Concept of ownership - Ferrari Life
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 10-16-2009, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member
 
Pete04222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: USA & Singapore
Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Concept of ownership

In Singapore you don't actually own anything. You get a property and lease it from the government for 99 years and they can still relocate you if they want to tear down your house to put up a new building or a road or subway or something.

So I'm sitting in my house in Maine with my Singapore girlfriend and we are watching the ghost stories on TV because that is what they show in October. I've driven her around and shown her the graveyards and all the scary places in New England. She's watching this show and she's scared. She's like, "Why don't they tear those scary places down?" I'm like, "Because they are historic."

Then I tell her that we don't tear down stuff just because we don't like it and the house we are in will be around for at least 300 years. She's like, "How do you know? You just built it lah. You are original owner lah." and I'm like, "That's just the way it is. I can drive you around the corner and show you 5 farmhouses that are 200 years old."

She was like, "So you are telling me that your great-great-grand kids could live in this house and they wouldn't have to pay anything?" I said, "Yes."

She was amazed. The fact that you can actually own something forever. Something that survives you. You still own it even after you are dead.

The concept of true ownership was new to her. It was amazing to see it dawning upon her. She now wants to buy land in Maine. Lakefront property that she can own and no one can ever take away from her.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
Pete04222 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 Old 10-16-2009, 07:34 PM
 
Chrishawk4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Ferrari Life Posts: 3,874
That is very cool Pete. It just shows you we sometimes take things for granted. Although, I don't own much. I am also leasing my car....damn. That wouldn't make it 200 years anyways.

To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.-Anatole France
"Dude, it's just math"-Pete
Chrishawk4 is offline  
post #3 of 17 Old 10-16-2009, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member
 
Pete04222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: USA & Singapore
Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrishawk4 View Post
That is very cool Pete. It just shows you we sometimes take things for granted. Although, I don't own much. I am also leasing my car....damn. That wouldn't make it 200 years anyways.
Yeah, when the concept of ownership struck her it struck me also. She thought it was incredible that you can actually own land outright independant of the government.

And Chris, don't worry about leasing the car. At your stage it is probably better than owning and hell, you're getting a new car in a year! I'm still stuck with my old wreck.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
Pete04222 is offline  
 
post #4 of 17 Old 10-16-2009, 07:51 PM
 
Chrishawk4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Ferrari Life Posts: 3,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete04222 View Post
Yeah, when the concept of ownership struck her it struck me also. She thought it was incredible that you can actually own land outright independant of the government.

And Chris, don't worry about leasing the car. At your stage it is probably better than owning and hell, you're getting a new car in a year! I'm still stuck with my old wreck.
Yea, I suppose that is true. I might lease again, because I will have no money to buy. Although, I have had this recent yearning for a Miata and they are in the low $6k. I still have until next November I believe. Like I said I'd trade for the old wreck

To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.-Anatole France
"Dude, it's just math"-Pete
Chrishawk4 is offline  
post #5 of 17 Old 10-16-2009, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member
 
Pete04222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: USA & Singapore
Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrishawk4 View Post
Yea, I suppose that is true. I might lease again, because I will have no money to buy. Although, I have had this recent yearning for a Miata and they are in the low $6k. I still have until next November I believe. Like I said I'd trade for the old wreck
I think the Miata would be good. For my Chinese girl that is her 3rd favorite car. First is the VW Beetle. Second is the Mr. Bean Car. (Cooper Mini in yellow), third is the Miata.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
Pete04222 is offline  
post #6 of 17 Old 10-16-2009, 08:01 PM
 
Chrishawk4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Ferrari Life Posts: 3,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete04222 View Post
I think the Miata would be good. For my Chinese girl that is her 3rd favorite car. First is the VW Beetle. Second is the Mr. Bean Car. (Cooper Mini in yellow), third is the Miata.
Yea, I have heard it is a blast to drive, good gas mileage, and I don't really need more than two seats and a small trunk. Who knows what I'll want at that point. Although, a Miata was almost my first car.

To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.-Anatole France
"Dude, it's just math"-Pete
Chrishawk4 is offline  
post #7 of 17 Old 10-16-2009, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member
 
Pete04222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: USA & Singapore
Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrishawk4 View Post
Yea, I have heard it is a blast to drive, good gas mileage, and I don't really need more than two seats and a small trunk. Who knows what I'll want at that point. Although, a Miata was almost my first car.
I had a buddy that was all over Miata's and had his and hers Miatas and they were both set up for racing. If you don't need a truck to replace the Cobalt I think you might be happy with the Miata. Test drive one and let us know what you think.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
Pete04222 is offline  
post #8 of 17 Old 10-16-2009, 08:08 PM
 
Chrishawk4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Ferrari Life Posts: 3,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete04222 View Post
I had a buddy that was all over Miata's and had his and hers Miatas and they were both set up for racing. If you don't need a truck to replace the Cobalt I think you might be happy with the Miata. Test drive one and let us know what you think.
Will do. Hopefully they depreciate a bit more by next November so that I wouldn't have to take to big of a loan out. I hate owing people money.

To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.-Anatole France
"Dude, it's just math"-Pete
Chrishawk4 is offline  
post #9 of 17 Old 10-16-2009, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member
 
Pete04222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: USA & Singapore
Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrishawk4 View Post
Will do. Hopefully they depreciate a bit more by next November so that I wouldn't have to take to big of a loan out. I hate owing people money.
The Honda S2000 is also a good car in the price range. Look into that one also.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
Pete04222 is offline  
post #10 of 17 Old 10-16-2009, 08:27 PM
 
Chrishawk4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Ferrari Life Posts: 3,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete04222 View Post
The Honda S2000 is also a good car in the price range. Look into that one also.
I do like those more and have looked but in my area they are priced at over $10,000.

To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.-Anatole France
"Dude, it's just math"-Pete
Chrishawk4 is offline  
post #11 of 17 Old 10-16-2009, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member
 
Pete04222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: USA & Singapore
Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrishawk4 View Post
I do like those more and have looked but in my area they are priced at over $10,000.
OK, stick with the Miata search. You'll do well and find the right car.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
Pete04222 is offline  
post #12 of 17 Old 10-16-2009, 08:37 PM
 
Chrishawk4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Ferrari Life Posts: 3,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete04222 View Post
OK, stick with the Miata search. You'll do well and find the right car.
I will. Not too many on the market right now. (which is good) I hope more will be next year.

To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.-Anatole France
"Dude, it's just math"-Pete
Chrishawk4 is offline  
post #13 of 17 Old 10-16-2009, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member
 
Pete04222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: USA & Singapore
Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrishawk4 View Post
I will. Not too many on the market right now. (which is good) I hope more will be next year.
We just looked at a red one in Topsham, Maine the other day they were asking $4k for. We didn't drive it or anything but it looked good.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
Pete04222 is offline  
post #14 of 17 Old 10-17-2009, 02:39 AM
Owner
 
Night Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Regina, Canada
Ferrari Life Posts: 2,112
Garage
Chris normally I would tear you a new one for wanting a Miata but I know you are a hard working man and deserve all you desire including a 355

Besides one of my many GF drove a Miata and I use to take it out, I was very surprised on how incredibly well it handled, the weight ratio was a true 50/50 it handled as well as my 911............but nothing close to a Ferrari

Night life........ain't a good life........but it's my life -- Willy Nelson
Night Life is offline  
post #15 of 17 Old 10-17-2009, 06:50 AM
 
Chrishawk4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Ferrari Life Posts: 3,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Life View Post
Chris normally I would tear you a new one for wanting a Miata but I know you are a hard working man and deserve all you desire including a 355

Besides one of my many GF drove a Miata and I use to take it out, I was very surprised on how incredibly well it handled, the weight ratio was a true 50/50 it handled as well as my 911............but nothing close to a Ferrari
Haha why thank you. I would rather get a Trans Am or WRX, but they are too much and maintenance is just to darn much.

To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.-Anatole France
"Dude, it's just math"-Pete
Chrishawk4 is offline  
post #16 of 17 Old 10-17-2009, 01:18 PM
Owner
 
Fiorano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Europe
Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Chris,
My first proper sports car was a Miata (called an MX5 over here). It was a 1992 model (the original model) and I bought it in 1996. I still own it - it was my first true love (thank God my wife doesn't read this forum ).

They are a great car, completely underpowered but it doesn't matter, the handling is sublime, and get a good one and it will go forever. I've not driven mine in years (but I just can't sell it), but I had to move it to storage recently when we renovated the house. 5 years stationary in the same location, same petrol, same oil, same water, same battery, nothing topped up - plugged the battery in for about 6 hours, turned the key, engine started and I drove it 50miles!! Try doing that in a Ferrari

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
Fiorano is offline  
post #17 of 17 Old 10-17-2009, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member
 
Pete04222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: USA & Singapore
Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry O'Brien View Post
Chris,
My first proper sports car was a Miata (called an MX5 over here). It was a 1992 model (the original model) and I bought it in 1996. I still own it - it was my first true love (thank God my wife doesn't read this forum ).

They are a great car, completely underpowered but it doesn't matter, the handling is sublime, and get a good one and it will go forever. I've not driven mine in years (but I just can't sell it), but I had to move it to storage recently when we renovated the house. 5 years stationary in the same location, same petrol, same oil, same water, same battery, nothing topped up - plugged the battery in for about 6 hours, turned the key, engine started and I drove it 50miles!! Try doing that in a Ferrari
Barry, My Ferrari won't do that after 4 weeks! Heck, even my Toro lawntractor won't do that! Even my little weedeater I had to take the sparkplug out twice and clean it before it would run. Now my craftsman chainsaw, that starts first pull everytime. It is the Miata of chainsaws. Underpowered yet reliable, quiet and handles beautifully.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
Pete04222 is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
Copyright 2012 ONE Media, Inc.
FerrariLife is independently run with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA
Ferrari for Sale | Maserati for Sale