Titoni Watches? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 10-23-2010, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Titoni Watches?

I know some of you guys are watch fans. What do you think about Titoni?

My Lau Poh wants to buy me a new watch to replace the $60 Timex I've been wearing for the last 2 years. I'm practical and I only want a watch if I like it better than my Timex. I want a watch that is not huge, is simple, looks nice, has a second hand, displays the date and the day. My Timex even has indiglo so you can view it in the dark. A new watch must be better than this.

Working in Asia I have accumulated a fair pile of fake Rolex's. I wear some of them but I always go back to my Timex. The fake Rolex's I give away as presents.

So I'm thinking it might be time (no pun intended) for me to get a "real" watch. It has to be better than my Timex. I want the watch to display the day of the week and I looked at the Rolex's and telling me the day of the week seems to be a $10k option. Seriously, the only Rolex I saw that I considered better than my Timex was $17,000. The Rolex I really liked was $45,000.

We looked at other brands, I was like, "no. no. no. no." until I saw the Titoni. I was like, "That watch I like." It has all the features I like and the price is around $1,700 SGD (plus I'd get the GST back).

So what do you think? Is this Titoni a good "real" watch? This would be my first real watch. I've always been a Timex man.
Attached Images

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 10-23-2010, 04:16 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,196
Pete, I can't comment on the Titoni, but I'm with you 100% on the Timex. I have a gold & stainless Submariner sitting in our home safe, and the reason it's there is because it keeps lousy time, is hard to read at night, and the date feature is nearly impossible to read.

As a joke one Christmas, my wife gave me a digital Timex, and after I set it up and wore it on Christmas Day, I loved it. It has 2 time zones, which is great because I spend half my time in GMT+1, and half in GMT-6, it's backlit so no problem reading it at night, it keeps perfect time, and the day & date are always available for either timezone.

Plus it looks so cheap & low key, nobody in their right mind wants to steal it, not even the Customs guys in the 3rd world countries where I go.

Now wifey is sorely PO'd because I prefer the $30 Timex to the Rolex (which she also gave me).

'99 550, Rosso Corsa / Nero, S/N:114654, Assy: 31836, Engine: 52084

High mileage, low compression, and missing on a few cylinders.....just like my cars.

Maranello Skunkworks Team Member
post #3 of 26 Old 10-23-2010, 04:54 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,875
Hmmmm.. my Rolex keeps pretty good time.... meaning it never really seems to loose it.... but my Omega is still leaps and bounds better....

BST1 and I have had discussions about this before. A Rolex is sort of like a Ferrari. It can be tuned to your style of usage. Wear it everyday and it need to be tuned as such. Wear it occasionally and it needs to be tuned as such.

My Omega is much more user friendly but no less watch.

I have little knowledge of Titoni but as they are Swiss made and have been around since 1919, I doubt you could really go wrong for the price range you're looking at.

Current: 85' GTS QV
It's a simple process...... it's just complicated by human beings....

post #4 of 26 Old 10-23-2010, 06:12 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,008
Being car guys, have you considered Equipe Watches? They are well-made with a car theme for each design. I wore the Q104 model (springs) to the Rockville Car Show.
http://equipewatches.com/index_flash.html

I first heard about this family-owned Michigan watch company from a Car and Driver podcast interview with Jay Leno who had an Equipe watch while covering the Pebble Beach Concours.

post #5 of 26 Old 10-24-2010, 12:00 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
No knowledge of the Titoni but would recommend taking a look at Breguets.
post #6 of 26 Old 10-24-2010, 12:58 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
No knowledge of the Titoni but would recommend taking a look at Breguets.
Breguet was Napoleon's choice. They are beautiful. As a "get smart" watch I also like the Patek Philippe Calatrava series. I wear the simplest Rolex Oyster Perpetual Datejust in stainless with a leather band. It doesn't tell the day but that's another function less to pay for. It tells the time and date and it ticks along flawlessly. I use it for all occasions, it withstands considerable physical abuse and it has told the time in arctic conditions and in the African bush.

I was given a Datejust in gold/steal for my 30th birthday and it is just as reliable but I plan to give it to one of my nepwhews when he turns 18. I figured it would be cool for an 18 yearold to wear. A Rolex Oyster must be cleaned and maintained at least every 5th year to insure perfection. If it doesn't tell the time correctly you must leave it to the clockmaker to have it adjusted. The clockwork is chronographic so you can absolutely achieve maximum accuracy.

I have the same soft spot for mechanical watches as for hand made hunting rifles. There is a beauty in both the external and internal design and properly maintained you can always rely on them to do the job. The ultra high demands on accuracy and reliabilty came from the intercontinental seafarers and made way for the chronographs. The same high demands on hunting rifles came from the hunters of the dangerous game and made way for the English Best Guns. They are Swiss and English hand made perfection at its best.

Capo

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.

Last edited by il Capolino; 10-24-2010 at 01:12 AM.
post #7 of 26 Old 10-24-2010, 10:10 AM
Owner

While I too like the Patek Philippe, let's remember Pete is taking 2 years to jump from a $60 watch to $1,700.

My Rolex Oyster Perpetual Datejust is gold face with diamonds on numbers and has date. It doesn't look as ostentatious or fru fru as it sounds. The band is silver with gold in the middle. I've had it for 8 years with absolute accuracy and no problems. Do I wear it all the time? Only for "dinner-out" occassions.

Mostly, I wear a $250. Luminox diver's watch with a rugged sapphire crystal and titanium bezel. It can take a beating, and is extremely visible in the darkest setting.

Another watch I like wearing daily is a TAG which I would personally recommend over the Titoni.

Also, a 2010 consideration is that Men's watches have become fashionably larger (40mm +) these past few years.

post #8 of 26 Old 10-24-2010, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Thanks guys, your advice did help. I did go with the Titoni Cosmo King. I like the look of it. My Lau Poh had suggested Tag and Omega but I consider them mass market watches and I might as well stick with my Timex that I like. Barcheta's acknowledgment that Titoni is a Swiss company that has been making watches for 90 years helped sway me. So I'm now sportin' a watch that I like and I feel it is exclusive.

Capt. Pete
post #9 of 26 Old 10-24-2010, 05:09 PM
Owner

Congratulations, enjoy it!!

Capo

Salve,
Capo

post #10 of 26 Old 10-24-2010, 06:38 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Capolino View Post

Capo
Ditto! Always fun owning timepieces. I have an 80 year old stainless steel Swiss-made "Mido" that I enjoy in the same way.

post #11 of 26 Old 10-24-2010, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:

Capo
Thanks Capo. I am enjoying the Titoni right now. I like seeing it on my wrist. I think I did well on this and I can begin to appreciate why people enjoy a fine watch as opposed to one that just tells the time. This one tells of the workmanship that went into making it.

I liked your analogy of comparing a watch to a gun. The Russians pump out the AK-47 the way Japan pumps out the Timex. They both do the same job. But Italy brings the level of firearms to an art the way that the Swiss do to a watch.

Hmmm. They do the same with cars................

Capt. Pete
post #12 of 26 Old 10-24-2010, 09:35 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:

Capo
+1. Enjoy.
post #13 of 26 Old 10-25-2010, 02:31 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete04222 View Post
Thanks Capo. I am enjoying the Titoni right now. I like seeing it on my wrist. I think I did well on this and I can begin to appreciate why people enjoy a fine watch as opposed to one that just tells the time. This one tells of the workmanship that went into making it.

I liked your analogy of comparing a watch to a gun. The Russians pump out the AK-47 the way Japan pumps out the Timex. They both do the same job. But Italy brings the level of firearms to an art the way that the Swiss do to a watch.

Hmmm. They do the same with cars................
Oh yes, the Italians can also make top notch guns. The Beretta SO5 series are fine pieces. For my own needs I have entrusted the English and I am very happy with them.

Capo

Salve,
Capo

post #14 of 26 Old 10-25-2010, 05:48 AM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Oh yes, the Italians can also make top notch guns. The Beretta SO5 series are fine pieces. For my own needs I have entrusted the English and I am very happy with them.

Capo
Now you have me curious as to what English piece you are happy with? For guns I prefer American and German ones.

Capt. Pete
post #15 of 26 Old 10-25-2010, 06:49 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,154
This thread is useless without the traditional pics.
post #16 of 26 Old 10-25-2010, 11:19 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Now you have me curious as to what English piece you are happy with? For guns I prefer American and German ones.
Personal favorites are my Belguim made Brownings and the Parkers.
post #17 of 26 Old 10-25-2010, 03:11 PM
Owner

Quote:
Now you're touching another huge passion of mine: Big game hunting with big game rifles in big game areas...

I came to a point several years ago where I wanted to hunt everything only with double rifles instead of as previously with bolt action rifles. I wanted to pick up the rifle and aim with the same instinctive feeling and the same ergonomical layout as with my shot guns which are a pair of bespoke Holland and Holland 12 bore Royals. I think they are marvellous so it was a natural step to hop over to H&H in London to have me measured up for a series of three identical double rifles - a dream series!

I knew since long ago exactly which calibers would suit my hunting optimally. The smallest caliber (double No.3) is a .375 H&H Flanged Magnum NE. It's a great long range big game caliber. The barrels are adjusted for 100 yards and I have one short range and one long range scope for it in order to broaden its use. People don't like taking long shots with doubles but it's perfectly doable if you have the double built with the barrels adjusted for 100 yards as opposed to the conventional 50 yards. You also need best gun quality trigger feel for long range precision which most doubles don't even come close to. That's probably another reason why hunters are uncomfortable with doubles for long range shooting. I shoot all my baits with the .375 double. Some impalas have been shot at 130 and 140+ meters distance (I use a Leica range finder for longer shots when time permits). It is a caliber I am totally comfortable to shoot with lying down for yet increased precision but it is still big enough to legally use on an emergency elephant charge. I have entrusted this double to be my leopard rifle and also for crocks. The common language amongst Zimbabwean hunters is Shona. I have therefore in gold inlay the Shona words for leopard and crocodile between the barrels: ingwe and ngwena.

Double number 2 is a .500/.416 Nitro Express. It is made from a .500 3" 1/4 shell necked down to .416 caliber. This is a very powerful caliber. It has theoretically the same long range capabilities as the .375 but a whole lot more knock-out power. Since it is a good long range caliber, albeit a bit powerful for extreme precision, I had it built with the barrels adjusted for 80 yards with a 410 grain bullet and a short range scope for occasional longer shots. It is a very impressive caliber which throws a lot of lead at good speed. If I could only have one double it would be this one for its versatility. Luckily I can have all three doubles. The .500/.416 NE was invented to mimic the ballistics and power of a .416 Rigby but for a double. The .416 Rigby is a very succesful caliber but only for bolt action rifles. Besides from lacking the flange it also develops too high gas pressure for a double rifle. With the big .500/.416 you can achive the same characteristics at a lower gas pressure. I have entrusted it to be my lion double and also for buffalo and hippo. Consequently is says in Shona: shumba, nyati and mvuu between the barrels.

My biggest double (No. 1) is a .500 Nitro Express. The trackers call it the makooro mbobo: the big double. It has no scope option because it is made for close calls. Besides, it wouldn't look aesthetic with a scope on a five hundred and you cannot mess with the beauty of bespoke guns. The barrels are adjusted for 50 yards. The massive half inch barrel diameter throws a stunning (no pun intended) 570 grains of lead at almost 2200ft/s. It has saved my skin last year on an elephant bull charge. Since it is so well made, there is absolutely no problem with double tapping it in fast sequence in spite of its massive power. It is entrusted for hunting the elephant and the rhino. Between the barrels you can read in Shona: nzou and nhema.

All three doubles have a bright ivory bead and a fairly big V-sight with a golden pinnacle in the V for quick instinctive shooting at close range. The sights and many other features are made to my specific requirements. My thing is stalking all the way up so they are almost only used with the open sights. Although it is very good to put the scopes on when hunting bait animals for the cat hunting. Otherwise you would additionally have to carry a scoped bolt action rifle. I can carry even the heaviest double on my shoulder, the five hundred, seven days a week, week after week. I think it is important for one's self esteem and group acceptance to carry one's own rifle instead of getting help from the trackers. The trackers are working hard enough with the very complicated tracking. Besides, they are not porters, they are highly respected top of the line trackers.

Well, these are my dream H&H hunting weopons and I have hunted all the big game inscripted on them apart from the rhino. My way of "hunting" the rhino is by working with the Rhino Foundation marking and monitoring wild rhino. You can get a licence in South Africa tomorrow for a rhino but I only hunt the wild Africa. I don't do "canned hunting".

Note: All my hunting is licenced by CITES and I do a lot of hunting of problem animals, e.g. over-the-hill animals which venture towards habitated areas. I am also actively engaged in anti-poaching and saving the wild rhino. Legal hunting is the best functioning way of resolving conflicts between human and animal interest. It is also the best known solution to keep poaching at bay. I think it is a spectacular, interesting and exciting thing to do and I will hunt the big game for as long as I physically can.

Salve,
Capo

Salve,
Capo

Last edited by il Capolino; 10-25-2010 at 04:19 PM.
post #18 of 26 Old 10-25-2010, 03:26 PM
Owner

Here's a magnificent dagga boy I shot this year. (Dagga boys=old hurd independent bulls of the syncherus caffer caffer). The rifle is double No. 2 with the scope put back on. Thanks to the scope I got a brief "window" at 80m through the bush and he took it bad broadside. I walked in on him, scope off, and emptied both barrels in the "boiler room" and in the "diff" as he was still willing to debate.

When the buffalo bulls get too old to do the stressful work of alpha and heard leader, they get fought off by the new alpha and hang out together with other bulls in the same situation. They become very strong together from only having to care for themselves and they like taking long mud baths. This has given them their name: dagga boys, "the boys who hang out mudbathing". When mating season starts over the dagga boy moves in on the heard, fights off the alpha which had him substituted earlier on. The dagga boy then proceeds to sh4gging all the cows in the heard. These old bulls get tremendous mythologic respect. They have no heard responsibility so they don't have to run off with their heards when threatened. If scratched by lions or from a graceless poaching attempt they are not in a playful mood. Dagga boy hunting is THE buffalo hunt IMO.
Attached Images

Salve,
Capo

Last edited by il Capolino; 10-25-2010 at 05:03 PM.
post #19 of 26 Old 10-25-2010, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Capo, there is no denying your passion. I love your hunting story and how you choose your weapon. You are truly a man's man doing stuff that others can only dream of. I can picture you walking side by side with Ernest Hemmingway and Theodore Roosevelt.

Capt. Pete
post #20 of 26 Old 10-26-2010, 01:04 AM
Owner

Quote:
Capo, there is no denying your passion. I love your hunting story and how you choose your weapon. You are truly a man's man doing stuff that others can only dream of. I can picture you walking side by side with Ernest Hemmingway and Theodore Roosevelt.
Thanks a lot for your kind words Captain! I really like my African hunting.

Ernest, Theodore and Forrest Gump, wouldn't that be something!? I found a picture of one of my H&H shotguns. It's from Chishakwe this year. In the evening if there is time I like to shoot some francoline partridges, sandgrouse, guinnea fowl and doves. With all the heavy game meat it's nice with some light field fowl for a change.

Take care,
Capo
Attached Images

Salve,
Capo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode