Panamera Turbo - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 10-12-2009, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 439
Panamera Turbo

Hi All

On Friday a mate of mine asked me to meet him at Porsche Centre in Johannesburg as he wanted to fetch a replacement steering wheel for his 993 Carrera 4.

While we were there, the sales guy asked if we wanted to drive the Panamera Turbo.

I must admit, it looks much better in the metal than in pics and in particular it hides its bulk exceptionally well.

As a passenger in the rear it was pretty comfortable - a bit weird feeling the car lower itself while stationary when putting it into sports plus mode.

When I drove it I was both surprised and disappointed. It goes pretty fast for a two ton car but at the same time, I would want 500HP to feel much faster than that. I would definitely rather have it than a Merc S65 (although I haven't driven the S65). I think they are going sell these things like hot cakes.

The PDK gearbox is admittedly very good and overall I was pretty impressed.

The drive home in the 930 was much more exciting though...
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-12-2009, 03:16 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,130
Interesting take on the Panamera. On Saturday there was a black one parked outside my hotel in Berlin. Looked good from the front but then the looks went downhill fast as I walked around the car. The rear looks like a bigger version of the new Renault Megane. Overall it looks like one person designed the front, another the rear and the first time they met is when they each arrived at the B-pillar.

How did you find sitting in the rear, as I have heard that the back seats are lower than the high and wide front seats meaning almost no forward visibility for back seat drivers?

Nice picture, it highlights how beautiful the silver 930 is in the background (not that I am biased!) For Panamera money, I would want the car to be beautiful.
post #3 of 6 Old 10-12-2009, 06:48 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 465
The only four door cars I have ever found to be beautiful have both been Jaguars: the Series III XJ6 for its truly elegant and classical lines, and the XJ40 for its svelte form. Maybe the handful (7?) of Aston Martin V8 4-door models form the 1970s, too . . . but that's about it. No four-door Mercedes, Rolls/Bentley, Audi, BMW, Porsche, Cadillac, Maserati, etc. has ever wowed me with its looks like 2-door sports cars do. But that's the price of comfortably seating four people . . . so I don't expect a four-door car to be beautiful, no matter what the price tag.

Tony K.

1980 308 GTBi

post #4 of 6 Old 10-12-2009, 07:07 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony K View Post
The only four door cars I have ever found to be beautiful have both been Jaguars: the Series III XJ6 for its truly elegant and classical lines, and the XJ40 for its svelte form. Maybe the handful (7?) of Aston Martin V8 4-door models form the 1970s, too . . . but that's about it. No four-door Mercedes, Rolls/Bentley, Audi, BMW, Porsche, Cadillac, Maserati, etc. has ever wowed me with its looks like 2-door sports cars do. But that's the price of comfortably seating four people . . . so I don't expect a four-door car to be beautiful, no matter what the price tag.
I too find 2-door sports cars more beautiful than 4-door cars. However in the 4-door class, there are some good looking cars. Such as the Jag XJ6. I would add Maserati Quattroporte (current version); Jag Mark X/420G; Lincoln Continental from 1962; Mercedes S-Class (all series until the "cathedral" from 1992); Mercedes 600; Ferrari Pinin (although glad they only made one or two to focus on 2-door sports cars); BMW 2800 series and 7-series up to Bangle's versions from 2002 onwards. To my eyes the Panamera falls outside this category of good looking 4-door cars and so no matter good it may be technically, it does not oversome this serious flaw.
post #5 of 6 Old 10-12-2009, 01:42 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 43
disagree

Saw a maroon one in the paddock area at Monza at the Italian GP. Have to say we all thought it was even uglier in person than the pictures. The friends I was with are all in the industry and own multiple dealerships and have a pretty keen eye for what the public likes...they thought it was the worst thing to ever come out of Germany.

I guess, to each their own; the Pontiac Aztec was hideous (and named numerous times the ugliest car ever) yet GM still managed to sell over 100,000 models

-Ron, aka Mille162

RaceChairs Performance Furniture * www.racechairs.com
***Forum members use "ferlife" for 10% off orders***
post #6 of 6 Old 10-12-2009, 03:54 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by mille162 View Post
I guess, to each their own; the Pontiac Aztec was hideous (and named numerous times the ugliest car ever) yet GM still managed to sell over 100,000 models
They averaged around 22k Azteks per year -- around 111k in five years (2000-2004 MY) if I am not mistaken. IIRC, they only managed to push a little over 6k of them out the door the first year. For a small car maker who sells expensive cars, those might be decent numbers; but for GM . . at the height of the SUV craze . . . they're not. The Aztek was, in reality, a total disaster for GM.

Tony K.

1980 308 GTBi

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode