What is it about the stupid clock? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 10-06-2009, 05:13 AM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
What is it about the stupid clock?

Due to work, I am gone from home a month at a time. Of course whenever I get back home the battery in the 308 is dead because the clock runs it down. A couple of years ago I installed an onboard battery charger/maintainer so now when I leave I can keep the battery topped up and the car will actually start when I get back home.

So I'm in my garage yesterday and I've got this cheap wall clock, about 12 inches in diameter, that I've had for as long as I can remember. It has that cheap clock mechanism on the backside that takes a AA battery. Well it strikes me that very rarely do I have to change the battery in that clock. You slap a single little $2 AA Duracell battery in there and the thing will run for years. The little clock on the Ferrari, however, will drain down a 40 pound, lead-acid car battery in 28 days. The battery is like 50 times bigger than the clock. WTF?

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-06-2009, 06:00 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
That's a very good Q Pete, though I haven't the faintest idea of the answer. I presume you don't have an alarm on the car that's also draining the battery? Or could there be anything else, immobiliser etc - is the clock the sole reason for the battery dying?
post #3 of 12 Old 10-06-2009, 08:28 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Pete ...your clock is haunted, you didn't know ? w/ smiles Jimmy

post #4 of 12 Old 10-06-2009, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Nope, the only thing running when the car is off is the analog clock. I have the same problem with my '82 Jeep. My Jeep model is a rare one and one of the few CJ7s that had the optional clock.

I'm thinking maybe I should pull out the clocks from both vehicles and install a couple of those wall clocks.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
post #5 of 12 Old 10-06-2009, 11:08 AM
IPF
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 290
Any number of things could drain your battery other than the clock, a.o.

- Trunk, hood, or interior light or glove box light that is staying on when the engine is OFF

- Aftermarket radios, CD players, amplifiers, cell phone chargers etc. etc.

- Electric seat motors and electric antennae motors that are stuck in the ON position

- Relays or components under the hood that are ON or running with the engine OFF - for instance electric cooling fan motors, anti lock brake pump motors, air ride suspension pump motors

A drip charger may fix this, but may also cause a fire, so I decided to stay away from them.

I always simply pop the front hood of my 328 and pull the red connector plug on the left hand side. That basically disconnects the car from the battery without any hassle. Before you go driving simply pop it back in, adjust your clock to the right time and you're all set to go.

Doesn't the 308 have something similar?

A horse is a horse, of course, of course, and no one can talk to a horse of course. That is, of course, unless the horse is the famous Mister F.
post #6 of 12 Old 10-06-2009, 03:39 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 465
My 1980 GTBi has a blue disconnect plug under the front lid next to the left headlight motor/mechanism. I had a 78GTS for a while; I don't remember whether it did.

Regarding the clock . . . my GTBi has the same clock, and the battery does not drain like that. To test, I would measure the amperage that the clock is drawing; I doubt it would be enough to kill a car battery. I would also systematically check voltage and amperage at each fuse while the car is shut off with the doors, etc., closed. See if there is juice flowing through one or more of the circuits, and narrow it down from there.

Tony K.

1980 308 GTBi
post #7 of 12 Old 10-06-2009, 06:22 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,839
Tony brings up a good point...Ever think about a battery cut off switch. Like a 1980 VCR, you'll have to pay some kid to reset your clock time every month but at least it won't cycle the battery. Only a few bucks at Pep Boys. Less than that at Harbor Freight (my favorite toy store)

Went digging through the mail a few weeks ago. Wife said, "what are you looking for, the new Victoria Secret catalogue" and chuckled to herself. I said "why the hell would I want that, I'm looking for the new Harbor Freight Catalogue". Dave says they have a 3 ton aluminum floor jack on sale this month....she suddenly stopped chuckling. Don't know what happened after that, I ran.

Lane

Previous owner of 348ts SS #64, Now Ferrariless

Last edited by Saint Bastage; 10-06-2009 at 06:28 PM.
post #8 of 12 Old 10-07-2009, 01:21 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,192
Ohm thinking that watt currently is wrong here is not the clock either...like Tony said.

you got a small drain going on

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #9 of 12 Old 10-07-2009, 01:50 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granucci View Post
Ohm thinking that watt currently is wrong here is not the clock either...like Tony said.

you got a small drain going on
Am presently inclined to agree...
post #10 of 12 Old 10-09-2009, 01:57 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,516
Oh my Gods, wat the frak is wrong with you people? You are positively insane. All this negative talk about some silly clock. Maybe there's just a node loose somewhere. Resist or ignore the temptation to fix the car and relais the problem to a certified mechanic. Releas the power. Flow to the workshop.

Or you can just batter your wife/girlfriend instead although I don't really see a plus in that

Last edited by Basosz; 10-09-2009 at 02:04 AM.
post #11 of 12 Old 10-09-2009, 02:03 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,516
On a serious note... sounds like you got a leak current somewhere Pete. Maybe a tiny short? Tony's current measuring idea sounds best on a long term basis.

A main electric kill switch is also very do-able. We have the same thing in our Fiat 500, but my dad just had to rig up a single thin wire for the radio so that it would remember the station settings. The rest of the car is behind a main key that we remove before leaving the car.
post #12 of 12 Old 10-09-2009, 03:20 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,192
^+1

It's a PITA, as I have to truly do the same thing, as recently the 456 gets too quickly a drain-down, but taking out a fuse, and testing each slot for a current flow will help.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode