LeMans Race Report by Dominik Farnbacher - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old 06-16-2009, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 151
LeMans Race Report by Dominik Farnbacher

Dominik sent me his latest report for the FLife Crew. Thanks Again Dom for sharing with us.

Thanks again to everybody wishing me good luck..that is very nice of you guys.

LeMans was not what I expected...we had a lot of bad luck...with our Hankook Ferrari #89. I arrived on Sunday night, and helped the crew to build up everything, then there was registration and photoshoots on Monday and Tuesday.On Wednesday we had Free Practice from 6pm to 12pm...so there was a lot of time to set up the car for this highspeed track. We fought with a lot of understeer the whole weekend, and we could not get the front tires to work, also it rained a lot on wednesday, so the track was wet and dirty from all the daily traffic on the racetrack. But we found a pretty good set up so we ended up on 6th position. My teammate Allan Simonsen from Australia, drove Qually for us on Thursday, but it was very cold that day, and as expected our tires did not work at that temperatur, compared to the michelins, but we ended up on 10th place out of 17..so it was ok..Usualy it doesn't matter where u start in such a long race.

Friday was driversparade in downtown LeMans, man there were a lot of crazy people from all over the world..it was amazing to see 150,000 people screaming and cheering at us..haha.. So then the we had warmup on Saturday morning, our car was good that day, we ended up on 4th position, we changed our right hight...and it was a lot less understeer then in Qually.

Then the Race, Allan Started the race from 10th..he drove a single Stint in the begining, and improved our position from 10th to 6th after 1 hour driving, then it was my turn, to do a doublestint on the tires. So I fought my way up through to the Dunlop Ferrari, The Flying Lizard Porsche and the AF Corse Ferrari, and I ended up on 3rd after my first Pitstop, when we were at the Pits we only fueled up and kept the tires on, so I improved to 1st in the pits, and I was leading the race with the Hankook Ferrari for 30min.... then we had a tireblowup...man that sucked ...we lost a lot of positions, because I had to drive slowly to the pits...then Christian Montanari went into the car, he fought his way up again to 5th position, then later he had an other tire blowup, and then Allan Simonsen too...We could not doublestint the tires, as expected. But the tire performed very well in laptimes and was very consistant.. so we were far back after 12hour, when I went back in the car at night... I had a very hard battle with Joerg Bergmeister in the Factory Porsche of Flying Lizard...I fought with him over several laps...then on the entry to the Porsche Curves; there was an oilspill from another car and I lost the car in that very fast right hander...and I hit the tirebarrier a little...sliding over the graveltrap..but it was only a very light tap on the front bumber so I could continue, Then Christian Montanari went back in for the last stint...he came in after 1 hour saying the engine in overheating... .. a carbonfiber peace had damaged our radiator and we were loosing water...and the temp was pretty high; so we had to stop..usually when you continue, even when you repair it, the engine will not perform anymore once it overheats, you are done! So that was bad...but I am glad the Risi Ferrari with Melo, Salo and Kaffer won, they showed an outstanding performance, and earned that victory..Congrats. Porsche had 5 cars in the race, but no Porsche finished..they had Problems with Fuelpumps, Gearboxes and crashed too. Every farrari saw the checkered..ours was the only one which did not..haha..but anyway next year we try it again .

All the best Dominik Farnbacher
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 06-16-2009, 07:30 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 114
Congrats, just to have done what you have is quite an accomplishment for which you should be very proud. You are young and will return with hopefully many wins in the future. Thanks for your account of the race. Never get to hear that from an actual driver. Glad to see how well Ferrari did overall. This was very fitting esp. as the 430 production has ended and it can be remembered as a truely great Ferrari.
Doc f

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode