Finding my fathers freinds - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 12-10-2009, 06:08 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,839
Finding my fathers freinds

Recently reading about the loss of a local track owner Bill Scott (summit point) makes me remember my father lost to an on track incident at Limerock Park in 1963. It appears that my father and Bill may have shared some asphalt. They were of the approximate same age, both attended Yale, and both shared a passion for racing. My father, Lee Baker, was the flag marshall for the SCCA New York region. He passed on July 3rd when the Lotus he was in left the track.

I was but 3 years old at the time and therefore never really knew my father. My mother remarried 2 years later and never discussed the incident on track or virually any part of my fathers storied life. How nice it would be to meet up with someone that knew him to listen to a story or 2. I've tried with Sam Posey, Skip Barber, and Jim Haynes but none recall him specifically.

With Bill's passing, it occurs to me that I have potentially missed another source and opportunity to learn something of my father. I wonder if others on this forum may have some recolllection of the times spent at Watkins Glen, Bridgehampton, or Limerock back in the early 60's that may include memories of him.

Here's some detail that may help jog a memory. Presented to my father immediately prior to the fateful incident on July 3rd. To me it indicates a profound respect and love for him by the presenters. It hangs proudly in my office as one of the very few momento's I have. He was a graduate of Yale in 1953, an Engineer at IBM, and the father of a 3 year old son and a 4 year old daughter. He drove a Sunbeam Alpine and lived in Southern Connecticut.

Being the owner of a Ferrari, I too suffer the affliction of a passion for all things fast. I spent many an adolecent summer in the 70's camped in the outfield of Limerock and hanging around the paddock with great men like Newman, Posey, Donahue, Gregg. I continue to visit the park a few days every year to enjoy the most interesting events including ALMS, Rolex, IMSA, and SCCA activities. Having being given the opportunity to cruise the track on a few occasions as a passenger and participant in "parade Laps", I have turned each opportunity down. I find it difficult to balance the desire to participate with my melancholly recollections. Either way, I'm sure it would be difficult to pay attention.
Attached Images

Lane

Previous owner of 348ts SS #64, Now Ferrariless

Last edited by Saint Bastage; 12-10-2009 at 06:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-10-2009, 09:50 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
Touching story. I hope you find out more about your dad. Best of luck.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 11 Old 12-10-2009, 10:10 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,193
Hope for the best in your search. I'll try to gather whatever I can in my journeys

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan

post #4 of 11 Old 12-10-2009, 10:31 AM
Owner
Sponsor

Ferrari Life Posts: 107
I forwarded your story to a few friends that were deeply involved in SCCA at the time....
post #5 of 11 Old 12-10-2009, 11:40 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post
Touching story. I hope you find out more about your dad. Best of luck.

Onno
..+1

Archie
post #6 of 11 Old 12-10-2009, 12:05 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,354
Was your dad a driver too or mainly into the flag marshal duties?
post #7 of 11 Old 12-10-2009, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKRace View Post
Was your dad a driver too or mainly into the flag marshal duties?

Not really sure how much he did. His car was depicted in the painting as #53 so I assume there was at least some driving. I believe that was also his DD and the 53 correlates to his grad year from Yale.

My only source of information was my grandmother who never really liked to talk about that part of his personal life. Perhaps because thats what was his final undoing? She passed in 1998 leaving me with no source of information.

I never even thought of approaching this forum about this until Bill Scott died last week. While reading a bit about his life I saw some obvious overlaps suggesting that Bill may well have known Dad. In trying to be more than just another voice in the crowd in Bill's thread, I tried to make things a bit more personal by sharing my story. A few posters suggested they might have a source or 2 they might ask. Out of respect for Bill, I thought it more appropriate to seperate my quest from his thread. Sure would be interesting to find someone.

Lane

Last edited by Saint Bastage; 12-10-2009 at 12:41 PM.
post #8 of 11 Old 12-10-2009, 01:10 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Bastage View Post
Not really sure how much he did. His car was depicted in the painting as #53 so I assume there was at least some driving. I believe that was also his DD and the 53 correlates to his grad year from Yale.

My only source of information was my grandmother who never really liked to talk about that part of his personal life. Perhaps because thats what was his final undoing? She passed in 1998 leaving me with no source of information.

I never even thought of approaching this forum about this until Bill Scott died last week. While reading a bit about his life I saw some obvious overlaps suggesting that Bill may well have known Dad. In trying to be more than just another voice in the crowd in Bill's thread, I tried to make things a bit more personal by sharing my story. A few posters suggested they might have a source or 2 they might ask. Out of respect for Bill, I thought it more appropriate to seperate my quest from his thread. Sure would be interesting to find someone.
I am going to pass along the info to some of the guys I know that have been around the tracks for a while. Thats why I was asking.

If he was a Lime Rock guy I was thinking the historic races Labor Day weekend would have been a great place to start.
post #9 of 11 Old 12-10-2009, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKRace View Post
If he was a Lime Rock guy I was thinking the historic races Labor Day weekend would have been a great place to start.
I'm almost always there. Missed it this year for Kid reasons.

Lane

post #10 of 11 Old 12-12-2009, 06:57 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 642
I asked my dad when he started racing in the NE (LR, Bridgehampton and Bryar) and, unfortunately, it wasn't until April '64. We'll ask some of my dad's racing dinosaur buddies and keep my our open.
post #11 of 11 Old 12-13-2009, 07:42 AM
FBI
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 310
Wishing you my best Lane. I hope something comes out of this.

Cheers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode