Slick new (to me) scam - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 02-18-2011, 03:41 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,439
Slick new (to me) scam

I thought I’d share this one since it was new to me. A buddy and I have been negotiating a deal with a Chinese company for about 3 or 4 months now and it looks like everything is right and we’re ready to order.

In what should have been the final email which included the invoice was the wire transfer info and a note calling our attention to a change of banks. Looking closer everything about the wire info was changed form what we'd seen before in just about every way, company name, address and it was now Taiwan not China……hmmm…..

We had our agent in China call the vendor and the vendor says he doesn’t know anything about a bank change and under no circumstances should we wire money anywhere but to the original account.

Looking closer at the email we received the email address is 1 character different than the real email address. It appears someone hacked the email account of the vendor or my partner and has been reading along waiting for the final payment agreement then intercepted and edited the final email.

I’ve never seen anything like this and luckily they weren’t slick enough to be able to create an account at the new bank with the correct names on the account or we might not have caught it.

Anyway, no harm done the deal is proceeding and the first contain will ship in a couple weeks….so anybody interested in an inexpensive (under $10k) electric car?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-18-2011, 04:52 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
post #3 of 6 Old 02-18-2011, 06:10 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetpet View Post
def post the specifics on the car if you haven't already.
Sure

There will be 2 models for now. Both will be 120V and capable of 60+ mph. Both are small…the copper color car is slightly smaller than a smart car and weights about 450kg (w/o batteries), the red car slightly larger than a smart and weights about 750kg (w/o batteries).

There will be a few battery options but the first cars will have 10 120A/hr or maybe 10 150 A/hr lead acid giving both a 100-150 mile range and adding about 400kg to the weight. Smaller lead acid (but less range) and smaller/lighter/longer range/expensive lithium options will follow as will an AWD/sport option and probably an on-board generator (hybrid) option and probably a smaller/slower/cheaper motor voltage option.

The copper car as a kit (you need to blot in the motor and batteries which are included) will cost about $10k. It’s a car, it drives, “what else could you want” kind of deal.

The red car as a kit which is a bit nicer and has a 5spd trans (copper car is 1 spd only for the moment) will cost about $12k and can be equipped with AC, power steering. P brakes, Air bag, and a couple other things to get it to about $15k.

These will be sold as kit cars, but will require very little assembly; the plan is that it should be no more than 10-20 hours and no special tools or equipment. If anybody wants one or wants to be a dealer let me know...I've got to pay for the V12 and upcoming 275 redesign projects some how
Attached Images

post #4 of 6 Old 02-18-2011, 08:38 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,193
I would stay away from that transfer, as we know the Orient in that area is nearly the same as the Prince scams. but thanks for the heads up on that...never seen one before like that...lots of hacking going on in China region.

Couple of things, I've done business with alibaba.com for years and they are fairly nice for the older established oriental companies.

ALSO: I cannot go into the details right now as it has not finalized, but you might want to consider an American [they just merged with a China co.] for an electric vehicle: Zap Motors here in Santa Rosa, CA. ZAP Electric Vehicles | ZAP Electric Cars, Trucks, Scooters, ATV's, Alias, 100% electric.

Again, I'm too involved in that to go further, but nicer to consider more American controlled and on our soil than just 'over there' and a lot less expensive and easier to service.

Below is an example of the 'newer' generation. Also, I know it's too expensive, but Tesla in Freemont has taken over the abandoned Toyota factory and employing American workers...

food for thought.....unless you were thinking of expanding that above vehicle into a 5 megawatt dragster....we know your bent

rik
Attached Images

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan

Last edited by Granucci; 02-18-2011 at 08:47 AM.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-18-2011, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Owner

I've used alibaba as well, like anything there are good and bad to be found there.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-18-2011, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granucci View Post
ALSO: I cannot go into the details right now as it has not finalized, but you might want to consider an American [they just merged with a China co.] for an electric vehicle: Zap Motors here in Santa Rosa, CA. ZAP Electric Vehicles | ZAP Electric Cars, Trucks, Scooters, ATV's, Alias, 100% electric.

rik
I’m not seeing those cars fitting my business model very well.

I’ll be using US workers/components where it makes sense which will be about at least 20% of the content I think….but this is a low end product with very little margin. The AWD/sport versions will be more like 75% US content $ wise I'd guess, but we'll see, first things first.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode