Driving in the Alps and surrounding area - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 01-13-2010, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
Driving in the Alps and surrounding area

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granucci View Post

And why in Switzerland? Do you have bus/house there?
I have my home and the fancy cars and some bikes in Switzerland. The Alpine region is THE region for Ferrari driving!

In Spain I keep my expedition car because it is closer to Africa. I also keep the old Buick, a pick-up, some water toys and mainly bikes in Spain. Spain is unfortunately not a good place to keep expensive cars. Fancy cars attract the attention of burglars from Eastern Europe. I arrive and leave at darkness with the Scaglietti and I don't use it during my stay in order not to be victimized. Only in my small region 38 cars per day are stolen. But it is a great country for driving a Ferrari so I do a lot of driving in Spain just not around my house.

Salve,
il Capolino

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-14-2010, 08:51 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,193
Very interesting on the problems and love the toys !!

I have some relatives in Switzerland as well as Lucca area. Will have to, hopefully next couple years depending on this economy, make it there and do some driving.

rik

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #3 of 15 Old 01-14-2010, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
Quote:
Will have to, hopefully next couple years depending on this economy, make it there and do some driving.
rik
Absolutely, I live in Lugano and all the mountain passes are rather nearby. Lots of Ferraris out on the weekends always.
Salve,
il Capolino

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.

post #4 of 15 Old 01-14-2010, 10:06 AM
Owner

Great.....Dolamites would be awsome, too.

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #5 of 15 Old 01-14-2010, 12:22 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
Quote:
Great.....Dolamites would be awsome, too.
The Dolomites have amazing roads - I was blown away when I was there last in the 550. But there are so many other wonderful roads in Europe. The Ardennes in Belgium have wonderful roads, there's the Eiffel and Black Forest in Germany, the undulating roads in the Burgundy region, the Alps in Austria and Switzerland, the Tuscan hills, the Appenines, etc, etc, etc.

Just exclude The Netherlands and you'll have a blast!

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #6 of 15 Old 01-14-2010, 02:07 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Capolino View Post
Absolutely, I live in Lugano and all the mountain passes are rather nearby. Lots of Ferraris out on the weekends always.
Salve,
il Capolino
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post
The Dolomites have amazing roads - I was blown away when I was there last in the 550. But there are so many other wonderful roads in Europe. The Ardennes in Belgium have wonderful roads, there's the Eiffel and Black Forest in Germany, the undulating roads in the Burgundy region, the Alps in Austria and Switzerland, the Tuscan hills, the Appenines, etc, etc, etc.

Just exclude The Netherlands and you'll have a blast!

Onno
Fill me in guys, and I know yo more Onno, but, is it difficult getting across the various countries with your car[s] specifically Ferraris.

I know these countries are not far apart, but could one make a week trip of it and hit most of these places etc.

I've never been and not with a Ferrari, so, just wondering the experience.

I mean the borders, documentation and license plates/ids needed and such..

Can each of you give some general backgrounds on this: Perhaps best in the drivers lounge or such section but I got you both here, now.

PS: I've asked this post to be moved to the driver's lounge area since it is sort of stealing away from OP's original thread...any objections?

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:

Last edited by Granucci; 01-14-2010 at 02:12 PM.
post #7 of 15 Old 01-14-2010, 04:03 PM
Owner

Well, SOMEone [Andrew ] heard my wish. Should keep this thread going concerning mountain or such driving, and in specifics to my questions above regarding European driving and between countries. Doesn't have to be much, but will help those that are trying to plan and understand the adventure.

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #8 of 15 Old 01-14-2010, 09:44 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Quote:
Well, SOMEone [Andrew ] heard my wish. Should keep this thread going concerning mountain or such driving, and in specifics to my questions above regarding European driving and between countries. Doesn't have to be much, but will help those that are trying to plan and understand the adventure.
On the note of mountain driving, there is plenty of that here in the Bay Area. One thing I notice though, is you can drive some really twisty mountains with zero traffic, but you never end up anywhere.

When we did FLED 2 in the Alps, we went from one small vacation town to another (or so it felt like, being the foreigner).

This one of my favorites:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_H...8California%29

365+ turns and I successfully made my passenger sick. You then get some very nice straits if you head towards Livermore followed by several hundred more turns.
post #9 of 15 Old 01-14-2010, 09:58 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by il Capolino View Post
In Spain I keep my expedition car because it is closer to Africa. I also keep the old Buick, a pick-up, some water toys and mainly bikes in Spain. Spain is unfortunately not a good place to keep expensive cars. Fancy cars attract the attention of burglars from Eastern Europe. I arrive and leave at darkness with the Scaglietti and I don't use it during my stay in order not to be victimized. Only in my small region 38 cars per day are stolen. But it is a great country for driving a Ferrari so I do a lot of driving in Spain just not around my house.

Salve,
il Capolino
Agree on Spain. I have also found that Ferraris (and cars in general) don't get a lot of respect especially in the cities. It is hard to find a car in Madrid that doesn't have a dent or scratch marks. There are some great roads however with very little traffic in both Spain and Portugal.
post #10 of 15 Old 01-14-2010, 10:13 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Quote:
Fill me in guys, and I know yo more Onno, but, is it difficult getting across the various countries with your car[s] specifically Ferraris.

I know these countries are not far apart, but could one make a week trip of it and hit most of these places etc.

I've never been and not with a Ferrari, so, just wondering the experience.

I mean the borders, documentation and license plates/ids needed and such..
On the continent borders are no longer a hassle. The Schengen Agreement http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schengen_Agreementeliminated controls in most countires (even Switzerland has joined). You can drive from Prague to Lisbon with out having to show your passport. (however you will need it when you get pulled over for DAFWBP in France) DAFWP = Driving a Ferrari with British Plates.
post #11 of 15 Old 01-14-2010, 11:28 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 49
[quote=il Capolino;108613]I have my home and the fancy cars and some bikes in Switzerland. The Alpine region is THE region for Ferrari driving! /quote]

The Alpine region is great indeed, just a shame that the Swiss have no humor when it comes to cars, contrary to the Italians who accept almost anything as long as you're driving their native brand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
On the continent borders are no longer a hassle. The Schengen Agreement http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schengen_Agreementeliminated controls in most countires (even Switzerland has joined). You can drive from Prague to Lisbon with out having to show your passport. (however you will need it when you get pulled over for DAFWBP in France) DAFWP = Driving a Ferrari with British Plates.

As far as driving in Europe is concerned, just make sure your paperwork is in order. As the borders that still exist they might ask you for your insurance papers. Furthermore, you'll need to buy a Fignet for countries like Austria and Switzerland if you want to drive on the highways.

In Germany you're not allowed to drive in certain cities if your car is too polluting. You'll need an Umweltplakette which indicates how polluting your car is. Certain zones are open for certain categories of cars. I believe it is Green, Yellow, Red and Black or something. The first category is allowed everywhere, for the latter signs indicate if you are allowed to go into the zone.

This all sounds more complicated that it is in actual fact. I've been driving (not all with the F) in the Netherlands, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, France, Italy, Slovenia, Croatia and Serbia without every having any problems.

Regarding favorites, I would have to say the Futa pass during the Mille Miglia was awesome and the Stelvi pass is also a great experience! Can’t wait for the snow to disappear and get my baby out of the garage to put some more k’s on it.

Eve

Bon bini
post #12 of 15 Old 01-15-2010, 02:07 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
This all sounds so wonderful for someone like myself. w/ smiles Jimmy
post #13 of 15 Old 01-15-2010, 05:29 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 32
[/quote] you'll need to buy a Fignet for countries like Austria and Switzerland if you want to drive on the highways.
[/quote]

Vignette - this is a sticker showing you paid the toll for the Autobahn. Switzerland Fr. 40.-- (appr. USD 40.00) for a whole year.

Eric
post #14 of 15 Old 01-15-2010, 09:02 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
Quote:

Not much to add to the previous posters. If the paperwork is in order then there should be little problem. You do, obviously, have a bit of a bulls-eye painted on your car in certain countries; driving a Ferrari with foreign plates (as Boxer mentioned). I have been pulled over several times, and only once for speeding (but let go after a stern speech, there was no proof). The other times (I think about 5 times in all) it was to check my papers and because we were mistaken for the Gumball rally. And my car isn't even red!

So you do have to contend with that occassionally. The second thing to think about is where to park the car. We are not all as paranoid as I am, but I don't like to park my car in sight overnight, or in parking garages. That - in Europe - is a hindrance when travelling because you need to find a hotel with secure parking and not many have that, particularly in towns or cities. So if you go somewhere on a whim you have a bit of stress of finding your baby somewhere to sleep at night.

Other than that - it is a truly special thing and actually very destressing thing to do a road trip with your Ferrari in Europe. It's been a life-long dream of mine that I was lucky enough to put into reality in 2007 (see FLQ7 for that trip). The great thing is Europe itself: so many great roads (and still plenty with little traffic if you know where to go), so many lovely hotels, so many wonderful medieaval towns and castles.

Sitting at the Arno (river through Florence) in the garden of a 16th century villa with a nice Barolo as the sun slowly sets, smelling the olive trees, looking back over your shoulder to see your baby in the parking bay cooling down from a spirited drive through the Tuscan hills.... I tell you, man, it does not get much better than that. Sounds like a movie but I've done it! Villa Massa - I won't forget that squid linguini in a hurry!

Darn - I got myself drooling now.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Attached Images

post #15 of 15 Old 01-15-2010, 10:12 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Onno,
You are so right. Being stuck on an island but still only a stones throw from those fine continental roads can be so depressing! Still your post above reminds me of my own pilgrimage to Maranello in 2007. Over the alps, the fabulous French Riviera and all the fine hotels and roads in between - it really is paradise for those of us who love Ferrari's and the kind of roads that they were designed for.

I'm tempted to drive to the ferry terminal now....

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode