Google hijacked my computer - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 12-09-2009, 02:54 AM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Google hijacked my computer

I've always used the Microsoft internet explorer as my web browser. I was downloading some games from RealArcade and of course like an idiot I just clicked yes on everything.

One of them was "Do you want to install the Google toolbar?". I hit the yes and immediately realised I'd made a mistake but it was too late.

So now my Microsoft Internet Explorer is gone. I can't get it back. I click on it but when it opens it just locks up. I can't do anything. The web browser I've got on my computer now is called "Google Chrome". Automatically installed previously by some other bonehead click I made.

Google hijacked my computer.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-09-2009, 03:22 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 460
IE sucks bad---I switched to Mozilla Firefox a few years ago and never have any issues. I heard Chrome is very good...
post #3 of 8 Old 12-09-2009, 05:25 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by 285ferrari View Post
IE sucks bad---I switched to Mozilla Firefox a few years ago and never have any issues. I heard Chrome is very good...
I switched to Firefox a couple years ago too, it's good.

post #4 of 8 Old 12-25-2009, 09:46 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1
Technological advance has only seemed to make life more difficult. Whether you've been hijacked by Google or some other entity masquerading as Google or are a victim of faulty software installers is hard to say. It's hard to believe that Google would be so blatantly reprehensible although not completely impossible.

There is an underground war being waged in information technology and there are no battle lines drawn. Over approximately 85% of the new malware being created is undetectable by antiviruses. I would also guess near that percentage of personal computers are infected with hidden malware. It could be part of the browser wars or someone who holds disdain for Microsoft or maybe an unknown motive in disguise. There is no easy solution for this.

You could research software to clean your computer and remember that there is rogue antimalware that does not work or just infects your computer worse. Also there is nothing available that will be able to totally clean all infections on any pc.

You can submit a request to tech help forum and they may be able to help but you should know that tech forums will only help so long as there is an identifiable problem. If there is malware on your computer which causes random problems or is hidden while it data mines your information they most likely will not be able to help. You may even be told sometime that you need to format and reinstall but even that can be unpredictable because there is software designed to remain hidden on a formatted drive until an operating system is reinstalled at which time it repropogates.

I think probably the most efficient way of dealing with the problem will be for users to get to know the inner workings of their operating system better by using tools to figure out what's supposed to be running and what other processes they are supposed to be hooked to, especially the processes that control networking devices and the possible vulnerabilities. It would also be helpful if a more power-user friendly operating system were developed that allowed much more investigative tinkering without worrying so much about protecting copyrighted information.
post #5 of 8 Old 12-25-2009, 11:05 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
I use Firefox too. IE 7 and 8 caused major freezing issues with Vista Pro. Switched to Firefox about 2 months ago and had no problems since

Archie
post #6 of 8 Old 12-25-2009, 11:10 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,154
I would suggest using mozilla firefox as well, no issues for me. If you know how to restore your computer, that would be my suggestion. Click on Start, then click on help and support. There is a line that describes restoring your computer. By doing this, you can pick a date prior to your download of the google crap and restore your computer to that date. When it is finished, your computer is as it was on that date and thus, no google crap. If you do not want to do that, try deleting the program by going to the control panel and click on installed programs. When it loads, look for that google browser and simply delete it.
post #7 of 8 Old 12-25-2009, 08:37 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,874
I would have to completely agree with everyone. I have been using Firefox for years and it is light years better than IE.

To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.-Anatole France
"Dude, it's just math"-Pete
post #8 of 8 Old 12-26-2009, 01:46 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,112
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete04222 View Post
I've always used the Microsoft internet explorer as my web browser. I was downloading some games from RealArcade and of course like an idiot I just clicked yes on everything.

One of them was "Do you want to install the Google toolbar?". I hit the yes and immediately realised I'd made a mistake but it was too late.

So now my Microsoft Internet Explorer is gone. I can't get it back. I click on it but when it opens it just locks up. I can't do anything. The web browser I've got on my computer now is called "Google Chrome". Automatically installed previously by some other bonehead click I made.

Google hijacked my computer.
OOOOOOOOh that sucks I remember that happening to me a couple of years ago then someone stole my laptop problem solved

Night life........ain't a good life........but it's my life -- Willy Nelson

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode