Sound Advice - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 01-24-2011, 04:56 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,094
Sound Advice

Recently posted on a South African BMW forum and I thought you folk may enjoy it.
The original post is from the Jeep forum.

This was the question asked on the forum
So, my boyfriend bought a '96 Cherokee (XJ) SE, for way too much, like around $3,000. It broke down and he has put another $2,500 in it and totally rebuilt the engine and did a lot of after market work on it. He has and will do all the labor himself, he refuses to pay for labor. Now, he finds out that the motor needs to be taken back out and fixed again and is looking at another $700. I said he should just sell it and wipe his hands clean, he says he won't make enough.

Firstly, what is your guys' opinion on what he should do? Secondly, how much do you think he could make parting it versus just the whole car as is?

Thanks for your guys' opinions!

Here is the answer
You want my opinion? Ok…

Shut the hell up. You’re not his wife. You’re not paying for the repairs. It’s absolutely none of your business what he does with his Jeep or his money. I know your type well… first it’s “Sell the Jeep because it’s costing too much money.” Then it’s “No, you can’t go spend the weekend with your buddies because I need you to take me shopping.” Then it’s “Oh gee, honey… I’m pregnant. Gosh, I have no idea how that happened.”

You’re a DreamKiller. You kill a guy’s dreams, take away his future, tie him down with a fat mortgage and too many babies, and turn him into just another miserable guy wondering, “How the hell did I get here?”

Do you really want to help him? Here’s what you do… go to your local library (it’s a big building with books inside) and check out a couple of books on rebuilding engines. Read them, over and over, until YOU understand what needs to be done. Then help him get that engine out and rebuild it. Tie your hair back in a ponytail, put on some old jeans and get your hands dirty. Hand him wrenches, hold the light, pull the wire connectors apart, help him get the hood off… help him with anything he needs. When he gets tired, run inside and make him a hot lunch or dinner. Fix him coffee, hot chocolate, whatever he wants. (But NO beer. Beer is for when the job is done.)

Then when the day is over and you’re both exhausted from working on the engine, push him into a hot shower and jump in with him. Scrub his back, wash his hair, rinse him off, and dry him with fluffy towels still hot from the dryer. Then push him into bed and screw his ears off. Then get up the next day and do it all over again.

Make him realize that rebuilding an engine is a slow and methodical process. Make him realize that every step should be regarded as surgery; every step must be perfect… perfect torque, perfect fit, perfectly clean. If you run into a step that you just can’t figure out, ask for help from someone who knows what he’s doing. Are you cute? Put on a low-cut top, show some cleavage and go (by yourself) to the local Jeep shop, and explain to the guys that you are helping your boyfriend to rebuild his engine and neither of you can figure out this one little step, and do they have any advice…

Think it won’t work? Think again. We guys love to help cute girls, even if they have a boyfriend. (Hey, maybe you’ve got a sister, or girlfriend…)

But absolutely DO NOT whine or complain. Do not say a single negative thing. Not a single “Oooooo, I broke a nail.” If you break a nail, or cut your finger, or bang a knuckle, you just shut up and DEAL WITH IT. You should be a hopelessly optomistic, never-say-die cheerleader, encouraging him every step of the way.

That’s my opinion

'96 Jeep Cherokee: Need Opinions - JeepForum.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-24-2011, 02:00 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,193
I would have responded minus the first two and last two paragraphs as the rest if very sound/good advice.

However, if the OP responded back with slappy remarks, and not a 'thankyou' then those reserved paragraphs might need a posting on the itranetzuz

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #3 of 6 Old 01-24-2011, 02:49 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567

post #4 of 6 Old 01-24-2011, 03:28 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,320
Poetry, shear poetry.

It brought a tear to my eye.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-24-2011, 05:06 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,839
HuuuuH???...I thought this thread was going to be a Tubi recommendation request.

Lol

Lane

Previous owner of 348ts SS #64, Now Ferrariless
post #6 of 6 Old 01-25-2011, 12:07 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
Way to go!

Luckily they are not married yet so quietly bailing out is the name of the game. If the guy is very much in love with her and wants to stay with her I suppose the guy himself would have to explain directly the two first paragraphs to the girl, as academically as possible.

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode