correctly you need an old car to participate
post #19 of 38 Old 08-21-2002, 06:45 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj Dirk
Tom

Iv i remember correctly you need an old car to participate
For the Pan American Rally? I don't think so...my understanding is that it's for any cool car, regardless of age/vintage.

I'll double check...
post #20 of 38 Old 08-22-2002, 08:20 AM

i could be wrong, maybe it's another one, i'm pretty sure that there's an old rally that came back a couple of years ago, but you need a classic car to participate

Perhaps it was the Targo Florio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode