I went to an incredible concert yesterday. - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 09-07-2009, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 465
I went to an incredible concert yesterday.

I've long since lost count of the number of rock concerts I've been to. Growing up in Cleveland, it's a part of life. I've seen some of the all-time great bands play, and I was expecting this to be a good concert, but I had no idea it would be one of the best I've ever been to. It was just incredible. It was one of those great moments in rock 'n roll that will be emblazoned forever in the minds of those who were there. Anyone on here recognize this guy?

Tony K.

1980 308 GTBi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-08-2009, 01:02 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,516
No recognition here, but please do tell. If it was really as good as you say it was, I'll download it. What kind of rock 'n roll are we talking about? POTUSA? Aerosmith? Led Zeppelin? The Who? Queen?

What direction must we think?
post #3 of 14 Old 09-08-2009, 03:11 AM Thread Starter
Owner

1980s guitarist/singer/songwriter. Straight-up rock musician in the line of Aerosmith, Led Zepplin, etc. Really only charted in the U.S.; I don't know how well known he was/is outside of North America.

Tony K.

1980 308 GTBi

post #4 of 14 Old 09-10-2009, 02:37 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,884
no idea who he is, but I'm not very good with faces!!

"When the going gets tough, the tough get going." - J. P. Kennedy
post #5 of 14 Old 09-10-2009, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Well, I was hoping someone (most likely someone in the states) would recognize the guitarist as Billy Squier. He was real big in the 80s as just straight up rock music in the vein of groups like Led Zepplin or Aerosmith; although Squier's success came in the early 80s, a bit after all of the bands that became categorized as "classic rock".

I was expecting this concert to be decent as I saw him once before as part of the Ringo Starr All Starr band and witnessed that he was a good guitar player; but I wasn't expecting Billy and his own band to totally kick ass and tear the roof off of the place like they did.

The band was a standard group of five musicians: two guitars, bass, drums, and keyboardist. The other guitarist was Marc Copley. I'd call him the rhythm guitarist except that he played some pretty intricate stuff, and backed or played along with Squier on various solos and such. Squier seamlessly blended playing lead guitar and singing, better than any I have seen; it looked like he had been doing it his whole life. He played better than what I've witnessed from people such as Lindsey Buckingham or Mark Knopfler.

As for vocals, many of these older rock bands tune their songs down a key because they don't have the vocal range that they had when they were younger; not the case with Squier! He it all of the right notes, all the songs were in the same key as on the albums, and he did it as effortlessly as he played guitar. I was quite impressed -- surprised, actually. And the band as a whole was spot-on; they were really tight. The sum of all of this -- plus an enthusiastic crowd like only Cleveland can deliver -- made it an incredible event.

I know a fair number of musicians, and I have often heard people say that musicians peak in their late 40s to mid-50s; I thought this was true of several old bands I've seen in the past ten years, and it's definitely true of Squier -- after watching some old concert footage of him from the early 80s, I'd say Squier is definitely at his best today.

As icing on the cake, this was the first bona fide rock concert that my wife has ever been to; we saw David Bowie in 2004, but that's more pop, less rock. I was hoping that my wife would enjoy the show; she's never been interested in rock music. As it turned out, she had a blast, and really got into it -- surprised me!

Tony K.

1980 308 GTBi

Last edited by Tony K; 09-10-2009 at 03:03 PM.
post #6 of 14 Old 09-10-2009, 03:09 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,193
Sorry. First thought it was Lindsey Buckingham from Fleetwood Mac

Saw them in '08: Awsome
Attached Images

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #7 of 14 Old 09-10-2009, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granucci View Post
Sorry. First thought it was Lindsey Buckingham from Fleetwood Mac

Saw them in '08: Awsome
I saw them (Fleetwood Mac) in either '96 or '97 in San Jose. From the 6th row. It was awesome! ...and one of the more memorable concerts I've been to!

(side note, I was living in the Bay Area at the time.)

- T

Tony K.

1980 308 GTBi
post #8 of 14 Old 09-10-2009, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Owner

...oh yeah, almost forgot: ... LAH!

Tony K.

1980 308 GTBi
post #9 of 14 Old 09-10-2009, 11:26 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
I always enjoy any form of live music played by proper musicians (not pop puppets miming to a backing track). Classic rock isn't really my choice of music to buy, but I always appreciate watching and listening to a good musician whatever their genre of music - it could be anything from an Indian tabla or sitar player, to a classical pianist to a heavy metal guitarist or a full symphony orchestra.

I'm a really poor bass and synthesizer/keyboard player - Lah !!!

Archie
post #10 of 14 Old 09-11-2009, 01:09 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,112
Garage
No way thats Squire.... WOW!

I loved his stuff in the 80`s unfortunately he is one of the artists that suffered from having videos on MTV. His one video was directed by a nobody who told him to act a certain way and dance around in the video, Billy did not want to and protested but gave in to the director eventually. When the video aired everyone thought Billy was gay and totally ruined his reputation and he never recovered fully from it, he tried to sue the director to no avail. To bad he kicks a$$, but the video is pretty gay.

Night life........ain't a good life........but it's my life -- Willy Nelson

Last edited by Night Life; 09-11-2009 at 01:43 AM.
post #11 of 14 Old 09-11-2009, 06:39 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Growing up in a home where we didn't have cable TV, I was spared from MTV. I didn't see that video (or most 80s through early 90s music videos) until I discovered YouTube a few years ago! That has to be the the worst music video ever made . . .

Tony K.

1980 308 GTBi
post #12 of 14 Old 10-20-2009, 08:04 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony K View Post
I've long since lost count of the number of rock concerts I've been to. Growing up in Cleveland, it's a part of life. I've seen some of the all-time great bands play, and I was expecting this to be a good concert, but I had no idea it would be one of the best I've ever been to. It was just incredible. It was one of those great moments in rock 'n roll that will be emblazoned forever in the minds of those who were there. Anyone on here recognize this guy?
Did not recognize Billy Squier, but I very much lust after his '58 (or '59 or '60) Les Paul Standard in Sunburst faded to lemondrop...

btw: if real, i.e., not a re-issue, it's value is a major component of his net worth - ranging up to US$300k.

Colonel1961
- - - - - - - -
Current: 250 SLX, 8.2L (Sea Ray)
Former: 308 GTS QV; F355B; 360 Modena Spider F1; F430 F1 (2x); 550 Maranello; 599 GTB Fiorano F1; 612 Scaglietti
post #13 of 14 Old 10-21-2009, 03:19 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,193
$300k!!

wow, thought they were more in the $50k or less range.

BTW: I like the old solid wooden tops, and old school guitars: here' ss one of mine I had custom built about four years ago. I call it my California Guitar as the neck has a grape vine up it, the bottom is CA-Poppies [had trouble getting the right shade, so they are not that yellow], and such ... the back, too personal to show, buth has much art work too. Solid Canadian Maple, with ebony neck....not great, but it's mine. Play only on tube amps.
Attached Images

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #14 of 14 Old 10-21-2009, 04:20 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granucci View Post
$300k!!

wow, thought they were more in the $50k or less range.

BTW: I like the old solid wooden tops, and old school guitars: here' ss one of mine I had custom built about four years ago. I call it my California Guitar as the neck has a grape vine up it, the bottom is CA-Poppies [had trouble getting the right shade, so they are not that yellow], and such ... the back, too personal to show, buth has much art work too. Solid Canadian Maple, with ebony neck....not great, but it's mine. Play only on tube amps.
Beautiful guitar - love the 335 shape!

Yes, I'll take all the LP Standards that you can get me from '58 through '60 for $50k! And I'll cut you in for half!

Colonel1961
- - - - - - - -
Current: 250 SLX, 8.2L (Sea Ray)
Former: 308 GTS QV; F355B; 360 Modena Spider F1; F430 F1 (2x); 550 Maranello; 599 GTB Fiorano F1; 612 Scaglietti

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode