Deepwater Horizon - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old 05-08-2010, 07:13 AM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Deepwater Horizon

I'm actually suprised no one has started a thread on this yet considering how high profile it is.

The Deepwater Horizon was my home for 5 1/2 years. I was Chief Mate on that rig bringing it from Korea to the Gulf of Mexico and drilling it's first well for BP with no incidents and no down time. Of the 11 people who lost their lives when it blew up, 6 of them were personal friends of mine.

It hurts me to see her name smeared. She was, and I still consider her to be, the best rig in the world. There is no drilling rig out there that was built to higher standards than the Deepwater Horizon. I've ridden that rig through weather that brought an entire nation to it's knees (Katrina) and I came out of it fine. To the core of my soul I felt there was nothing that rig couldn't handle.

I was 14 years with Transocean and 10 of that was working with BP. I've got nothing bad to say about either of them. Safety is the core of our business. Every single meeting starts off with safety. The media is protraying us as a bunch of cowboys that don't know what we are doing. This is big business here. We have a bigger budget than NASA. We are the world's leading technological profession.

But just when you think you know it all nature throws a curve ball at you. The 6 friends I lost died doing what they loved best. Had they survived, they'd be doing just what I'm doing, getting in a helicopter and going back out there and getting it done and making sure nothing like this ever happens again.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 05-08-2010, 10:59 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
coincidentally, my next door neighbor is BP's lawyer on this mess. Just talking to him about an hour ago about it. He handles all the environmental stuff. small world.

Don't think it was the rigs fault. More like our friends at halliburton.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #3 of 32 Old 05-08-2010, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetpet View Post
coincidentally, my next door neighbor is BP's lawyer on this mess. Just talking to him about an hour ago about it. He handles all the environmental stuff. small world.

Don't think it was the rigs fault. More like our friends at halliburton.
I'm glad you don't think it was the rig's fault. I can tell you there is no better rig out there and there is not a finer set of guys in the world running it. You got a problem deepwater well, that was the best rig the world had to offer to put on top of it.

Having said that, I guess the thorough tear-down of my own rig's blow-out preventer is well justified.

Capt. Pete

post #4 of 32 Old 05-08-2010, 07:28 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,008
Capt. Pete - Those in the camera's spotlight have narrowed everything down to a soundbite. I don't put much trust in media speculation these days. The hardcore vetting process of individuals as well as hard fact-finding on tragedies such as this by the media has been compromised. Now, it is more important to utilize such reporting "skills" as shock, soundbites and be first to report.

I'm glad you posted and put a more human realization on the situation. May your friends rest in peace.

Neon

post #5 of 32 Old 05-22-2010, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Here's an update. I've been in touch with friends and now that the government is involved no one wants to make a decision without approval from the Secretary of the Interior or the White House. The world's experts in this sort of shit are forced to take a back seat to our elected officials who are now the new experts. Our elected officials all of a sudden know more about deepwater oil wells than I do.

Capt. Pete
post #6 of 32 Old 05-22-2010, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Good news is that I heard from my buddies on the Q4000 and they think they can kill the well this weekend. I hope them the best!

Capt. Pete
post #7 of 32 Old 05-23-2010, 08:41 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 160
It's interesting to hear this story from a different POV. Thanks for posting Pete.
post #8 of 32 Old 05-23-2010, 12:23 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete04222 View Post
Good news is that I heard from my buddies on the Q4000 and they think they can kill the well this weekend. I hope them the best!

good luck to them.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #9 of 32 Old 05-23-2010, 01:09 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,154
Pete, sorry to hear about your friends and we pray for their families. On the political front, do you expect anything different from the leftstream media? Kid you not, I was flipping the channels this morning and ran across Meet the Depressed and I think his name is David Gregory, and the panel was discussing the oil spell and he said this "Isn't the problem that all the experts in this field do not work for the government"? Like, if these experts worked for the government, somehow they would magically be more intelligent and make better decisions despite the fact we are talking about the same experts and the only thing that would change would be their employer. What he is really saying is that the government needs to hire the best in the field "increase gov't spending and control the industry" which is very difficult because the gov't cannot compete with the private industry for talent.
post #10 of 32 Old 05-23-2010, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

On a lighter note:

Capt. Pete
post #11 of 32 Old 05-23-2010, 05:59 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete04222 View Post
On a lighter note:
That is absolutely hilarious.

To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.-Anatole France
"Dude, it's just math"-Pete
post #12 of 32 Old 05-27-2010, 10:29 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,354
Can you tell us more about the process? How can they drill intersecting bores in a mile of water and hit a 24inch dia location? How do they mount the BP in the first place? Inquiring minds want to know

------------------------------

Life is Good!
post #13 of 32 Old 05-27-2010, 10:35 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,354
Hell, Well I'm thinking about it how do you support a mile or more worth of drill and pipe without it sinking the whole rig?

------------------------------

Life is Good!
post #14 of 32 Old 05-27-2010, 08:23 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 160
That's what I was wondering, how does the drilling actually happen in the first place? I saw obamas special report today, and it seems that the us goverment are now the oil well experts...typical.
post #15 of 32 Old 05-28-2010, 11:12 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baller View Post
That's what I was wondering, how does the drilling actually happen in the first place? I saw obamas special report today, and it seems that the us goverment are now the oil well experts...typical.

just to be clear, and I think this admin dropped the ball a lot and hasn't followed up at all in taking control of a wild ride: he didn't say the govt. is the expert, quite the contrary, they are saying BP are the experts and they are defaulting to their expertise and equipment and somewhat rightly so.

My beef is they should be having conversations with other groups in the biz. AND, most importantly

Taking a more heavy handed control of governing those seemingly in control. The most common thread out of every one is 'who is in control' BP, Coast Guard, who is directing traffic etc....seems there is not centralized management.

Go in, kick Azz, take names and start doing it.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #16 of 32 Old 05-28-2010, 11:19 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,193
PETE:

The rig isn't the problem, so we can let that go.

It was apparently BP's implementation of the known methods to drill which they seem to have skirted around. That cost lives, jobs, a rig, and now continues for decades. All they seem to have needed to do was follow the rules, regs, maintenance and methods and proven deep drilling would have been where most of us put it: out of sight, out of mind.

now, it is a worldly dialogue....never to be off the table.

BP, who I used to like [I use their Solar panels = best in silicon in the market for commoners], has become a huge issue in my mind. They were sighted as the most troublesome in terms of violations, like 100 times the next on the list: over 700 violations. They just paid their penalties of 50Mill or whatever [ONE day's net to the bank] and nailed us.

Guess who will pay for this? Us. They will pass the cost to the consumer and we'll eat it up.

Even a 2-4 billion cleanup won't damage last year's NET profit of 50+BILLION..ya' AFTER tax/net.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #17 of 32 Old 05-31-2010, 01:58 AM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKRace View Post
Can you tell us more about the process? How can they drill intersecting bores in a mile of water and hit a 24inch dia location? How do they mount the BP in the first place? Inquiring minds want to know
Well, it would be tough to summarize it in a few paragraphs. Basically it is technology. You can position a 830 foot long ship to within 2 feet of where you want it without using anchors. Anchoring is not cost effective in deepwater. We use dynamic positioning, using thrusters to hold the ship and DGPS and beacons on the sea floor as a position reference. Once the ship is positioned, you lower the drill string. As it is very heavy it acts as a pendulum to hang straight. You have remote operated vehicles complete with navigation information back to the ship to help with the final positioning. Once you "Tag Bottom" you drill a straight hole and cement in your first casing run and the well head. The blowout preventer is latched onto the well head (Again, using the cameras on the ROV). Now you can "directionally drill". They have drill assemblies that are actually steerable. By controlling the bit and the weight on the drill string you can "build angle" and make the bit go where you want it to. Data is transmitted back up through the drill string via the drilling fluid. The drilling fluid is used as the media to transmit data much the same as we use air to transmit radio signals.

Hope that sheds a little light on it for you. If you know a little bit about flying think of driving the drill bit as flying on instruments.

Capt. Pete
post #18 of 32 Old 05-31-2010, 02:18 AM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granucci View Post
Taking a more heavy handed control of governing those seemingly in control. The most common thread out of every one is 'who is in control' BP, Coast Guard, who is directing traffic etc....seems there is not centralized management.
BP is the operator, this is their show. Oversight on marine issues is done by the USCG. Oversight on drilling issues is done by the Minerals Management Service under direction from the Secretary of the Interior. Now of course you've got EPA involved.

The BP guys are the ones you want running the show. They're the experts. This is what they do. USCG, MMS and EPA all need to just stand back and let them get this under control. Questions can come later.

Capt. Pete
post #19 of 32 Old 05-31-2010, 03:47 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
Pete, I'm thrilled about your technical expertise. Its a really fascinating endeveour, and surelly to the benifit to all of us.
Clearly the whole mess in this case imo will finally be reduced back to human failure. We are all human beings and as such prone to wrong decision making. No question about that and no offense against anybody seriously involved in the exploring business. As human failure is often the case in many other important/ potentially dangereous areas, the trend to automatisation in all aspects may be partially a solution but, as in the case of nuclear plants, even then the human factor will get its part out of it. For me its just part of the undeniable equation. Point.

The Deepwater horizon crisis will reform the offshore drilling business in a way to become more secure or better, but never without any risk involved.
The good thing about all this imo is that suddenly the common people and media experts become finally aware, what dangerous and complicated processes and deep knowhow of people are involved to get that gaz into our cars or homeheating system. I thought its about time and a great chance to show the public that there is no free lunch out there to get what we daily consume, without even spending a thought on it.

I have a deep respect for all the professionals working 3 months or more in a row on a platform, 7days, 24h readyness, to get what we want. Not to mention the social problems occuring with such a job (maybe not on the platform but at home with families there or not there anymore after the return).
post #20 of 32 Old 05-31-2010, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Well, just as I figured we got a knee-jerk reaction and the White House is shutting down all new offshore oil exploration in the USA. My company has 1 rig already working in the Gulf so it is safe. But we've got 2 more new-builds heading to the Gulf and 1 ship heading for Alaska. We're scrambling now to find somewhere else to send them. We're looking at Australia and Brazil and of course Africa. Not USA. Bear in mind that each of these rigs employs about 500 people. All these rigs are leaving the country. The ones that are working, when their contract ends they are leaving and they are taking the jobs with them. Sad state of affairs. I was looking forward to drilling off East Coast USA. I don't believe now that it will happen within my lifetime. I gotta hang onto the job I got in Asia because there ain't nothin' in the USA right now. America has lost 1,500 jobs to my company alone. And we are the little guy. Transocean is the big boy. I would not like to bet on the number of American jobs lost at Transocean. They are the biggest and you can see all of their ships and rigs sailing out of the Gulf of Mexico headed overseas. GoM produces 1/3 of our domestic oil. It's shut down now. Is our consumption reduced? No. I'll bring you your oil, but I'm now bringing it from Asia, It doesn't come from USA. Happy now?

Capt. Pete

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode