Personnaly I welcome our new Insect Space Overlords - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 04-26-2010, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,112
Garage
Personnaly I welcome our new Insect Space Overlords

Aliens May Pose Risks: Stephen Hawking

British astrophysicist Stephen Hawking says aliens are out there, but it could be too dangerous for humans to interact with extraterrestrial life.

Hawking claims in a new documentary that intelligent alien lifeforms almost certainly exist, but warns that communicating with them could be "too risky."

The 68-year-old scientist says a visit by extraterrestrials to Earth would be like Christopher Columbus arriving in the Americas, "which didn't turn out very well for the Native Americans."

He speculates most extraterrestrial life will be similar to microbes, or small animals but adds advanced lifeforms may be "nomads, looking to conquer and colonize."

The Discovery Channel said Sunday it will broadcast "Stephen Hawking's Universe" in Britain next month

Night life........ain't a good life........but it's my life -- Willy Nelson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 04-27-2010, 03:52 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
I feel that any warlike or aggressive intelligent species would destroy itself or it's own planet long before developing the technology to be capable of interstellar travel. Therefore, any intelligent species capable of interstellar travel must be peaceful and have learned to live without war or famine or want and with strong views of conservation. They wouldn't have polluted their world to destruction. They would have clean and plentiful energy sources and their world would be a veritible Eden.

They would be pushovers. If they contact us and we find out where they live we should go conquer them and take over their world.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
post #3 of 27 Old 04-27-2010, 09:05 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete04222 View Post
I feel that any warlike or aggressive intelligent species would destroy itself or it's own planet long before developing the technology to be capable of interstellar travel. Therefore, any intelligent species capable of interstellar travel must be peaceful and have learned to live without war or famine or want and with strong views of conservation. They wouldn't have polluted their world to destruction. They would have clean and plentiful energy sources and their world would be a veritible Eden.

They would be pushovers. If they contact us and we find out where they live we should go conquer them and take over their world.
Ya! Spoken like a true American, lets go get 'em

To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.-Anatole France
"Dude, it's just math"-Pete

post #4 of 27 Old 04-27-2010, 09:29 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,154
Quote:

No need to look afar, they currently reside in DC for the next 3 years.
post #5 of 27 Old 04-27-2010, 09:55 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 190
Quote:

Either that or a few survivors were able to build one bad ass ship to get the hell out of there.
post #6 of 27 Old 04-27-2010, 10:11 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,193
they are already here, and they are called politicians: has anyone every spoke to one and communicated?

case closed

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #7 of 27 Old 04-27-2010, 01:16 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 247
I think what Hawkins was attempting to say was that the very difference in technology would produce a lot of destruction here. Similar to what occurred to the American Indians, disease, social unrest, you name it. Could happen to us.

Asimov quote: "Advanced technology is magic to those that don't understand it." We'd be in the same position.

Art
post #8 of 27 Old 04-27-2010, 06:31 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by redtrman View Post
No need to look afar, they currently reside in DC for the next 3 years.
I own a can of Raid. Its good up to 20 feet...lets go

Lane

Previous owner of 348ts SS #64, Now Ferrariless
post #9 of 27 Old 04-27-2010, 11:58 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 73
why would advanced aliens want to visit us, as a planet were in a mess and maybe thats why, other aliens see us as two legged squishy lifeforms bickering between ourselves.
post #10 of 27 Old 04-28-2010, 07:24 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 15
Actually technological progress evolves quicker in war times...

a visit by extraterrestrials to Earth would be like Christopher Columbus arriving in the Americas, "which didn't turn out very well for the Native Americans.

Let me see if I get this right: if we want a good outcome we need to go there and invade them first! hehe
post #11 of 27 Old 04-28-2010, 07:53 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by tati25 View Post
Let me see if I get this right: if we want a good outcome we need to go there and invade them first! hehe
Call me traditional, I have always liked bush.
post #12 of 27 Old 04-29-2010, 10:57 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 594
Garage
We've nothing to worry about. The same thing would just happen to them that happened in the 50's when the Marshins came from Mars. They would be killed off by our little germ friends. Some bloke did a documentry on it. He did well to get all that actual footage. And Jef Wayne even made an album about it. They called it War of the Worlds.

"When I was a boy, I had a dream. It now sits in my garage".
www.maranellohouse.com
Lifetime Honorary President NI Italian Motor Club www.niimc.net
post #13 of 27 Old 05-03-2010, 12:15 AM

Location: Kent, England... wish I was back in Scotland though.
Ferrari Life Posts: 4
Yes, any species capable of warmongering and killing off another planet would surely have killed themselves off first.
Wait, is this the humans we're talking about??

I vote for another expedition to this 'new world' and kill off all the rednecks, William Wallace-style! "'Mon ahead!"
post #14 of 27 Old 05-03-2010, 09:50 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtrman View Post
Call me traditional, I have always liked bush.

landing strips are not to be overlooked....OK, TMI

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #15 of 27 Old 05-03-2010, 11:11 AM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000YELLOW360 View Post
I think what Hawkins was attempting to say was that the very difference in technology would produce a lot of destruction here. Similar to what occurred to the American Indians, disease, social unrest, you name it. Could happen to us.

Asimov quote: "Advanced technology is magic to those that don't understand it." We'd be in the same position.

Art
I'd say we are advanced enough though that we wouldn't be scared of their technology. Another way of putting it, given our imagination and Hollywood, is there really something that would surprise you? My reaction would be, "Cool this _____ is awesome, let's reverse engineer it." In my opinion, Native American's didn't really embrace the study of science the way Europeans did, so when the new comers arrived, they didn't get excited and try to improve on the technology that came with the new people or learn it. I think we would do just the opposite and try to quickly learn all their technology.
post #16 of 27 Old 05-03-2010, 11:12 AM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granucci View Post
landing strips are not to be overlooked....OK, TMI
Priceless
post #17 of 27 Old 05-03-2010, 12:36 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
I'd say we are advanced enough though that we wouldn't be scared of their technology. Another way of putting it, given our imagination and Hollywood, is there really something that would surprise you? My reaction would be, "Cool this _____ is awesome, let's reverse engineer it." In my opinion, Native American's didn't really embrace the study of science the way Europeans did, so when the new comers arrived, they didn't get excited and try to improve on the technology that came with the new people or learn it. I think we would do just the opposite and try to quickly learn all their technology.
If you gave an 19th century scientist one of our computers, he wouldn't have a clue about how it works, and how to reverse engineer it. That's a small gap of a hundred years. Given that we are probably at least 500 years from being able to travel from star to star (if ever), the gap would be so huge, we'd be in a worse position. It would look like magic to us, because we wouldn't even have the tools to figure out how to examine their stuff, let alone copy it.

Art
post #18 of 27 Old 05-03-2010, 02:26 PM
Owner

There are different forms of communication--thinking WEB like here if not facebook twitter-n-stuff.

But seeing the way that can go...if might be better to delete one's vital stats while talking.....

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #19 of 27 Old 05-03-2010, 03:26 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
It's called "to serve man". Just don't be shocked when we find out it's a cookbook!

anybody get that reference?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #20 of 27 Old 05-03-2010, 03:32 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode