Alfa's and WW2 planes at my local aero club - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 09-06-2009, 06:26 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
Alfa's and WW2 planes at my local aero club

I went to my local Aero club today as there was a very small display of WW2 planes and a gathering of the local Alfa Owners Club. I'd been invited by the local Ferrari Owners Club, but we were the only Ferrari in Attendance, every one else must have been put off by the cold and windy weather.

Still it was a nice morning out and great to see a Spitfire, Hurricane and Mustang close up. There was an air display over our village yesterday and we were treated to an afternoon of low flying Spitfire's, Hurricane's, Lancaster's and a Mustang. The Mustang sounds awesome when the wind whistles through its gunports. But the star of the show was the worlds only flying Vulcan Bomber which flew about 200 feet over our house, and then went into a steep climb, when the afterburners kicked in I thought my house was going to collapse due to the shockwave.
Attached Images

Archie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-06-2009, 06:30 AM Thread Starter
Owner

A few Alfa's and a black thing....
Attached Images

Archie
post #3 of 9 Old 09-06-2009, 02:01 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,516
Arch ! Thank you for that That was awesome. Love the plane pics. I really like old planes like that. Just last week I saw a P-51 Mustang, a Yak-3 and a replica of the DC-2 "De Uiver" at a small local airshow and that was plentygood. This looks just as fun, specially the Vulcan... I'd have died seeing that beautifull Lady again

post #4 of 9 Old 09-07-2009, 09:15 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 594
Garage
Archie, obviously a great day out. Cars looking well as usual.

That little blue old looking plane looks very similar to one that every year flies over a local little car show I support every year and with the "phut phut" out of it with the revs rising and droping quite dramatically at times, everyone wonders if this will be the year it just runs out of puff and drops into the local lake

Good read, Ta.

"When I was a boy, I had a dream. It now sits in my garage".
www.maranellohouse.com
Lifetime Honorary President NI Italian Motor Club www.niimc.net
post #5 of 9 Old 09-07-2009, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Owner

I do love to watch and listen to the WW2 planes. I love seeing them diving, doing barrel rolls and doing loops. Yeah I know modern jets can do it and can do it a lot faster, but nothing beats the sound of a propeller engined plane especially a Merlin engine at full throttle in a steep climb.

The P-51 sounds wonderful, especially that whistling noise.

We actually got treated to a second installment on Sunday afternoon (after my first post), there were 2 P-51 Mustangs flying together, one with the black D-day stripes and the other was in normal combat colours. Then a Spitfire and a P-51 did a fly by with a B-29.

The Spitfire and Hurricane did a fly by with a Lancaster on Saturday but I missed that.

Archie
post #6 of 9 Old 09-07-2009, 12:10 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,733
Great pics mate!

I love old aeroplanes (old Alfas aint that bad either...)

post #7 of 9 Old 09-07-2009, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by t1fosI View Post
Great pics mate!

I love old aeroplanes (old Alfas aint that bad either...)

TBH, I didn't really take that many pics of the Alfa's (Sorry Stu ), I was more interested in the planes. There wasn't anything that interesting there really, mainly modern stuff like 156's, Mito's, Brera's and GT's. There were a couple of Alfasud's which sounded great when they were revved up and 3 70's/80's Spider's, but the rest of it was a bit boring. Would have seen a better selection at a dealer's.

Archie
post #8 of 9 Old 09-07-2009, 01:42 PM

A real B-29? You're kidding right? I am going to kill you just for seeing that !! *insanely jealous now*

In some sort of seriousness though.... sounds like agreat gig. Too bad you missed the Lanc. Must have been the BBMF who did that (with the Spit and the Hurri). BBMF are extremely cool too.
post #9 of 9 Old 09-07-2009, 02:23 PM

pics of the Yak-3 and the DC-2 "Uiver" which was the winner plane in the race from London to Melbourne in 1934. This plane is a real DC-2, but a replica of the "Uiver" and one of only four remaining DC-2's in existence and the only airworthy one. The registration seems to be PH-AJU (like the old Uiver), but the plane is actually registered in the USA under NC39165. The dutch aviation made an exception to the rule that it's illegal to carry misleading registration due to the fact that the Uiver is a historically significant plane in the Netherlands. You should've seen it go... it's very beautifull with the aluminium skin and it sounds really awesome.

The YalkI have less to tell about since I only know it in passing. Still kinda cool though cause it's quite old (WW2 era)
Attached Images

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode