British pubs in a sqeeze ? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 03-21-2010, 01:46 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
British pubs in a sqeeze ?

I heard over the news that coming next month, the British government is placing more restrictions to the pubs to decrease alcohol consumption.
Personally, I hardly drink (altho I can take a lot), I was just curious how the Brits are faring under such pressure, understanding that pubs very much part of the culture there. Any comments ? w/ smiles Jimmy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-21-2010, 12:23 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 134
Brit pubs

IMO - It wont make any difference. Pubs have changed dramatically in the last 30 years. The are no longer the stereotype of yesteryear. Most are eateries and many cater for families with large children's areas. Drink drive laws have changed the behavior of the general populous with most people keeping to the legal limit. In addition the smoking ban has helped influence the change.
Of course there are exceptions. The odd spit n sawdust place still exists although its getting rarer. The other exception is city centre bars ( strictly speaking still pubs but nothing like "Ye olde english pub" of old). The city centre bars are full of kids (18 to 30 yo) and can be dirty, messy,noisy and often violent places. Their only saving grace is the women that frequent these bars seem to compete with each other to wear as little as possible - skirts no bigger than belts, tummys on display etc.

Would be interested to see if other British based FLifers agree with my take on this.

As an aside - I was at a Brit country pub today. In the car park - 2 x Enzo, 1 Zonda, 1 Veyron, 1 Carrera GT, numerous other Fcars, Porkers, Lambos + the odd American muscle. Oh, and Boxers Daytona.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-22-2010, 12:48 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,112
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollenaram550 View Post
IMO - It wont make any difference.. Their only saving grace is the women that frequent these bars seem to compete with each other to wear as little as possible - skirts no bigger than belts, tummys on display etc.

Agreed it wont make much of a difference, some pubs will have to adapt and get creative but generally people still will be going out for a glass of cheer, in fact probably more so knowing that they will not run into the town drunk lol.

As far as the saving grace some clubs maybe are like what you mentioned but todays modern venues are an experience with everything to stimulate your enjoyment pleasure from incredible light shows to unbelievable sound to getting a chance to see the newest up in coming stars of the steel wheels.

But the girls do help

Night life........ain't a good life........but it's my life -- Willy Nelson

post #4 of 6 Old 03-22-2010, 01:31 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollenaram550 View Post
IMO - It wont make any difference. Pubs have changed dramatically in the last 30 years. The are no longer the stereotype of yesteryear. Most are eateries and many cater for families with large children's areas. Drink drive laws have changed the behavior of the general populous with most people keeping to the legal limit. In addition the smoking ban has helped influence the change.
Of course there are exceptions.
+1, don't see it changing anything.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-22-2010, 03:46 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
I just happened to see this in a local news here, syaing that the British government starting to tighten restrictions as to what the pubs there cannot do. w/ smiles Jimmy
post #6 of 6 Old 03-27-2010, 01:27 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 5
That's really good to know.I'm happy with the decision what they have taken.Its very good to ban the pubs.i don't drink.I know its not good for health.

www.maseratilife.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode