Importing a car from the EU to UK - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old 11-19-2010, 01:56 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 61
Importing a car from the EU to UK

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone from the UK has any experience in importing a classic car from the EU to the UK and would like to share their experience.

More specifically, I am intending on importing a 1957 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint from Belgium. However, since I have never imported a car before I am unsure of the process.

From what I have read on the internet (Hm revenue and customs), since the car is not brand new and is within the EU I do not need to pay duty. And since the car is within the EU the tax is already paid in another country thus no (value added tax) is needed to be paid.

Secondly the options in bringing it back over, I'm guessing either put it in a container or drive it back home (in which I am unsure if I there are any specifics I should be aware about)

Thanks for the help in advance.

Kind regards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 11-19-2010, 09:07 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by enz898 View Post
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone from the UK has any experience in importing a classic car from the EU to the UK and would like to share their experience.

More specifically, I am intending on importing a 1957 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint from Belgium. However, since I have never imported a car before I am unsure of the process.

From what I have read on the internet (Hm revenue and customs), since the car is not brand new and is within the EU I do not need to pay duty. And since the car is within the EU the tax is already paid in another country thus no (value added tax) is needed to be paid.

Secondly the options in bringing it back over, I'm guessing either put it in a container or drive it back home (in which I am unsure if I there are any specifics I should be aware about)

Thanks for the help in advance.

Kind regards.
I have done it a few times. As long as it has a current EU registration, it is very straight forward. Once it is in the UK, you will need to get it MOT'ed and file the import papers with the DVLA. As it is pre 73, not sure if any additional documents are needed. You may need a letter from Alfa confirming the build year.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode