The Red Arrows flew over our house yesterday - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 09-05-2009, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 594
Garage
The Red Arrows flew over our house yesterday

Nothing odd in that I see your thinking. Ah but this is "Norn Iron", we're more used to choppers, stones, bullets and in more recent times Easyjets all over the place. They obviously on their way to or from an airshow thats on 70 miles form my house.

Which reminded me of something that happened just after we moved into our present house.

"Look, they're testing R/T's at work here and I'm bored listening to biddly beeps all morning".

Anyway, your all going to think "poor Stu has eventually lost the plot" but honestly this happened in May 8 years ago.

First let me set the scene out.
We had just moved into our new house which is in a row of bungalows or cottages as some of the owners like to call them on a nice quiet little country road.
I was happily mowing the lawn the Saturday afternoon after we moved in minding my own business. I have a petrol mower which is a bit noisy and was listening to Mike Oldfield on the MP3 so I could hear very little around me.

Suddenly I felt this really warm rush of air, and when I say warm I mean very warm. And I could see the grass moving about a lot, (it hadn't been cut in ages).
I actually started to crouch due to the heat and the force of the air.
I looked up, still holding onto my trusty mower, only to see an RAF Harrier Jump jet hovering above me, well slightly to the right of me by now. No more than about 40 feet above me. "I swear to you all, I'm not making this up to make you all like me,,,, more than you do already".

The pilot had cleary caught on that I was getting a bit hot and moved away slightly and now the nose of the plane was looking directly at me.
I held on tight to the mower and just starred at the thing. Then I realised the Co-pilot was holding something up with a word on it and pointing.
I walked sort of towards the planes side so I could get a better look, still clinging to my mower for some sign of reality.
I made out the name of one of my new neighbours wriiten on the piece of paper. I do have good eyesight, which wasn't great for about 30 minutes after my encounter.
I lamely pointed in the direction of the peoples house concerned which was just at the other side of the road on a bit of a hill.
The 2 pilots camly gave me the thumbs up and started, in hover mode, to move off in that direction.
It was only then I noticed people standing outside that house waving.

The plane hovered over to the house with the waving people and dropped enough that it was about 20 feet off the ground, which the local cows weren't happy about and all run away, and because of the house being on a bit of a hill it looked from were I was standing as if it was looking right in the peoples living room. It really was a sight to behold.

It hovered there for what seemed ages but was probably no more than a couple of minutes, then suddenly lifted and shot off.
It then proceded to do 3 circles round the area, (I was told later the whole village came to a halt at this sight), and then came back to hover mode at the peoples house.
The pilots did a wing wiggle then moved off, towards me. I had been genuinely rooted to the spot all this time, over 10 minutes now, still holding onto my trusty mower.
They dipped the nose of the plane twice at me, and I waved at them like someone who doesn't really believe what they are looking at is real but goes along with it anyway, then with a seriously loud woosh off it hurtled away!

No, I'm not nuts, and no I don't have photo's of proof, but it really did happen. My neighbour came over to me a short while later as she thought she better explain. It was her brother who was over for the airshow. He had phoned ahead to tell her to be standing outside the house so he would know were to stop and he would be there in 15 mins. He got there much quicker than he thought, so only had me as a guide when he found the area.
My Wife didn't believe me when she got home, and it was only a week later when she went to one of the neighbours houses to meet everyone that she realised I was still a little sane when the Lady from across the road asked had I recovered from the RAF plane coming to the house.

Right, that's put 10 minutes in but I better go test more R/T's.

"When I was a boy, I had a dream. It now sits in my garage".
www.maranellohouse.com
Lifetime Honorary President NI Italian Motor Club www.niimc.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-06-2009, 06:33 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,990
I am a fighter jet nut and love the Harrier......that is the coolest story I have ever heard....simply amazing.........

I think I would have reacted the same way as you.....just in awe of the whole situation...

Thanks for sharing.....

~

Mario

1990 348 TS (87284)

“I build cars for young men that only old men can afford” - Enzo Ferrari
post #3 of 9 Old 09-06-2009, 06:35 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
It's always a real treat to see the Red Arrows. It's one of the things I look forward to on the Sunday of the British GP, seeing the worlds elite formation flying team. Tally ho ol' boy !!!!

Archie

post #4 of 9 Old 09-06-2009, 02:12 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,516
LOVE LOVE LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE The Red Arrows. I've seen them on several occasions and everytime is a hoot 'n a half. They really are the world's very best Stunt team. I've seen the Thunderbirds IRL in Belgium, I've seen the French, Italians (also very good btw) and several other teams, but none make my heart pound faster like the Arrows do.

Stu... you really DID lose the plot, but you also told/sold a great story so you're even

The Harrier show is also a really cool thing to see. Planes aren't supposed to fly backwards !!!
post #5 of 9 Old 09-07-2009, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basosz View Post
Stu... you really DID lose the plot, but you also told/sold a great story so you're even

!!!
I couldn't have thought a story like that up, that's how you know it's true

www.maranellohouse.com
post #6 of 9 Old 09-07-2009, 01:37 PM

lol true
post #7 of 9 Old 09-20-2009, 04:23 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
Funny how things happen. The last couple of days we've been hearing what sounded like jet fighters over the house but because the cloud cover was so low we couldn't see anything. But this morning the sky was clear and low and behold along came the sound again.

They only did one fly over the house but were up for over 10 minutes in the distance, so I assume it was around RAF Aldergrove. 3 Harriers or the latest incarnation of them. Mother in-law (who minds everyones business) told us that she's heard RAF Aldergrove is closing this week and the planes are doing fly pasts all over the country. That's a real shame if it is closing as it's been an RAF base since the second world war.

Now if you wear glasses put them on. If you don't you'll need to squint a bit.

www.maranellohouse.com
post #8 of 9 Old 09-21-2009, 11:18 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,112
Garage
Nice shots

Night life........ain't a good life........but it's my life -- Willy Nelson
post #9 of 9 Old 09-22-2009, 12:21 AM

Yup... those are very teeny tiny little Harriers. The second shot is pretty cool btw, with the brush in front

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode