Sports car vs Supercar vs GT - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 06-27-2010, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Sports car vs Supercar vs GT

What is the dividing line between a sports car, supercar, and GT ? For instance would a base 911 be a sports car, the 911 GT2 a supercar, and the Panamera a GT? For Ferraris, is the California a sports car, the 458 a Supercar, and the 612 & 599 the GT??? or is the 599 a supercar or both?

Also is the understanding that once a supercar, always a supercar even though the performance expectations have moved on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-27-2010, 11:35 AM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Very good question. Just watched the Top Gear episode where they took GTs in Romania and James picked a Lamborghini Gallardo. They kept referring to it as a supercar. For me personally I have 4 categories:

Sportscar = 911, most anything that 2 door/2 seat RWD

Exotic sportscar = above but more rare, 430, Gallardo, 308

GT/Coupe = 2 door, 4 seat (or soft 2 seater) RWD... California, 456, M3?

Supercar = performance machine, very low production numbers: Enzo/F50, LP670 SV, Zonda
post #3 of 7 Old 06-27-2010, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

There really are no clear definitions or agreements as to what is what. Gets really messy when you try to place a 430 Scuderia or a Challenge Stradale. About the only models which are clearly Supercars are the 288 GTO, F40, F50, Enzo, McLaren F1, and Carrera GT. Even the Mercedes McLaren is more GT than pure Supercar.

post #4 of 7 Old 06-28-2010, 03:41 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,130
Interesting question as the lines become blurred, especially with the term "supercar" being abused to refer to anything fast these days.

For me a supercar is mid-engined, fast (as in higher top speed than the pack at the time even if some are slower around a track than a sportscar), rare and outrageous. The Lamborghini Miura was the first supercar in my book. While a Porsche 997 GT2 certainly has supercar performance I would not classify it as a supercar. The Carrera GT yes but no 911, 959 debatable. BB, 288GTO, F40, F50, Enzo territory. Most if not all mid-engined V12 Lamborghini's.

Sportscar for me is fast, 2 seater (2+2 at a push), light and feels good both on road and track. Most Ferrari's and 911 territory here.

GT feels great to jump into and take for a 1,000km drive in a day, arriving at the other side feeling exhilerated, relaxed and happy from a great drive. Fast, heavier than a sportscar but pretty good on the track too. Heavy Ferrari's and Porsche turbo territory.

Of course the line between sportscar and GT is blurred by such magnificent machines as the GTC, Daytona and 911. They are superb on track and great for crossing a few countries in a day in style with speed and comfort. Fast beautiful cars combining GT and sportscar performance are the ones that appeal so much to me. With a few of these in the stable, a supercar becomes more fun and special.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-28-2010, 11:49 AM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
One thing I will add to my post. I think the car has to be categorized relative to the other cars based on its time of manufacturing.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-29-2010, 12:02 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
One thing I will add to my post. I think the car has to be categorized relative to the other cars based on its time of manufacturing.
Absolutely agree!
post #7 of 7 Old 06-29-2010, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitalone View Post
Absolutely agree!
+1, the designation should be based on the criteria at time of production. Good example is the Muira. Definitely a supercar based on the criteria when it was launched and still considered one today. However its performance status when compared to today's cars are put it in with a good hot hatch.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode