And now for something boring.. new daily car ;) - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 Old 03-12-2011, 01:51 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
And now for something boring.. new daily car ;)

Now that I have found a place to live in Jersey (not easy as I am treated like an Albanian bar tender - without any housing qualifications, and I wanted a place with storage for the 365BB), I need to address the question of daily transport.

There is one dealership on this tiny island, which has a monopoly on everything nice. Bentley, Aston, Porsche, BMW.

Obviously, I want to drive something that can rival my other cars, but it needs to stand out in the rain 200 days a year so I want something reasonably reliable, practical, and fun. It will need to do the run to Holland reasonably often too, so a good GT is what I'm after. I'm thinking about max GBP60k without importing costs.

Since there is an official dealership for BMW, Porsche, Aston here, I'm thinking of finding a 2nd hand car in the UK and having them ship it over here. This gives me the ability to find the car with the specs I want.

I'm thinking:

1. Porsche 997 Carrera 2S, new version if possible
2. BMW M3.
3. Aston Martin V8 Vantage Roadster

I've also considered a second 550 Maranello and even a 308 but I wouldn't want to leave it outside all the time. I've discarded the Maserati Granturismo although I love it - the problem is the roads are very narrow here and the car is rather wide (as would be a 550 of course). The 3 options above are nice and compact.

For me, the Porsche is attractive because I love its looks and it's a sensible option. I've never owned a Porsche either so that appeals to me, to try it out. Jersey has lovely summers so the Aston will be great for those days but I do feel it is a bit of a hairdresser's (or city boy's) car, the same for the Boxster. The M3 is awesome but I already own a 335i in Holland so it's a bit of a trodden path.

Does anybody have any other suggestions?

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 03-12-2011, 02:26 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,196
Jersey Onno? You must be hiding from an ex-wife or the taxman. I can't think of another reason to live there!

Given the price of petrol in the UK, and the state of the roads, for a DD I'd probably be looking at something like a diesel A4 or possibly an A5 coupe?

The A4's are very maneuverable and can get in some tight places, and a scratch here & there or a door ding isn't going to break your heart like it would on the 550 or a Porsche, etc. But that's the purpose of a DD isn't it? Be functional, take some abuse, and not cost you an arm & a leg.

'99 550, Rosso Corsa / Nero, S/N:114654, Assy: 31836, Engine: 52084

High mileage, low compression, and missing on a few cylinders.....just like my cars.

Maranello Skunkworks Team Member
post #3 of 48 Old 03-12-2011, 04:45 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
Interesting car choice challange, Onno!

Compact, practical but still fun; I'd might try an engine tuned Cayman?? -Smaller than a 911, mid engined, quite reasonable luggage capacity and would probably go like stink if nicely tuned. Just a thought.

Otherwise the 911 is a great option for you. The tiltable rear "seats" provide a good luggage compartment when downfolded. It does lack individuality though. You need to make a statement as a newcomer!

An RS4 perhaps? Same problem as with the 911, it is also quite soul-less.

What I really would like to suggest to you Onno, is something which goes against many of your requirements but here it comes: Get yourself a proper Roller or a Bentl's. You will cruise with dignity on Jersey in one of those. Besides, It is time you take the step to the real gentleman's car! Once you've tried it there is no going back. I'm on my third Roller and it has become a part of me. When you've found your right Rolls/Bentley it grows attached to you like your favourite armchair and you never change, you just upkeep it. It is a British lounge on wheels.

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.

post #4 of 48 Old 03-12-2011, 05:29 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Thanks for your thoughts. I'm not hiding from any taxman, cribbj, the point is to pay tax in Jersey. And you don't need to find a reason to live there, I do. For some reason, people always seem to make vicious comments about Jersey (you're not the only one, I have been asked to defend my decision to go there several times even though it's only been a month since I made that decision). I wonder why. Perhaps you should take a look at what is not so good about where YOU live...

Prices of petrol do not concern me. I hate diesel. Always will.

RS4 is even more soulless than the 911, I agree Capo. I like the Cayman but it's a statement like "I can't afford a 911" which would be a lie. And ultimately the styling of the 911 is much better.

There is something appealing about your suggestion regarding Rolls' Capolino mio, but the only problem is that I would not want to be seen dead in one. I have an aversion against any Rolls or Bentley built after 1930. I just don't like their image, their concept, there is in fact only 1 thing that I like about them and that is their build quality. As for making a statement: I think my 365Boxer will make enough noise to let people know I've arrived.

I went to the dealership today. It was a bit busy so didn't talk to salespeople but there was a gorgeous M3 in the shop. Only downsides: 7-speed DCT, I want my cars to be manual. And it's a new car - buying those is against my principles. It's 58k GBP and would be about half that in 3 years' time. But it did look great in metallic black and cream/black leather interior.

The Carrera 2S still comes out top for me. More suggestions?

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #5 of 48 Old 03-12-2011, 05:57 AM
Owner

No problem!

If you don't want to be seen in a Roller you just taint the windows. I suggest you try one before last verdict? It's life changing. You wait and see my friend, you're just not quite ready yet.

What about a classic Alfa Romeo in mint condition? Or perhaps a classic SL?

A Morgan with hard top? Or an AC Cobra?

Salve,
Capo

post #6 of 48 Old 03-12-2011, 06:30 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Onno
I've a lovely Aston V8 Vantage that has to find a new home to make space for a 308 GTS. Special price for a fellow F - Life friend!!

Attached Images

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #7 of 48 Old 03-12-2011, 06:33 AM Thread Starter
Owner

OK, I'll bite. Tell me more, Barry. I hope it's a manual.

Onno

post #8 of 48 Old 03-12-2011, 06:38 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Capolino View Post
you're just not quite ready yet.
I know - I have a pulse.... OK - I didn't mean that, I'm just saying it is very unlikely I will ever go for a car like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Capolino View Post
What about a classic Alfa Romeo in mint condition? Or perhaps a classic SL?

A Morgan with hard top? Or an AC Cobra?
Lovely options, but not cars to leave outside in winter.... Some of them are not even options to DRIVE in winter....

One consideration which makes the boring 997 or M3 a good choice is that I will be travelling lots in the next few months and I don't want to be bothered with importing a car. So buying a local car, or having the importer source it and bring it in for me, would be best. That makes choices rather limited, I think.

Onno

post #9 of 48 Old 03-12-2011, 06:44 AM Thread Starter
Owner

This would be a nice Bentley daily driver, but they're a little on the expensive side these days....

Onno

Attached Images

post #10 of 48 Old 03-12-2011, 06:54 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post
OK, I'll bite. Tell me more, Barry. I hope it's a manual.

Onno

Of course its a manual Onno!! It's a 2006 model, 41K miles, originally a UK car, imported to Ireland in 2008 I think. I purchased in summer 2009 and have put the last 12K miles on the clock. Serviced 300 miles ago. Cream leather, sat nav, upgraded sound sytem, etc etc. Has been driven very little over last 6 months, currently resides in the garage beside the 360, but it's time for me to enter the classic Ferrari world and the space the Aston takes (not to mention it's value) has to make way for that.

Incidently I used it as a daily driver from summer 09 to autumn 10 and it lived outdoors on the drive way. If you are considering an AMV8 they do make a good DD, plus I never had a days problem with it (though was warned off Astons by multiple people before I bought it!)

The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #11 of 48 Old 03-12-2011, 07:00 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,196
Quote:
Perhaps you should take a look at what is not so good about where YOU live...
Onno, I hope you understand I was only jesting, even though I forgot the smiley last time. Jersey does seem to be a magnet for verbal abuse, and I don't know why.

And yes, there's plenty NOT to like about where I live (Houston), but I have a wife who refuses to move.

'99 550, Rosso Corsa / Nero, S/N:114654, Assy: 31836, Engine: 52084

High mileage, low compression, and missing on a few cylinders.....just like my cars.

Maranello Skunkworks Team Member
post #12 of 48 Old 03-12-2011, 08:54 AM
Owner

Quote:
This would be a nice Bentley daily driver, but they're a little on the expensive side these days....

Onno
That's even better than what I was suggesting! It shouldn't be too far on the expensive side since it's not a Blower-Bentl's but you might have a point regarding daily driving...

Sorry for not thinking of Barry's Aston, it should make a lovely dd for you! The Aston is a much more charming choice than the 911. I've never driven one but I would absolutely compare it to the 911 if I where in your situation.

Salve,
Capo

post #13 of 48 Old 03-12-2011, 02:01 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
You should be able to get a higher mileage 360 for the mid GBP 30k. Buy one that has been driven and well maintained and it should fit your brief perfectly.
post #14 of 48 Old 03-12-2011, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Yes, that is of course also an option, Boxer. I'm a little more worried about servicing it, though.

Onno

Interestingly, the F430 is not far over my initial budget.... There are quite a few manuals for sale, both 360's and F430's....

Last edited by JazzyO; 03-12-2011 at 11:24 PM.
post #15 of 48 Old 03-12-2011, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cribbj View Post
Onno, I hope you understand I was only jesting
No, that wasn't evident. So we're all good.

Onno

post #16 of 48 Old 03-12-2011, 11:50 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Yes, that is of course also an option, Boxer. I'm a little more worried about servicing it, though.

Onno

Interestingly, the F430 is not far over my initial budget.... There are quite a few manuals for sale, both 360's and F430's....
You should be able to pick up a manual 2005 430 Spider for just under GBP 60k. This one is about to be put up for trade sale:

FERRARI F430 - 4.3 V8 Spider 2dr Manual 6 Speed
0505 MILEAGE: 30,008 Miles 5 owners Red

Distance: 70 miles
Full franchise service history UK Car
Additional comments: CREAM LEATHER.PRIVATE PLATE READY FOR RETAIL PX BLACK AUDI R8 -- 2 keys available

Highlight this advert
PRICE:
Please bid me
CAR STATUS:
Car due in AT WEEKEND V5 available
Claire Lewis or Phil Lewis
DEALER:
CPL UK Enterprise Ltd
DEALER TYPE:
Independent Car Dealer, Nottinghamshire

TEL: 0115 9875442 MOB: 07508208869

post #17 of 48 Old 03-13-2011, 12:01 AM
Owner

Quote:
A 612 Scaglietti might be in the budget too Onno?

post #18 of 48 Old 03-13-2011, 03:00 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
A 612 Scaglietti might be in the budget too Onno?
I've driven some roads around my place now, and blimey sometimes it's 2 metres wide and it's not a one-way street! There are hedges and walls everywhere and hardly any sidewalks.

I think for this reason I might give up the idea of a Ferrari altogether, I think it would just be too irritating. I'll do some more thinking.

But that F430 Boxer put up is tempting! I love the F430.

Onno

post #19 of 48 Old 03-13-2011, 03:04 AM Thread Starter
Owner

post #20 of 48 Old 03-13-2011, 06:45 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
This seems to be the car, but very different price.

Latest Used Cars For Sale in Carlton, Nottinghamshire - CPL UK Enterprise Ltd

Onno
Yes but that is a retail ask. The info I sent you is related to their wanting to unload it quickly in the trade. Hence the request to send in a bid.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode