Chinese language - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 12-11-2009, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Chinese language

Has anyone ever listened to people speaking Chinese? The Chinese accent sounds so cute when they speak English. But when they talk amongst themselves it really sounds like they are mad. My girlfriend called her mother tonight just to let her know our flight was going to be delayed. I'm listening to this and of course I don't understand a word but I'm thinking, "Wow, you talk to your Mother like that?" She told me she was just talking about how she was having a good time here and that she was glad the flight was delayed so she could spend extra time here and not to worry about her and everything was fine but listening to it I was thinking she should wash her mouth out with soap. Chinese is not a pretty language.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 12-11-2009, 04:42 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete04222 View Post
Chinese is not a pretty language.

If you think the language is ugly, don't look at the food.

Lane

Previous owner of 348ts SS #64, Now Ferrariless
post #3 of 17 Old 12-11-2009, 04:44 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Quote:
Has anyone ever listened to people speaking Chinese? The Chinese accent sounds so cute when they speak English. But when they talk amongst themselves it really sounds like they are mad. My girlfriend called her mother tonight just to let her know our flight was going to be delayed. I'm listening to this and of course I don't understand a word but I'm thinking, "Wow, you talk to your Mother like that?" She told me she was just talking about how she was having a good time here and that she was glad the flight was delayed so she could spend extra time here and not to worry about her and everything was fine but listening to it I was thinking she should wash her mouth out with soap. Chinese is not a pretty language.
She must be from the southern Chinese region, probably speaks the Cantonese dialect, which is quite vocal and unrefined (kinda fun to listen, tho).
Well, Pete, you still have a ton to learn, at least about Chinese. Being a huge country with overspilling population, several major dialects coexist, such as Cantonese, Shanghainese, Mandarin, etc. They are like totally different languages, ie. Mandarin speaking cannot understand Cantonese, and vice versa. My folks are from northeast and thus I speak Mandarin, which is more "refined" and not as harsh to listen to. There's your Chinese 101. Where should I send the bill ? Have a safe trip back. w/ smiles Jimmy

Last edited by Italian Lover; 12-11-2009 at 04:48 PM. Reason: spelling correction

post #4 of 17 Old 12-11-2009, 06:44 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Quote:
Pete,

If you are headed back to the Philippines can you knock off a few spammers for me while you are there? Everyday I have to delete 5 accounts in the 121.x.x.x ip range because someone in Manila actually think we are going to click the crap they post. Its annoying, please look into it.

Oh, and agree on the Chinese thing. When I first moved to SF I was on the Chinatown/North Beach border. This one lady could really yell at her husband when she wasn't happy with him. And the last syllable of every word lasted 5 seconds.
post #5 of 17 Old 12-11-2009, 07:14 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,008
5 accounts in the Philippines? There aren't that many Ferraris in the entire country.

post #6 of 17 Old 12-11-2009, 09:43 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neonzapper View Post
5 accounts in the Philippines? There aren't that many Ferraris in the entire country.
I'm off to the phils in a couple of weeks, think it will be easier to find the ferraris than the spammers. If I post from there, don't ban me thinking I'm a spammer
post #7 of 17 Old 12-11-2009, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Chen Shiba DDS View Post
She must be from the southern Chinese region, probably speaks the Cantonese dialect, which is quite vocal and unrefined (kinda fun to listen, tho).
Well, Pete, you still have a ton to learn, at least about Chinese. Being a huge country with overspilling population, several major dialects coexist, such as Cantonese, Shanghainese, Mandarin, etc. They are like totally different languages, ie. Mandarin speaking cannot understand Cantonese, and vice versa. My folks are from northeast and thus I speak Mandarin, which is more "refined" and not as harsh to listen to. There's your Chinese 101. Where should I send the bill ? Have a safe trip back. w/ smiles Jimmy
Jimmy, Actually it is Hokkien (福建话) I believe it is from Taiwan rather than mainland China because she talks about wanting to take me to Taiwan. So you probably wouldn't be able to understand it either. Hokkien is what is spoken by the ethnic Chinese in Singapore. It is not a pretty language. I go into a shop and the saleslady sounds like she is totally bitching out this other customer in Chinese and then turns to me and as pleasant as can be says, "Help you.....can?" And she sounds lovely.

The other thing Chinese Singaporeans do that I thought was kind of cute at first but now annoys me is that when they answer the phone it is not, "Hello?" it is, "Yes. Why?" Basically meaning yes I'm here and why did you call me. Not trying to be rude, they want to know what they can do for you.

I'm ready for Chinese 102. About 14 years ago I spent some time in Shekou, Shenzhen and Hainan. What would they be speaking there?

Capt. Pete
post #8 of 17 Old 12-12-2009, 02:27 AM
Owner

Quote:
Jimmy, Actually it is Hokkien (福建话) I believe it is from Taiwan rather than mainland China because she talks about wanting to take me to Taiwan. So you probably wouldn't be able to understand it either. Hokkien is what is spoken by the ethnic Chinese in Singapore. It is not a pretty language. I go into a shop and the saleslady sounds like she is totally bitching out this other customer in Chinese and then turns to me and as pleasant as can be says, "Help you.....can?" And she sounds lovely.

The other thing Chinese Singaporeans do that I thought was kind of cute at first but now annoys me is that when they answer the phone it is not, "Hello?" it is, "Yes. Why?" Basically meaning yes I'm here and why did you call me. Not trying to be rude, they want to know what they can do for you.

I'm ready for Chinese 102. About 14 years ago I spent some time in Shekou, Shenzhen and Hainan. What would they be speaking there?
You made me giggle, Pete. There you go, Taiwan has Mandarin (Chinese from mainland) and the native Taiwan dialect. Agree, not pretty to listen or even be near one.
1) The saleslady,...maybe she had an interest in you personally ?
2) As for the "why", maybe you are misunderstanding totally. Usually, they say "Wei ?" (sounds like why, I guess), which means Hello.
3) Don't even bother with Chinese 102, Pete. I don't think you can overcome the basic four different intonations for every single sound, making them mean totally different. It is like saying "beer" in four different intonations meaning four different things. Just be happy that you only need to deal with the alphabets.
Have Fun, Pete. w/ smiles JImmy
post #9 of 17 Old 12-12-2009, 03:26 AM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
You made me giggle, Pete. There you go, Taiwan has Mandarin (Chinese from mainland) and the native Taiwan dialect. Agree, not pretty to listen or even be near one.
And to think I've been dating one for over a year!
Quote:
1) The saleslady,...maybe she had an interest in you personally ?
Well, I am a Caucasian in Asia so it is immediately assumed that I am either working there or on vacation. Either way they know I must have a good job or I wouldn't be there. I am treated differently over there and sometimes it is embarrassing. When I am flying business class I expect to be waved to the front of the line. But when I'm just Pete standing at a hawker stand I don't want to be treated any different than anyone else.
Quote:
2) As for the "why", maybe you are misunderstanding totally. Usually, they say "Wei ?" (sounds like why, I guess), which means Hello.
Thanks for that clarification Jimmy. I've got a Canadian buddy who lives in Singapore also and this bugs him. I'll ask my girlfriend about it.
Quote:
3) Don't even bother with Chinese 102, Pete. I don't think you can overcome the basic four different intonations for every single sound, making them mean totally different. It is like saying "beer" in four different intonations meaning four different things. Just be happy that you only need to deal with the alphabets.
Have Fun, Pete. w/ smiles JImmy
No, I agree. I can't get the pronunciation right. I could try to say, "I would like a beer please." and what they would hear is me saying, "My goat is ill."

I have been learning some of the Chinese characters though. I can recognize some of them and write some of them and I've been told my writing is good. But I only know what they mean in English. I don't know what they mean in Chinese.

Capt. Pete
post #10 of 17 Old 12-12-2009, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
As for the "why", maybe you are misunderstanding totally. Usually, they say "Wei ?" (sounds like why, I guess), which means Hello.
Update Jimmy, I checked with my G/F (who's name is Yoon Sum) and she verified that Wei does mean Hello on the phone. She said it should be followed by "Quin wen shuai" which translates into "May I know"

Capt. Pete
post #11 of 17 Old 12-12-2009, 12:17 PM
Owner

Quote:
Update Jimmy, I checked with my G/F (who's name is Yoon Sum) and she verified that Wei does mean Hello on the phone. She said it should be followed by "Quin wen shuai" which translates into "May I know"
Looks like we're gonna see Pete making posts with his newly acquired Chinese ? You can swear/ tear and BS in Chinese, Pete, nobody would understand you. w/ smiles Jimmy
post #12 of 17 Old 12-12-2009, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Looks like we're gonna see Pete making posts with his newly acquired Chinese ? You can swear/ tear and BS in Chinese, Pete, nobody would understand you. w/ smiles Jimmy
Hey Jimmy, 您能吮我的阴茎!!!!
But you are correct. My girlfriend has tried teaching me words but I just can't get them right. Nobody understands me anyway. I'll just stick with ni hau and xie xie and tai gui le and use English for everything else. If I tried to learn to speak Chinese I would just end up inventing my own language.

Capt. Pete
post #13 of 17 Old 12-12-2009, 04:54 PM
Owner

Quote:
Hey Jimmy, 您能吮我的阴茎!!!!
But you are correct. My girlfriend has tried teaching me words but I just can't get them right. Nobody understands me anyway. I'll just stick with ni hau and xie xie and tai gui le and use English for everything else. If I tried to learn to speak Chinese I would just end up inventing my own language.
Pete, if you wish to keep your VIP and royal treatment, stay with your english, otherwise, you would get rat treatment. w/ smiles Jimmy
post #14 of 17 Old 12-12-2009, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Pete, if you wish to keep your VIP and royal treatment, stay with your english, otherwise, you would get rat treatment. w/ smiles Jimmy

Capt. Pete
post #15 of 17 Old 12-12-2009, 05:00 PM
Owner

Quote:
Glad to be able to confirm that you still have "common senses", Pete ! w/ smiles Jimmy
post #16 of 17 Old 12-16-2009, 02:07 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Bastage View Post
If you think the language is ugly, don't look at the food.
One thing I learned don't ask whats in the food. The food ain't that bad.

Novitec Rosso authorized dealer.

www.shopsat.com

Specialty Automotive Treatments
700 W Sunrise Blvd.
Fort Lauderdale, Fl 33311
(954) SAT-1234
post #17 of 17 Old 12-16-2009, 03:01 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,193
Quote:

+1, yup the south as Taiwanese tend to sound like they are shouting.

Mandarin is too laid back and only has four tones while Taiwanese has seven. Same written language as much but not in spoken.

I do not know Taiwanese, only some Mandarin and lived there a few years.

ming tien jen, pengyou

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode