What daily car to buy?? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 60 Old 08-04-2009, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
What daily car to buy??

Hi all,
Totally off (Ferrari) topic, but I hope you'll forgive me. I'm thinking it's time to change the daily car - currently a 2002 BMW M3. Current thinking is along the lines of a 2005/2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage or Porsche 911 Carrera 2S.
The BMW M6 is also in the running.

Anyone got any thoughts or opinions??? The 360 is obviously staying in the garage, my wife has the Range Rover, so that's the kids transport sorted, 2 seats or 4, not a problem. Budget of approx 60-70K in Ireland (or 40-45K STG if I buy in the UK and import (and pay Irelands extortionate taxes!)).

All thoughts welcome...Thanks in advance
Barry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 Old 08-04-2009, 03:04 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 157
Slip & Slide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry O'Brien View Post
Hi all,
Totally off (Ferrari) topic, but I hope you'll forgive me. I'm thinking it's time to change the daily car - currently a 2002 BMW M3. Current thinking is along the lines of a 2005/2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage or Porsche 911 Carrera 2S.
The BMW M6 is also in the running.

Anyone got any thoughts or opinions??? The 360 is obviously staying in the garage, my wife has the Range Rover, so that's the kids transport sorted, 2 seats or 4, not a problem. Budget of approx 60-70K in Ireland (or 40-45K STG if I buy in the UK and import (and pay Irelands extortionate taxes!)).

All thoughts welcome...Thanks in advance
Barry
I know amongst many things that "Horsepower and Rain"="Disaster, due to the normally wet driving conditions in the land of the four leaf clover....If I was considering performance driving in wet conditions (An oxymoronic situation)...I would consider AWD as an essential and progress from there.....Mark
post #3 of 60 Old 08-04-2009, 03:13 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 465
Barry,

I like the choices of Aston or Porsche, . . . . but because you are talking about daily transport, the thrifty-minded person in me is asking, "What about the Jaguar that's built on the same platform as the Aston?"

Tony K.

1980 308 GTBi

post #4 of 60 Old 08-04-2009, 07:46 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Subaru WRX? Great handling and performance, good gas mileage, reliability and a shitload cheaper.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
post #5 of 60 Old 08-04-2009, 09:36 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete04222 View Post
subaru wrx? Great handling and performance, good gas mileage, reliability and a shitload cheaper.
I would make sure its the STI

To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.-Anatole France
"Dude, it's just math"-Pete
post #6 of 60 Old 08-04-2009, 11:27 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,112
Garage
Aston or Porsche

Night life........ain't a good life........but it's my life -- Willy Nelson
post #7 of 60 Old 08-05-2009, 02:28 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Thanks guys,
Not really mad for the Subaru's/Lancer Evo's even though they do represent great performance for your money. (plus my wife would refuse to get into it!!)

The Jag XK is on the potential list too - but I think I prefer the look of the Aston V8 Vantage. Though the 911 is still up for consideration, and having driven countless BMWs in the past (and one currently) I can't really not consider an M6.

At present though I think it's a toss up between an AM V8 or 911 CS2....

now just have to sell the M3 (anyone in Ireland on line who wants an 02 M3!!!)...
post #8 of 60 Old 08-05-2009, 06:08 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,130
You should be able to get a very good 550 in your price range.
post #9 of 60 Old 08-05-2009, 06:25 AM Thread Starter
Owner

I did actually think about a 550, but I'm not sure about it as a daily car. 20,000+ km per year in all weather - is it fair to subject a 550 to that, and would it stand up to it? Plus would I be bankrupt with the running costs (though I suppose a 911 or AMV8 aren't exactly cheap to run either).

What does anyone think - is there a Ferrari in the €60K (in Ireland) or 40K (UK) range that would work as an everyday car???
B.
post #10 of 60 Old 08-05-2009, 11:48 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
Barry, if you buy in the UK, 40K GBP should get you a lot of car for your money. Everything you have suggested is a good buy, but I think the Germans will have the edge over the Aston for reliability.

Some other cars for consideration:

BMW 635 Twin Turbo Diesel - a mate of mine has one of these, it goes like a rocket and averages 35 MPG. If you don't like diesel go for the 650, it's nearly as quick as the M6, but a lot cheaper.

Audi RS4 saloon or avant, or RS6 saloon or avant (old shape)

MB - CLS AMG
MB - CL500 or CL63 AMG
MB - SL any model

Jag XK8 - new shape, beautiful car and more reliable than an Aston

Aston DB9 - 6.0 V12, and beautiful

Ferrari 550

Maserati QP

Good luck with whatever you decide to go for, take the opportunity to test drive everything, and keep us all updated

Archie
post #11 of 60 Old 08-05-2009, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Archie,
Now I'm really confused. Had thought about a lot of those suggestions. In fact there is an 06 DB9 for sale down south for €75K, that's a lot of car for the money would have been approx €300K 3 yrs ago! New shape XK is probably a sensible idea but I think I'd look at it each time and wish it was an AMV8!!

I'm starting to think that the 911 is possibly the best compromise between, desirable, beautiful, practical and reliable. Better get the M3 up for sale now...!
post #12 of 60 Old 08-05-2009, 10:31 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Just to make things a bit more confusing, have you considered a:

Bentley GT Continental
Aston Martin Vanquish
post #13 of 60 Old 08-06-2009, 12:24 PM
Owner

Why not get another 360? One to keep special for the weekends and one for your daily driver that you won't mind if it gets a bit dirty or gets the odd stone chip.

The 911 is a very safe bet, but they are just so dull. Not wishing to take anything away from the quality and reliability of 911's, they are just so common. I see at least a dozen 911's everyday, and probably another 20 or so Boxsters or Coxsters.

The AM V8 Vantage or Jaguar XK8, are that little bit rarer, and to me they say, 'my owner could have followed the crowds and bought a 911, but he didn't beacuse he doesn't follow the crowd, they follow him'

Archie
post #14 of 60 Old 08-06-2009, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Another 360? Interesting, but I can't see myself doing it. One other thing I have to contend with is turning up at client sites, and at work (I have approx 30 employees) with something too flashy in the middle of a recession. I know not a usual thing to have to consider but I probably need something that does not stand out quite as much as a Ferrari (like an Aston!!!).
post #15 of 60 Old 08-06-2009, 09:59 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Another 360? Interesting, but I can't see myself doing it. One other thing I have to contend with is turning up at client sites, and at work (I have approx 30 employees) with something too flashy in the middle of a recession. I know not a usual thing to have to consider but I probably need something that does not stand out quite as much as a Ferrari (like an Aston!!!).
Best bet is probably a Maserati Gransport. It has a Ferrari engine, is much improved over the 4200 GT, and is quite a fun car to drive.
post #16 of 60 Old 08-06-2009, 11:12 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 157
When the illusion "Matters"

Quote:
If I was concerned about "appearance". Do you really think an Aston Martin is "Understated?". If you want to appear to your employees as though the economic downturn is also knocking at your front door.....Take the BUS!!!!!......Mark.
post #17 of 60 Old 08-07-2009, 01:59 AM
IPF
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhead Seeker View Post
If I was concerned about "appearance". Do you really think an Aston Martin is "Understated?". If you want to appear to your employees as though the economic downturn is also knocking at your front door.....Take the BUS!!!!!......Mark.
I'm afraid this comment is spot on: being low key in an Aston??? Wherever did that idea come from?

If you really want to play it down, best try something like a 550... BMW 550, that is. Fast, reliable and -other than M5s or 6, totally inconspicuous; even the bodywork and # of exhaust pipes are bog standard 5er.
post #18 of 60 Old 08-07-2009, 02:24 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Well the "like an Aston" quote was supposed to be sarcastic. My fault - I should have thrown in a couple of animations to make the point

That said it is probably slightly more discrete than a bright red Ferrari (if only by maybe 1%). Currently line of thinking is M6, for reasons of compromise between buying the car I want and driving a car that is "acceptable" to all!

I'm well off the topic now - but does anyone else share this "problem" -if you could call it that?
post #19 of 60 Old 08-07-2009, 04:01 AM
Owner

I understand your problem, last year I had to make over half of my staff redundant. At the time I had a 328 GTS and a 1 year old Mercedes C220 CDi Avantgarde Estate, so I sold both of my cars and bought a 2001 Alfa Spider for 5K as a little runaround. I have to admit the cash injection came in very handy as business was diabolical last year and my income went through the floor. Things have picked up again now and I have a couple of reasonable cars again. I don't think it would have gone down well while making people redundant(many of whom were friends) if I had kept the cars I had last year.

Archie
post #20 of 60 Old 08-07-2009, 04:08 AM
Owner

I meant to say that I really missed the 328 GTS, but not the Mercedes bus, it was horrible. At least I've got myself another Ferrari now, a 308 GTS so I'm happy with my compromise.
Attached Images

Archie

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode