1992 Porsche 964 RS ??? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 12-18-2009, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
1992 Porsche 964 RS ???

I took my Daytona to my friend (car shop) for oil change etc. yesterday. I had to leave the car overnite since they had to order the special Motul oil for it. For my ride back, they let me take this 1992 Porsche 964 RS. I have had minimum ride experience before, but never had the opportunity to drive it myself. Thus, I drove this car back home (around 30 miles or so). I was curious if any of you have had driving experiences of this RS before ?
My impressions: bare bone (almost) minimum creature comforts, looks both in and out are spartan and was designed solely for driving pleasures. Critical factor was weight dead weight reductions, accomplished by thinner glasses, thinner steel, no A/C, even the fog lamps are dummies (facade only). Driving impressions were very impressive, firm clutchwork, short and stiff gearshifts, outstanding brakes and steering responses. This car was made with the purpose to enjoy driving only. Stiff suspensions create perfect handling balance and ride feel. I have to agree with my friend that this RS is destined to become symbolic classic Porsche, if not already one. If anyone own or have driven before, your comments would be of great interest. Thanx in advance. w/ smiles Jimmy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 12-19-2009, 12:17 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
I've heard nothing but good stories about these. Unfortunately have not driven one myself. Vitalone, our resident Porsche expert, might give some insight.

But I love its looks, classic 911 with a sprinkling of '90ies sportscar.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 16 Old 12-19-2009, 01:26 AM
IPF
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 290
Same here, love the looks.

Never drove one myself, but just happened hear about it a few months ago from a German colleague of mine who's a bit of a Porsche-collector. Last year he purchased one specifically for track use (he keeps it stored near the Nurburgring) and he is really wild about its uncompromising raw ride quality and razor sharp handling.

Are you by any chance tempted to purchase one, Jimmy? Would sure be a cool addition to the scuderia. For what it's worth, check this out: http://www.porsche964.co.uk/variants/964_rs.htm

Irvin

A horse is a horse, of course, of course, and no one can talk to a horse of course. That is, of course, unless the horse is the famous Mister F.

post #4 of 16 Old 12-19-2009, 02:55 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPF View Post
Same here, love the looks.

Never drove one myself, but just happened hear about it a few months ago from a German colleague of mine who's a bit of a Porsche-collector. Last year he purchased one specifically for track use (he keeps it stored near the Nurburgring) and he is really wild about its uncompromising raw ride quality and razor sharp handling.

Are you by any chance tempted to purchase one, Jimmy? Would sure be a cool addition to the scuderia. For what it's worth, check this out: http://www.porsche964.co.uk/variants/964_rs.htm

Irvin
Thanx, Irvin. Went over the specs and impressed furthermore. This is no "ordinary" Porsche. This car demands respect and the rewards are pure driver's joy ! What is amazing is what the designers went thru in order to do everything they can to reduce body weight. Personally, I like different cars for different reasons. Absolute power or speed is not my prime interest. This Porsche has meagerly 260 HP but the concept and total package is nothing but impressive. If anyone of you get a chance to drive one, I highly recommend it. w/ smiles Jimmy
post #5 of 16 Old 12-20-2009, 01:55 AM
Owner

260bhp is not that little - back in the early '90ies it was pretty special to have that sort of power. Cars were a lot lighter then and they didn't need all that much bhp. My brother's Delta Integrale was one impressive machine. He had it chipped to around 240bhp and it was seriously quick when the turbo spooled up. The other thing is, also: because of a lack of sound proofing in older cars, it is easier to appreciate the speed at which you are travelling. 100km/h is seriously fast if you're approaching a tree - and in a 20 year old car it feels like it is quite some speed even on the highway. But in a modern car it feels like nothing. Even 200 km/h is not that impressive. For this reason I think a) older cars are more fun to drive because although you might be slower you are more impressed by how quick you are going, and b) modern (performance) cars are crashed more often just because people don't realise how fast they're really going.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #6 of 16 Old 12-20-2009, 02:29 AM
IPF
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post
260bhp is not that little - back in the early '90ies it was pretty special to have that sort of power. Cars were a lot lighter then and they didn't need all that much bhp. My brother's Delta Integrale was one impressive machine. He had it chipped to around 240bhp and it was seriously quick when the turbo spooled up. The other thing is, also: because of a lack of sound proofing in older cars, it is easier to appreciate the speed at which you are travelling. 100km/h is seriously fast if you're approaching a tree - and in a 20 year old car it feels like it is quite some speed even on the highway. But in a modern car it feels like nothing. Even 200 km/h is not that impressive. For this reason I think a) older cars are more fun to drive because although you might be slower you are more impressed by how quick you are going, and b) modern (performance) cars are crashed more often just because people don't realise how fast they're really going.
+1! On all accounts:

Let's not forget that Ferrari's 1989 V8 (the 328) had a 'mere' 270 PS (260 for US spec even). With a mass of 1273 kg (Euro-spec, GTB), the power to mass ratio is similar to that of the 964 RS (weighing in at 1230 kg).

Speed sensation is indeed far greather though. Recently covered the same stretch of A3 Autobahn in Germany at 250 km/h+ in both my 328 and (2007) BMW. Worlds apart. Though both stay 'planted' at that type of velocity, in the 328 the sensation is epic, while in the Bimmer it's merely taking care of business (rapidly, granted).

The final point - people losing track of their real speed due to sound and vibration proofing, thus endangering themselves and traffic in general - I think may be exacerbated by the ease with which modern cars handle. Power-this, power-that, electronic governance and control systems galore: yet ultimately it's the same strips of rubber glueing one to the road... or not!

A horse is a horse, of course, of course, and no one can talk to a horse of course. That is, of course, unless the horse is the famous Mister F.
post #7 of 16 Old 12-20-2009, 04:12 AM
Owner

Another case in point - the amount of fun I had in my mother's 1994 Alfa 33 Quadrifoglio. 160bhp in 870kg if I remember correctly - that thing was GREAT fun. Come to think of it - that was the first Boxer engine I drove. Gearbox was rubbish, though.

Onno

post #8 of 16 Old 12-20-2009, 05:51 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 300
Jimmy sounds good and all but with no air con stuck in traffic in Tokyo r u sure about this ?

Cheers
D
post #9 of 16 Old 12-20-2009, 05:56 PM
Owner

I've had a couple of 911's before yes they are nice and very easy to drive, but u and i both in asia with no air con or heater doesn't sound like a good deal in Tokyo Jimbo so cold in winter yet so stuffy in summer.

Cheers
D
post #10 of 16 Old 12-21-2009, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
Owner

David, good to hear from you. Maybe I am a bit masochistic and like torture and harsh conditions ? My F cars have no A/C !!! Daytona does have one, but I do not bother to fix it, BB also.
I must claim that among the cars, my Abarth is the "worst" of them all. That one is a real sauna condition in summer heat. Oh well.
I still remember my former 355 had excellent A/C. ...
w/ smiles Jimmy
post #11 of 16 Old 12-21-2009, 06:28 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Chen Shiba DDS View Post
David, good to hear from you. Maybe I am a bit masochistic and like torture and harsh conditions ? My F cars have no A/C !!! Daytona does have one, but I do not bother to fix it, BB also.
I must claim that among the cars, my Abarth is the "worst" of them all. That one is a real sauna condition in summer heat. Oh well.
I still remember my former 355 had excellent A/C. ...
w/ smiles Jimmy
Interesting brother, well if i have a Daytona or a BB i won't give a sxxt either haha... but that RS u were asking, you should get it, is one sick ride!

p.s Jimmy you have to take some pics for us to enjoy mate.
Cheers
D
post #12 of 16 Old 12-22-2009, 01:50 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 125
Are there any Pics of the RS?

Novitec Rosso authorized dealer.

www.shopsat.com

Specialty Automotive Treatments
700 W Sunrise Blvd.
Fort Lauderdale, Fl 33311
(954) SAT-1234
post #13 of 16 Old 12-22-2009, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Sorry boys, I shall remember to take some pics when I am back at the shop. w/ smiles Jimmy
post #14 of 16 Old 01-05-2010, 07:53 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,130
Ah the 964RS, a superb driving machine as you say Jimmy. Like many great cars this car divides opinion strongly. Some owners keep them for a few months before reselling others keep them for a long time. It is as much a wolf in lamb's clothing as a 911 can be, looking similar to a 964 C2 or C4 to the extent of not even having a big wing at the back like most hairy 911's.

However this is very much a racing car for the road, weighing in at 1230kg with a rigid, seam-welded body, lowered and adjustable suspension, rolled wheel arches, blueprinted motor, closer ratio gearbox, magnesium wheels, sports exhaust, thinner glass and single mass flywheel. I had the pleasure of driving 2 during the same day during a recent visit to Johannesburg.

First up a rhd specimen. Compared to the lhd, the rhd suffers the disadvantages of power steering, smaller fuel tank and very closely spaced pedals. This one had the standard 964 exhaust system and sounded and felt good until I took my friend's lhd example for a long drive home. The lhd car is completely original, very rare for a 964RS as most have been fiddled with. Well what a revelation! Much nicer driving position than rhd, more pedal space and the unassisted steering reminds me of the early 911's for feel and responsiveness. Very fast, an engine note of aggression and music filling the cabin and go-cart responses from the steering. More intimidating than the rhd car with it louder exhaust and more repsonsive steering. The stiffened body makes a big difference with the car feeling taut and together. No rattles whatsoever despite a firm set up. Ride surprisingly good as I expected a bone-jarring ride given period UK road tests-they panned the car for being too hard for the road. I found the ride no worse than the 930.

Like many a 911, the bare figures deceive, as in the real world this car is much faster than the figures would suggest. A combination of lightness with a torquey 3.6 motor that loves to rev. Instant repsonse in any gear. This car would kill the 930 despite giving away 40 hp and losing up to 17% of its power at the high altitude of Joburg (the 930 might only give away 1-2% thanks to its turbo compensating for the thinner air).

Prices have doubled over the past 5 years and I can understand why, it is rare, has racing pedigree and is thrilling to drive. And very fast to boot. Many have been crashed and/or modified. I say if it is a good one Jimmy, go for it!
post #15 of 16 Old 01-05-2010, 08:04 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
So you like the 964RS then Vitalone??

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #16 of 16 Old 01-05-2010, 10:36 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 439
I drove the same 964RS that Vitalone drove - it belongs to a friend of ours.

I must say that it may just be the best all-round car I have ever driven. Massively quick and competent whilst robust enough to use every day.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode