Left Lane should be "Passing Lane" BY LAW - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 06-22-2010, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 79
Left Lane should be "Passing Lane" BY LAW

Doesn't it piss you off on the freeway/interstate/highway/turn pike/toll road when someone is in the fast lane but not really passing anyone?

I think all states should designate the fast lane as passing only. Pass and then get over to the right. They do it in Europe. Christ, they do it in Mexico too. I was quite impressed to see the cadence in Mexico.

Our motto should be "stay out of the fast lane damn it!" I don't care what kind of car you're driving, it's how you're driving it that matters (though minivans should simply be banned) .

Starting making it law and giving tickets to dip sh!ts who are asleep in the fast lane.

Am I alone on this pet peeve?

Previously owned:
1982 308 GTSi; red/tan
1983 308 GTSi QV; red/tan
1997 F355 Spider; 6-speed; red/tan
2006 F430 coupe; 6-speed; red/tan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-22-2010, 03:56 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
pretty sure it already is in md. in theory more than practice. there are several state highways that have "slower traffic keep right" signs. if only people would heed them.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #3 of 11 Old 06-22-2010, 04:14 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,193
I totally agree. I pull into 'slow'er lane when it's open or safe. Even though the fastest lane I came from is a HOV. I especially, HATE, yes strong word, but hate drivers unaware of their surroundings, and going the same speed as the person next to them with no one in front of them!!! WTH. Either speed up/down a few feet and go that speed a lane over and open up the FREEWAY.

Sadly CA has not really enforced that law IF it exists. Sadly cell phone in the hand and other non-driving issues go without notice, too. That would be such a boom to our finances one would think the CHP would be all over it.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan

post #4 of 11 Old 06-22-2010, 04:22 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Damn I couldn't agree more with this. Coming back from Tahoe a few weeks ago this guy as going slow in the fast lane, he had 5 cars backed up as he did the exact speed on HWY 50 as the guy in the right lane.

He then gives us (all the cars passing him) the finger when we pass in on the left. Total a**

Would be curious if those on the other side of the pond experience the same. My image is that they do not and drivers in Europe know to get over when a faster car wants to go by.
post #5 of 11 Old 06-22-2010, 04:48 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
I just get in the right lane. No one there so I can usually go 80 in it.

All these things are never going to happen. The reality is driving in this country is a right and no politician will do anything about that. Bad drivers, older drivers that really shouldn't be driving, people without a license or even insurance. I can go on and on but it will become political. Face it, our roads have become a revenue generating device for Uncle Sam. It will get fixed when we fix our government and I am not going to be around long enough to see it.

I had a 2 week old Mustang and got T boned in an intersection a number of years ago by a South East Asian in a $75 Nissan with no brakes. I actually got an Oakland cop to the scene ( I had to lie a little) to take a report. The guy didn't speak English, no registration, no insurance, no license. They took a report, made him walk away from the scene.

The Cop reassured me the DA would come down on the guy like a ton of bricks. Oakland doesn't put up with that he told me. I got nose to nose with him and unloaded. "WTF ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? You don't even know his name. I know you have something written down there but he had no ID. Do you think he gave you a real name? Face it, he is right now disappearing into the Asian community and you will never see him again. And what if you did? You going to throw him in jail? That would be the best day of his f'ing life. 3 hot meals and a warm, dry place to sleep."

The Cop was a little taken aback but he had to admit I was right. I hate to be negative but as long as we have career politicians not one single one of those things is going to change.
post #6 of 11 Old 06-22-2010, 05:18 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,196
The cops need to be convinced this could be another revenue generator for them. Going "too" slow in the passing lane could really rack up some impressive ticket writing statistics, especially during early commuting hours.

Nearly every female is chugging along in the left lane, putting on her makeup in the mirror, while trying to text someone, and paying absolutely no attention to where she is, or how fast she's going.

'99 550, Rosso Corsa / Nero, S/N:114654, Assy: 31836, Engine: 52084

High mileage, low compression, and missing on a few cylinders.....just like my cars.

Maranello Skunkworks Team Member
post #7 of 11 Old 06-22-2010, 05:25 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by cribbj View Post
The cops need to be convinced this could be another revenue generator for them. Going "too" slow in the passing lane could really rack up some impressive ticket writing statistics, especially during early commuting hours.

Nearly every female is chugging along in the left lane, putting on her makeup in the mirror, while trying to text someone, and paying absolutely no attention to where she is, or how fast she's going.
I don't know about Texas but in California there is no such law to enforce. Not only that CHP has its hands full at commute hours. No real time for a ticket writing campaign. Too busy dealing with wrecks. Besides in California at commute hour the freeways are full, there isnt enough road for a passing lane.
post #8 of 11 Old 06-23-2010, 01:04 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
When I am driving in Southern California, ...no rules, no morals, no manners. Sad, but the truth. I do understand your frustrations, nevertheless. People are better behaved here in Japan (could be better, tho). w/ smiles Jimmy
post #9 of 11 Old 06-23-2010, 09:45 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
I just get in the right lane. No one there so I can usually go 80 in it....................

That is THE best kept secret....we go to Sacratomato almost every weekend as you know, and the SLOW lane is the fastest most unobstructed lane. When I worked for a co. in Sacto I commutted for several years and know every nook and cranny....

Mod encrypt that post that only Elite members can read it. BTW : WHY Isn't BRIAN an Elite member?????
Attached Images

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan

Last edited by Granucci; 06-23-2010 at 10:25 AM.
post #10 of 11 Old 06-26-2010, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 79
It is true that driving in the U.S. is a Right, not a Privilege. The system has been set up intentionally to let anyone and everyone get a license. And unfortunately, the result of this means that people who shouldn't drive are enabled to do so.

Since all levels of government need to generate "revenue," it seems like slapping a $250 ticket on driving slow in the fast lane would be easy to generate some cashola for our local municipalities! Let's stick a "tax" on the inept who are dumb enough to drive slow in the fast lane...

Previously owned:
1982 308 GTSi; red/tan
1983 308 GTSi QV; red/tan
1997 F355 Spider; 6-speed; red/tan
2006 F430 coupe; 6-speed; red/tan
post #11 of 11 Old 06-26-2010, 11:29 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
I like that idea as I am confident I'll likely never be getting a ticket for that.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode