Typical United Airlines: Great Response from the Passenger

Typical of United Airlines but they messed with the wrong guy this time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 Old 07-14-2009, 04:58 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
For you to bring up this topic, Boxer, you must have had your pleasant memories with the United Airlines ? But then, I presume that you fly business and don't tell me that the crew is just as bad as the economy class ? If so, that airline is history. (I had my little story with this airline few years ago). w/ smiles Jimmy
post #3 of 53 Old 07-14-2009, 05:51 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,130
I do normally fly in the front of the plane. Regarding United, I avoid them like the plague. Based on past experience, they are in need of a lot of improvement just to be classified as bad.

post #4 of 53 Old 07-14-2009, 10:18 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,192
UA used to be my only choice of travel in the US, or short to HI...but since they went 'bad' and then toasted their onw people on retirement not to mention loss of good maintenance, well, I am actively trying to boycott them.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #5 of 53 Old 07-14-2009, 02:45 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,733
Nice one!

post #6 of 53 Old 07-16-2009, 12:27 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,112
Garage
Ya those guys are Canadian indy artists from the east Halifax I think. That video has made major bad press for the airline they have paid for the damages, the group still plans on making two more videos on this subject eventually ending it on good terms.

Night life........ain't a good life........but it's my life -- Willy Nelson
post #7 of 53 Old 08-02-2009, 12:01 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
This is funny because United is my preferred airline. I know a lot of people who hate United but I've never really had a problem with them. The reason I started flying United was because United, at the time, was the only airline that you could go from Portland, Maine to Singapore without changing airlines along the way. Now with the merger of Delta and Northwest you can fly with them along that route but I've been flying United for so long that I'm super triple deluxe gold elite or whatever the highest tier level is when you fly around the world every month. Plus I fly business class so the frequent flyer miles add up quick. I fly the 895/896 flight back and forth from Chicago to Hong Kong, that's my preferred route. I like both airports, I like the timing, I like the airplane, I've never had a problem. The plane they use on that route is an updated 747 and I always like to get the window seat on the upper deck. It's nice. 17" Flat screen TV with all the movies and TV shows that you can stop and continue whenever you want, the food is good and I never leave the plane hungry. The seat folds flat into a bed and I get good rest. I know there are better airlines out there but United has done a good job of getting me from where I am to where I need to be comfortably and without any difficulty.

Got a long layover in Hong Kong? No problem. You go to the Red Carpet Club and you get free food, free drinks, free internet, couches, magazines, you can even take a shower if you want. It's all included when you fly United Business. I always have a 4 hour layover in Hong Kong, I look forward to it.

It is easy to knock an airline for poor service based on the limited experiences of a few people. I know of a saying in business that if a person gets good service they will tell 2 or 3 of their friends. If they get bad service they will tell 10-12. Now with the internet we expand that to thousands. The 98% on time and satisfied customers gets diluted.

Here's a tip for the un-experienced flyers. When you get on the plane and get seated, ask the flight attendant for a customer comment card. Fold down your tray table and leave the comment card in plain sight with a pen. I filled out a customer comment card on South Korea Airlines and got a response from the president of the company.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
post #8 of 53 Old 08-02-2009, 11:16 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete04222 View Post
This is funny because United is my preferred airline. I know a lot of people who hate United but I've never really had a problem with them. The reason I started flying United was because United, at the time, was the only airline that you could go from Portland, Maine to Singapore without changing airlines along the way. Now with the merger of Delta and Northwest you can fly with them along that route but I've been flying United for so long that I'm super triple deluxe gold elite or whatever the highest tier level is when you fly around the world every month. Plus I fly business class so the frequent flyer miles add up quick. I fly the 895/896 flight back and forth from Chicago to Hong Kong, that's my preferred route. I like both airports, I like the timing, I like the airplane, I've never had a problem. The plane they use on that route is an updated 747 and I always like to get the window seat on the upper deck. It's nice. 17" Flat screen TV with all the movies and TV shows that you can stop and continue whenever you want, the food is good and I never leave the plane hungry. The seat folds flat into a bed and I get good rest. I know there are better airlines out there but United has done a good job of getting me from where I am to where I need to be comfortably and without any difficulty.

Got a long layover in Hong Kong? No problem. You go to the Red Carpet Club and you get free food, free drinks, free internet, couches, magazines, you can even take a shower if you want. It's all included when you fly United Business. I always have a 4 hour layover in Hong Kong, I look forward to it.

It is easy to knock an airline for poor service based on the limited experiences of a few people. I know of a saying in business that if a person gets good service they will tell 2 or 3 of their friends. If they get bad service they will tell 10-12. Now with the internet we expand that to thousands. The 98% on time and satisfied customers gets diluted.

Here's a tip for the un-experienced flyers. When you get on the plane and get seated, ask the flight attendant for a customer comment card. Fold down your tray table and leave the comment card in plain sight with a pen. I filled out a customer comment card on South Korea Airlines and got a response from the president of the company.
Now thanks a good one! Esp the comment card.

Docf
post #9 of 53 Old 08-02-2009, 04:38 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by docf View Post
Now thanks a good one! Esp the comment card.

Docf
Yeah, the comment card is a powerful tool. If you ask for one they know you intend to use it. Refer to the flight attendant by name also so he or she knows that you know who they are.

It's not just for bitching either. If there is something you like let them know so they will keep doing it. The card I filled out for South Korea Airlines was one praising the excellent and friendly service I received. I mentioned, by name, the agent who served me in the USA and the flight attendent on my flight. The letter I got from the president of the airlines thanked me for taking the time to let him know that I was happy with the service I received and he was going to personally make sure the 2 employees I mentioned were recognised.

Capt. Pete
post #10 of 53 Old 08-02-2009, 06:48 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,874
Quote:
Yeah, the comment card is a powerful tool. If you ask for one they know you intend to use it. Refer to the flight attendant by name also so he or she knows that you know who they are.

It's not just for bitching either. If there is something you like let them know so they will keep doing it. The card I filled out for South Korea Airlines was one praising the excellent and friendly service I received. I mentioned, by name, the agent who served me in the USA and the flight attendent on my flight. The letter I got from the president of the airlines thanked me for taking the time to let him know that I was happy with the service I received and he was going to personally make sure the 2 employees I mentioned were recognised.
You are such a nice guy Pete....

To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.-Anatole France
"Dude, it's just math"-Pete
post #11 of 53 Old 08-03-2009, 12:34 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrishawk4 View Post
You are such a nice guy Pete....
Yeah, unfortunately nice guys finish last.

Tomorrow I have to get on a plane (United Airlines flight 896, by the way) and fly 12,000 miles to go to court to fight a legal action my wife is taking that requires me to stay 500 yards away from her. How much sense does that make?

Capt. Pete
post #12 of 53 Old 08-03-2009, 02:16 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,112
Garage
Quote:

Tomorrow I have to get on a plane (United Airlines flight 896, by the way) and fly 12,000 miles to go to court to fight a legal action my wife is taking that requires me to stay 500 yards away from her. How much sense does that make?

Pete throw her and her lawyer off their game, go in and demand that 500 ft is not nearly enough you insist on 1500ft minimum for yourself and 3000 ft for her from you........she won't know what hit her

Night life........ain't a good life........but it's my life -- Willy Nelson
post #13 of 53 Old 08-03-2009, 08:29 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Life View Post
Pete throw her and her lawyer off their game, go in and demand that 500 ft is not nearly enough you insist on 1500ft minimum for yourself and 3000 ft for her from you........she won't know what hit her
I wish I could but evidently halfway around the world isn't far enough. If I were on the International Space Station she'd probably try to take out a restraining order to prevent it from orbiting over the state my house is in. She's just evil.

Capt. Pete
post #14 of 53 Old 08-03-2009, 11:39 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,874
Quote:

....Karma, its a b*tch. She'll get whats coming to her...

To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.-Anatole France
"Dude, it's just math"-Pete
post #15 of 53 Old 08-04-2009, 01:51 PM
Owner
Elite Member

OK, so check this out. I'm in Changi airport in Singapore. (I'm actually in the business class lounge right now, just finished my breakfast and bloody mary and usin the free internet.) Anyway, when I went to check in I told the ticketing agent that I prefer a window seat on the upper deck for both legs of the trip to Chicago. He taps away on his little keyboard and tickets start flying out. He's putting them in the little sleeve with my baggage claim check and says, "You've got the upperdeck window for the Singapore to Hong Kong leg but for Hong Kong to Chicago I had to put you on the main deck." I was like, "there's no chance of getting on the upper deck?" He said, "No, upper deck is full but I've upgraded you to First Class if that is OK."

Cool!! Business class on this long-haul 747 is excellent, I've always been happy. But First Class is like having your own little apartment complete with a maid in the front of the plane.

Anyone can say anything they want about United. I like 'em.

Capt. Pete
post #16 of 53 Old 08-05-2009, 12:27 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
Quote:
OK, so check this out. I'm in Changi airport in Singapore. (I'm actually in the business class lounge right now, just finished my breakfast and bloody mary and usin the free internet.) Anyway, when I went to check in I told the ticketing agent that I prefer a window seat on the upper deck for both legs of the trip to Chicago. He taps away on his little keyboard and tickets start flying out. He's putting them in the little sleeve with my baggage claim check and says, "You've got the upperdeck window for the Singapore to Hong Kong leg but for Hong Kong to Chicago I had to put you on the main deck." I was like, "there's no chance of getting on the upper deck?" He said, "No, upper deck is full but I've upgraded you to First Class if that is OK."

Cool!! Business class on this long-haul 747 is excellent, I've always been happy. But First Class is like having your own little apartment complete with a maid in the front of the plane.

Anyone can say anything they want about United. I like 'em.
Excellent story Pete. I'll be thinking of you when I fly Cattle Class from Birmingham, England to Singapore in September, with my knees tucked under my chin eating my complimentary bread roll and water.

BTW, what's Tadjikistan International Airways saftey record like? I've heard the Russian built single prop aircraft they use were built in 1945 and the spare parts are hard to come by.

Archie
post #17 of 53 Old 08-05-2009, 01:42 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
I don't know the facts but I was always under the impression that the people loading luggage onto a plane work for the airport not the airlines. Is that correct or incorrect?
post #18 of 53 Old 08-05-2009, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiegibbs View Post
Excellent story Pete. I'll be thinking of you when I fly Cattle Class from Birmingham, England to Singapore in September, with my knees tucked under my chin eating my complimentary bread roll and water.

You must be in business if you are getting any food these days. British Airways has just dropped serving bread and water in economy (however it still proudly refers to itself as a full service premium airline).
post #19 of 53 Old 08-06-2009, 12:13 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
Yes, I heard about BA dropping their comlimentary food. Fortunately, I'm flying cattle class to Singapore with Emirates, by all accounts they are better than BA and they don't charge for a nitrogen, oxygen and hydrogen cocktail. My only experience of Mid Eastern Airlines was a few years ago with Gulf Air to Mumbai, and I wasn't overly impressed by the number of stops they made around the various Arab states.

Archie
post #20 of 53 Old 08-06-2009, 05:20 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Here's "Seat 1K" on United flight 896. I guess the only complaint would be that the TV screen should be a little bigger since it is so far away. There's a regular 110V outlet so you can plug in anything you want. S-Video connection and an place where you can plug in your IPod. I had the Filet Mignon for dinner. Couple of glasses of champange before take off, a couple of glasses of Cabernet Sauvignon with dinner, then a cognac and a good 3-4 hour nap. After that it was beer and movie time. Watched that new Star Trek movie that Bas was on about. It was good. They asked me at the beginning of the flight if I was going to want duty free sales when it was available and they would hold it for me in case I was sleeping. The flight attendents were very attentive and friendly. I might have been pushing it a little when I asked if she'd brush my teeth and put my slippers on for me (you know, so I didn't have to like get up or bend over or anything).

Kind of the ultimate geeky tourist thing taking a picture of your airplane seat but I explained to the stewardess that I'd never sat up here before, I always get stuck in business class.
Attached Images

Capt. Pete

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode