Man on Mars - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 06-04-2010, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Man on Mars

Debated the merits of trying to put a man on Mars with a friend today. Personally I believe we should. The technological advances that will come out of the program should make the effort worth while. Also think it is time we did something big again that everyone can get behind and be proud of.

Comments?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-04-2010, 01:50 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 190
I think it would be a great feat based on distance alone. I don't think the excitement for space travel is there like it was in the 60's. If a planet isn't infested with life it seems the overall concensus is underwhelming.

I am all for exploring our universe as far as we can.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-04-2010, 02:14 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,193
I may be in the small camp, but believe although Mars is one of the greater planets in our system to inhabit in terms of proximity and offerings I believe the Moon offers greater opportunities.

I believe we should make smaller steps on this one, as a 18 month oneway venture to Mars is a lot of resource. Developing robots on the Moon while staging and developing structures there will make for better success.

IMO, it would be better spent to go to Moon first, then elsewhere. Even IF I am not alive to see it, which most likely would be the case in terms of Mars anyway.

If you consider the Russians and their abilities to make things happen under less resources, they are taking the pre-cautionary approach of just seeing if an 18month trip to Mars [simulation] can be functional.

This is their simulation started yesterday: http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/201...-Russia-begins

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan

post #4 of 7 Old 06-04-2010, 03:35 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
I agree we should try to make it there. If I recall the atmosphere there has the ability to be used to make lots of rocket fuel for return trips home. Would also be nice to put a drill in its surface and see what's under it (i.e. water).
post #5 of 7 Old 06-04-2010, 04:45 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
I agree we should try to make it there. If I recall the atmosphere there has the ability to be used to make lots of rocket fuel for return trips home. Would also be nice to put a drill in its surface and see what's under it (i.e. water).

Haven't we already dug a few holes in the surface? May elements are present including what used to be water? I'm not as versed as I should be as you can see.

Last edited by Brian_Brice; 06-04-2010 at 04:48 PM. Reason: meant surface not core.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-04-2010, 10:31 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 160
I believe there's evidence of ice on mars. And personally I believe we should work on developing our technology on the moon before we go explore mars. Think about how long the trip is, could we even keep the austronauts aboard the ship alive for 3-4 years?
post #7 of 7 Old 06-04-2010, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baller View Post
Think about how long the trip is, could we even keep the austronauts aboard the ship alive for 3-4 years?
Agree that setting up a permanent base on the moon would need to be the 1st step of any serious Mars program. While we might not have the tech today to keep men alive and thriving on a space ship for 3-4 years, the advances that would come out of developing the means to do so would benefit us all.

(and I would much rather see the US Government spend $700+ billion sending a man to Mars vs toppling a 3rd rate Dictator in the Middle East)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode