Winter is here!! - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 09-21-2009, 05:16 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 25
Winter is here!!

Well, it's cold rainy and, in some areas, snowing today in Colorado. And, with winter, I am already begining to get requests (e-mails) from clients requesting their winterizing so they can put their cars away for the season. While I love the increased business, making the five hour drive - each way - to Aspen makes for a long week!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 09-21-2009, 08:35 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,192
how about a quick post on claying. I've actually gotten to the point, where I'm thinking this is a must for my daily drivers.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #3 of 24 Old 09-21-2009, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

First, of course, it is essential that your car is clean and has been properly washed. These days, claying should not, if properly performed, remove gloss from your paint's finish. In fact, if properly performed, claying followed by a good quality LSP should enhance the gloss of your paint finish. Daily drivers are, of course, more susceptable to the effects of the environment. A good way to test if your car is in need of claying is an easy pass across the painted finish. Stick your hand in a sandwich bag and lightly run it across the paint. You will feel small bumps or "tags" in the paint finish. These "tags" are likely from brake dust, rail dust and other environmental contaminants, which ultimately find their way to your car's finish. Also, tree sap is one of the most common contaminants bonded to your paint's finish. A fine clay applied with the approriate lubricant will enhance the look and feel of your car's next wax application. The key is plenty of the correct lubricant. Without the proper application of the correct lubricant, it is very possible to induce marring to your car's finish which will likely require correcting by a professional detailer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granucci View Post
how about a quick post on claying. I've actually gotten to the point, where I'm thinking this is a must for my daily drivers.

post #4 of 24 Old 09-21-2009, 10:05 AM
Owner

oooh, this is getting good.

ok, since you are in CO and me CA I don't feel guilty about the next ?

Mothers has a clay product, what's your take on some of these commercial over the counter ones.

PS: what is LSP?

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #5 of 24 Old 09-21-2009, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

LSP = Last Step Product/Process...Wax

I would say that, if you are going after an OTC, Meguiars would be a better choice. But, that is based soley on the fact that I have used Meguiars and haven't used Mothers. Whichever you decide, a fine clay with a good lube will produce the results you seek. In fact, Meguiars has a very good professional product line.

http://www.meguiars.com/estore/product_list.cfm

And, I do get out to Ca. In Atherton two weeks ago servicing a 599 and will be there again mid Oct for another service.

Quote:
oooh, this is getting good.

ok, since you are in CO and me CA I don't feel guilty about the next ?

Mothers has a clay product, what's your take on some of these commercial over the counter ones.

PS: what is LSP?
post #6 of 24 Old 09-21-2009, 11:11 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,112
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Wax View Post
Winter is here,
Bite your tongue young man

Night life........ain't a good life........but it's my life -- Willy Nelson
post #7 of 24 Old 09-22-2009, 05:45 AM Thread Starter

I know. I don't like it anymore than anyone else!!! This is the time everyone in Colorado begin putting their cars away for the season - I'm either WAY busy or nothing at all. But, I woke to snow on the grass yesterday and....10" in the local foothills!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Life View Post
Bite your tongue young man
post #8 of 24 Old 09-23-2009, 12:34 AM
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by got wax View Post
10" in the local foothills!!
dang!

post #9 of 24 Old 09-23-2009, 02:26 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,516
Quote:
Winter is here!!
What is the best way to protect a rust-prone car from wintery conditions in a dutch middle-sized city? Specifically protection against the salt we use on the roads when it's icy and snowy out there. Our 1965 Fiat 500 doesn't go out in those conditions, but we have two other cars and they're both old enough to get rusty. My dad tried something we call Tectyl (don't know the english translation for that, but it's kind of rubbery/gooey stuff), but that doesn't seem to work as well anymore.

Do you have any suggestions, keeping in mind that we don't have access to (apparantly typical) american stuff like Meguiars or Mothers here.
post #10 of 24 Old 09-23-2009, 10:37 AM
Owner

Bas, ya' know, I've always wondered why someone doesn't produce an injection film for keeping salt out of bad areas, one that only lasts a season or two.

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #11 of 24 Old 09-23-2009, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Bas, ya' know, I've always wondered why someone doesn't produce an injection film for keeping salt out of bad areas, one that only lasts a season or two.
You see now that's a great idea. At the first sign of winter, spray on some of this film, drive rust-free through the winter and at the crack of spring it's gone. I'm no chemist... but that doesn't sound too impossible does it?
post #12 of 24 Old 09-23-2009, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

If you're thinking the underside of the car, the only thing I can suggest is a torough flush after driving the car. If you are thinking of an undercoating, this will provide some coverage but, I just don't buy into undercarriage undercoat being a 100% preventative. As for the painted finish, again...a good rinse would be the best plan of attack after a good application of sealant. Salt gets up into areas of the car you can't see and, frankly, there is really no wax that will provide total protection from the affects of salt!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basosz View Post
What is the best way to protect a rust-prone car from wintery conditions in a dutch middle-sized city? Specifically protection against the salt we use on the roads when it's icy and snowy out there. Our 1965 Fiat 500 doesn't go out in those conditions, but we have two other cars and they're both old enough to get rusty. My dad tried something we call Tectyl (don't know the english translation for that, but it's kind of rubbery/gooey stuff), but that doesn't seem to work as well anymore.

Do you have any suggestions, keeping in mind that we don't have access to (apparantly typical) american stuff like Meguiars or Mothers here.
post #13 of 24 Old 09-24-2009, 11:38 AM

Got Wax, thank you. I was afraid of that. Salt really is a killer
post #14 of 24 Old 09-24-2009, 06:52 PM
FBI
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 310
Thanks for the tips GOTWAX.. What do you recommend for a daily cleaning? Just trying to remove the fine dust.

Winter what winter? Hottest day of the year yesterday! 30 C - 90 F

Cheers
post #15 of 24 Old 09-24-2009, 11:42 PM
Owner

Garage
Quote:
I know. I don't like it anymore than anyone else!!! This is the time everyone in Colorado begin putting their cars away for the season - I'm either WAY busy or nothing at all. But, I woke to snow on the grass yesterday and....10" in the local foothills!!
Not to rub it in lol but today hit a scorching 30c or 86f I went jet skiing half the day the other hung out by my pool .
I can't believe this weather its amazing normally it would be 15c-59f around this time of year.

post #16 of 24 Old 09-26-2009, 06:37 AM Thread Starter

I now use Chemical Guys Wash for most all of my customers cars. They also offer a pretty nice Wash and Wax or Wash with Synthetic Sealant product. Both are gentle and offer a bit of "topper" to your existing wax protection. With the winter weather fast approaching, the sealant would do best to protect your car! ALso, wash with a grout sponge - purchased from Lowes for $2.00. No dryiung with chamois - drags the wax right off your car!!! Get yourself a couple of nice microfiber waffle weave towels!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
Thanks for the tips GOTWAX.. What do you recommend for a daily cleaning? Just trying to remove the fine dust.

Winter what winter? Hottest day of the year yesterday! 30 C - 90 F

Cheers
post #17 of 24 Old 09-26-2009, 08:35 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 594
Garage
Quote:
Got Wax, thank you. I was afraid of that. Salt really is a killer
Bas did you know that most of the salt used on your roads actually comes from overhere. About 12 miles from were I work.

As to protection from it, I use a couple of products for the underbody and areas that collect moisture.

Under the car I use 'stone chip'. It's like a rubber solution that hardens and creates a protective cover. you can spray paint over it if you need to. It usually takes about 3 tins to cover the underside of a medium sized car.

The other stuff for geting into the drain areas etc is waxoil. Basically it's an oily wax in a sort of white colour that never dries. It like the stonechip has to be sprayed on using a compressor with a special gun attatched. I use it for the inside of the door bottoms, inside boot etc. It means moisture with salt in it can't settle and eat into the metal.

I've used it on all the old cars for years and it really does hold back corrosion over the winter months. I'm about to treat the Lancia with both the above products as I intend to use it over the winter as I know how Lancia's like to go back to mother nature

"When I was a boy, I had a dream. It now sits in my garage".
www.maranellohouse.com
Lifetime Honorary President NI Italian Motor Club www.niimc.net
post #18 of 24 Old 09-26-2009, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

These are great ideas and, what we commonly refer to as undercoating. But, end of the day, there will almost certainly be areas one will miss. A good flush with water is a great preventative!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENZ9_1 View Post
Bas did you know that most of the salt used on your roads actually comes from overhere. About 12 miles from were I work.

As to protection from it, I use a couple of products for the underbody and areas that collect moisture.

Under the car I use 'stone chip'. It's like a rubber solution that hardens and creates a protective cover. you can spray paint over it if you need to. It usually takes about 3 tins to cover the underside of a medium sized car.

The other stuff for geting into the drain areas etc is waxoil. Basically it's an oily wax in a sort of white colour that never dries. It like the stonechip has to be sprayed on using a compressor with a special gun attatched. I use it for the inside of the door bottoms, inside boot etc. It means moisture with salt in it can't settle and eat into the metal.

I've used it on all the old cars for years and it really does hold back corrosion over the winter months. I'm about to treat the Lancia with both the above products as I intend to use it over the winter as I know how Lancia's like to go back to mother nature
post #19 of 24 Old 09-26-2009, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENZ9_1 View Post
I beg to differ. Maybe it comes from your part of the world what amsterdam uses, but I (temporarily) live in Hengelo and we house AKZO/NOBEL where they pump tons and tons of salt out of the earth every day. I've seen the warehouse where they store the salt and it's bloody huge. It's also about 5 minutes drive from here. Sorry

About the undercoating: I shall advise my dad. Do you have brands/names for that stuff? I can look for it here.
post #20 of 24 Old 09-27-2009, 06:53 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 594
Garage
Quote:
I beg to differ. Maybe it comes from your part of the world what amsterdam uses, but I (temporarily) live in Hengelo and we house AKZO/NOBEL where they pump tons and tons of salt out of the earth every day. I've seen the warehouse where they store the salt and it's bloody huge. It's also about 5 minutes drive from here. Sorry
I stand corrected. It was a programe that was on locally that listed the locations were our salt goes.

"When I was a boy, I had a dream. It now sits in my garage".
www.maranellohouse.com
Lifetime Honorary President NI Italian Motor Club www.niimc.net

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode